“I love this place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crab Shack

The Crab Shack
Ranked #4 of 54 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Cuisines: Bar, American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Crab Shack isn't just a restaurant, it's a destination! We seat more than 700 guests and offer both indoor and outdoor dining options. Both dining rooms and our outdoor dining deck offer picturesque views of Chimney Creek. Both the young and young-at-heart will enjoy our interactive, educational "Gator Lagoon" which is home to 78 baby alligators; our aviary which is home to more than a dozen rescued exotic birds, and our "Gift Shack". The Crab Shack offers traditional Low Country fare, including fresh streamed and boiled seafood and slow-cooked BBQ. We also have a kid's menu available with burgers, hot dogs, and pizza. The Crab Shack is and always has been a family owned business, and recently began shipping our entrees in ready-to-be-cooked kits through LoCo To Go. Stop by and experience all we have to offer for yourself!
Roanoke, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

If you want to eat local sea food this is the place. The dining is casual and they give you generous portions of food! Plus the you can see the alligators they have there!

Visited December 2013

Gallatin, Tennessee
“The name says it all...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

When we went here in July, I ate the low country boil with shrimp, sausage, potatoes and the best corn on the cob, I think I've ever tasted. I was not happy with the shrimp, but everything else was really good. On my last visit, I ate the crab legs. They were absolutely wonderful!!! I now know why everyone kept telling me that I must eat at the Crab Shack...

• Visited November 2013
Laughlin, Nevada
“Great service, food okay, not great as I had hoped.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were here On Jan 4th, 2014 a Saturday around 3:30 pm.They were not busy at all. There are enough tables inside and out to seat 600 people. We just stopped for an appetizer, but found instead a "low country boil" for 16.99 ( it contained shrimp and sausage, potatoes and a small corn on the cob) We split it. Most of the boil was fair, but the corn was pretty much tasteless. It was more than enough for the two of us. You sit at tables with a hole in the middle with a 55 gal trash tub and throw your garbage and paper plate into it as you eat and finish. Not happy with plastic forks, but considering how many they serve, it is understandable. They have all kinds of awards on the walls. I just though they should put more seasoning into their boil. It was bland to me and I'm a big shrimp eater. The couple next to us ordered a "boil" for two and it had enough food for four people. Depends what one is looking for and how big an appetite one has. You definitely get enough food and I would say the prices are reasonable. But I watched a server empty the trash can, by removing it and then bringing it back to the table, put another trash bag inside and then go to take customers' orders. No washing of the hands at all. Ans she was a middle aged female, who should know better.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Jeanne S
Clarkesville, Georgia
“Fun atmosphere; Substandard food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

It was a great location with alligators in the ponds outside; exotic birds in the gift shop. The food, however, was not that great to our taste. Friends we were with did enjoy the crab legs and shrimp boil. We couldn't eat much of the deviled crab sandwich (bread like and tasteless). But it was a pleasant enough experience. Kids enjoyed throwing their trash into the hole in the middle of the table.

Visited December 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Tourist Place, but off season is was nice. . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

The place is HUGE! It can seat upwards to 400-500 people (So we were told by a waitress) I can only imagine then, just how bad the service might get, cold the food might be or low quality. We just visited during the winter and the place barely had anyone in there, so as expected the waitress we had was on top of her game. Our drinks were always full and she kept making sure we were okay. The view and decor is different, but nothing bad. We ordered the seafood platter and for $23.00 we received about 7 medium sized steamed shrimp, about 9 crawfish, 9 mussels, cluster of crab legs, sausage, potatoes, corn. Not bad. We also ordered the crab soup and enjoyed it along with decent deviled crabs.
It was clear the some, if not all the seafood was frozen and shipped in, not local or fresh. The deviled crabs were heavy on breading with little crab meat.
Because of the good price, size of portions and good service, I gave this place a "Very Good" rating.

• Visited January 2014