“Good old school bar”
Review of Nickie's 1971

Nickie's 1971
Ranked #33 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Went here after the Savannah marathon for burgers and beer and football. It's a bar with food, and all that goes with that. Smoking, cussing, laughing and pool. Not a family place so don't bring Junior, but if you want a good cold beer, a fine burger and probably the best fried pickles I've ever had, come here.

1  Thank Hank F

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stopped in here during the off season for a couple of drinks. The bar had recently been renovated and was filled with mostly locals who were very friendly. Rachel was our bartender and she was an absolute doll. The next thing you know, the locals are buying us drinks, toasting us with shots, and it became one of the friendliest places in town. Loved this place and will be back.

1  Thank terri E
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Please don't throw away your money- buy a frozen pizza at a grocery store - it will be sooooo much better! I was ignored for a while, before i could place an order, i witnessed a server go in the register, take money out and put in her back pocket! Never again!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I must begin by saying I am a frequent visitor to Tybee Island but Nickie's was one of the few places I had not eaten. I always thought about it as just a bar. I was walking down the side walk with a couple of buddies and saw a sign for steaks on the window. I cracked a joke and the cook happened to be outside and we ended up chatting. I relented to his suggestion we try it--out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. A steak in a bar? Well, as it turns out, it was not a bad steak and I was happy with the decision to go there. The steak was by no means a Capital Grille steak but it was cooked appropriate, from a good cut of meat and you could tell the cook actually new quite what he was doing. I was pleasantly surprised by a bar steak. We also got some kind of unique egg rolls. I don't remember what they were off the top of my head but they were very good.

We actually came back the next night for another round of steaks and they were solid once again. We also got the wings which were good. The fried pickles were mediocre.

I was pleasantly surprised by Nickies and will be back. It's not fine dining by any stretch but it is good food, right on the island.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Kitchen "closes" at 10:00 or when the last hungry person leaves. The Bar stays open until 300am. Both are reasonable in temper and prices. A nice place to end your night or start one.