“The only way to travel on Tybee”

Fat Tire Bike Rental
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Renting the bikes was the highlight of our trip.....besides the ocean of course! It's very inexpensive and the only time we used our car was to make a major trek to the grocery and a side trip to Savannah.

You have such an up close look at the island and the houses. It's also great exercise. Use the bike route on 2nd street to avoid the major traffic on Butler Ave.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We rented bikes for the afternoon to cruise around Tybee. It was wonderfully relaxing and so inexpensive $10. They even have tandem bikes. They give you a lock, a map and send you on your way. Very friendly man at the counter got us on our way in a matter of minutes. Fantastic way to see Tybee! Metered parking next to gas station to leave your vehicle. We road our bikes all over the wonderful bike trail and to the beach. Was really a lot of fun to see all the interesting homes along the way. There may be other rental places, but this is the real deal - right next to restaurant in red & yellow bldg.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

On a recent day trip to Tybee Island from Savannah, we stumbled onto a bike rental shop on the main drag near the beach. As I am not the type who enjoys lying on a beach, I thought that renting a bike and exploring the sites might be a fun way to spend a beautiful afternoon. I commonly rent bikes wherever I travel. What I discovered was that Fat Tire Bikes is a little different from the rest. No high end bikes with bells and whistles here. Just basic 1 gear bikes that you peddle backwards to brake. Haven't driven one of these since I was 10! No paperwork to complete or deposits to put down. Just an affable owner who wants just $10 for an all day rental. But here is the best part... He suggested that we ride these fat boys on the beach! The local beach is the perfect surface for fat tire biking. It is flat, hard packed sand with no stones or shells. It is very wide and goes on as far as the eye can see.
Biking on the beach was without a doubt one of the most fun cycling experience that I can recall. Where else can you cycle on a beach?
If you're going to Tybee Island and you enjoy leisurely cycling, do not miss this unique opportunity to rent a fat tire bike and go for a ride on the beach. You'll be glad you did.

7  Thank vasmaven