“Worth the trip”

Ranked #5 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Crab Shack isn't just a restaurant, it's a destination! We seat more than 700 guests and offer both indoor and outdoor dining options. Both dining rooms and our outdoor dining deck offer picturesque views of Chimney Creek. Both the young and young-at-heart will enjoy our interactive, educational "Gator Lagoon" which is home to 78 baby alligators; our aviary which is home to more than a dozen rescued exotic birds, and our "Gift Shack". The Crab Shack offers traditional Low Country fare, including fresh streamed and boiled seafood and slow-cooked BBQ. We also have a kid's menu available with burgers, hot dogs, and pizza. The Crab Shack is and always has been a family owned business, and recently began shipping our entrees in ready-to-be-cooked kits through LoCo To Go. Stop by and experience all we have to offer for yourself!
England
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visited the crab shack a few years ago after visiting Savannah and it was amazing, on a recent trip back to the area had to go again. This time we went earlier and there was no wait, food was still amazing, learned season from last time, when kids ate most of my platter and this time ordered 3 of them, could have done with 4!! Well planning to go to Savannah next week as we were caught in the rain last week, so may be just may be we will have to go to the crab shack again :)

1 Thank eslick

treasure island florida
“Alligators.. oh my.....”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The place itself is awesome inside and out with many different venues. The food was good, shrimp tasty but it seemed the monster low country boils were the thing to have which we did not as we were on a stop over appetizer kind of trip. AND you can watch little alligators... and feed them if that is your thing.. the view is mine and it was pretty cool out on the deck.

Visited August 2013
Ohio, USA
“Not bad, could be better”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was looking forward to this place as I looked it up online beforehand and unfortunately for me, it didn't live up to the hype. Everyone seems to think it's the best thing going but it was really very average to me. The food was ok, my wife got the low country boil which had sausage, potatoes, corn, and shrimp and it was ok...it was a little too bland for her (and my) taste. I got the bbq pork which was pretty good, they only put a small portion of bbq sauce on it then leave it up to you to add more if needed (bottles were on the table). That part was good with me, as I was able to control how much flavor I wanted. The cole slaw was again pretty bland. Ok, not bad at all, just not a lot of flavor. That is about the most honest review I can give.

The best thing this place has going for it is the atmosphere. It was a very interesting layout with gators, birds, cats, and their claim to fame, you could eat in your bare feet (which I didn't see anybody doing).

Definitely good for the experience but now that I've done it, I don't have a desire to go back as there are simply too many other things to try next time.

Orlando, Florida
“I don't know if it was a bad day for the chef.....”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Most of the reviews were so great.....what happened the day we arrived???? My kids and I were there for the day at Tybee and I heard lots of great things about The Crab Shack so here we go!!!! Of course they love the looks of it what kid wouldn't. My daughter thought the garbage under the table was weird but she is used to eating crab and shrimp so understood when I explained why. We ordered from the Lunch menu, after all it was lunch. Neither of the girls liked the Crab Soup. I thought it was fine but there were crab shells in it (so you pick out some shells). This is not fine dining here at the shack people. I had the Crab Cakes again it was ok. My kids both had peel and eat shrimp which of course for a 8 and 10 year old I did all the peeling. They were good. I should have ordered 3 orders instead. Not sure if I would try it again for dinner. I'd try Uncle Bubba's instead. Lot's of people were saying how good that was!!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Emwinfrey
Maineville, Ohio
“Great Atmosphere, Good Seafood”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

What a cool, unique place! It has a bit of a "tourist" feel to it, but if you are a tourist, there is nothing wrong with that. It's a huge place with indoor and outdoor seating. It's tucked back along the creek away from the main road, which makes for a really neat location. Kids loved seeing the birds and feeding the alligators. The seafood is all steamed/boiled, and the sampler platters are huge. We all agreed that overall, it was our favorite restaurant that we visited.