“We LITERALLY NEVER GOT SERVICE! Bug in drink :(”

A-J's Dockside Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've never written a review this negative but then again, never had such a bad experience. We stayed on Tybee Island 5 nights and this place almost always had a wait so we assumed it was going to be good. We went around 4:00 on a week day and got seated outside immediately. The hostess was friendly but that was the extent of our service. Several servers walked to the other tables around us plenty of times but I SWEAR NOT A SINGLE ONE stopped at our table. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes go by so finally my husband goes to the bar for one of their "famous" bloody mary's. (BTW, the bar was small and depressing-looking) It was soooo spicy, almost couldn't consume but we were trying since it was a $15 drink. To top off the great experience, as we got down to about 1/4 of the drink left, there was a dead bug (I swear I'm not making this up) and you could tell he had been there a while. It didn't just fly in while we weren't looking. We left! Looking back I wish I would have asked for a manager and WENT OFF on the terrible service and got my $ back for the bug but at the time I just wanted out of there. I felt awful later that night and the next morning. Don't know a thing about the food but that drink did a number on my stomach and esophagus. Not good at all!

2  Thank TNWolfGirl
There are newer reviews for A-J's Dockside Restaurant

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a great seafood place on tybee its a little out of the main stream but worth the find has great out door space with a full bar and fresh sea food

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great bloody mary's, conch fritters, seafood bisque, and the list goes on. The atmosphere is light and a great locals joint that all of us vacationers have found. Must go!

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The seafood was very good and reasonably priced. The service was good. However they do not take reservations and stay very so it was a long wait for a table. Send someone ahead to put your name in for a table.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great food. Indoor atmosphere is not so great. We learned our lesson: next time, specify you want to sit on the dock. But be prepared to wait. See, on Tybee, the tourists go to Crab Shack, but the locals come to this joint.

At our table, we had Mahi Mahi, fried shrimp, fried oysters, cole slaw, all of which was quite good. The only complaint we had was from someone who ordered a steak- it wasn't cooked well at all. (Sorta what happens when you order non-seafood at a seafood joint).

For appetizers, we had conch fritters and a spinach dip. Both awesome.

The prices are right, here. You'll enjoy the wait staff, and the overall vibe at this locals place. And lets be honest: on Tybee, your options are pretty limited.