“Nice place to stay with the beach outside your door.”
Review of Desoto Beach Hotel

Desoto Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Stayed one night. Had a side view room with two queen beds. Very clean, considering all the sand that could be brought in. Nice view from the balcony. Having a parking space was great since the island is pretty much all metered. Courteouis staff. Continental breakfast was included but we didn't take advantage of it. Because it wasn't yet peak season, we had a good room rate. It was nice to have an elevator since we had a senior with us.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,223)

Reviewed May 21, 2010

The service at the Desoto is fabulous! I work in customer service and also travel for a living. I was very impressed with each person I spoke with from the person who handled my reservation over the phone on a Sunday afternoon to the front desk staff at check-in, the evening staff and the maintenance staff. Everyone was very friendly, competent, and quick to answer my questions or respond to my requests. The property is in excellent condition and we were delighted with our room, the least expensive on the property and the handicap room at that. Being able to walk directly from the property onto the beach was a real plus for me, though the pool was also well maintained and very inviting and we used it several times. We rented beach cruiser bicycles one day at a very reasonable rate and thoroughly enjoyed biking the entire island both on the beach and the bike trails. We also used the free wi-fi, though the signal was stronger in the lobby than the room. The Desoto will definitely be my first choice of hotels for future vacations. I feel like we've found our home at the beach! Thank you, to the staff, for a fabulous time.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2010

The staff was WONDERFUL, when we first arrived they gave us a magazine of places to eat and had some recommendations for us ,( which were all exceptional). The room was on the second floor and beach front. The views were incredible. The pool was well kept. We will definitely be back.....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2010

My children and I went for a long weekend. The hotel was very clean and relaxing. The staff was friendly. The rooms were in good condition. I especially enjoyed that the hotel was on the beach. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxing vacation. The only drawback was the weak wifi signal. I had to go to the lobby when I needed a good Internet connection.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I was hunting for a place to take my wife for our anniversary. Not wanting to spend a fortune, I liked the mid-range price of the DeSoto Beach Hotel. Not the cheapest in town, but who wants to stay in a reeking dump (that will impress the ladies, huh?)?

First impression: Excellent. Nice, new-looking sign and clean grounds. No peeling paint, etc.

Inside: The lobby is one floor up. Very nice and clean and professional looking. Not lavish, but NICE AND CLEAN and appeared to be newly remodeled.

Staff: Friendly.

Room: Again, clean and nice and no bad smells. NEW ceramic tile floor (huge tiles, btw) at entry, NOT linoleum or old carpet. HUGE shower. Private balcony with view of beach (yes, I forked over the extra $20 per night for the private balcony). Appeared newly remodeled.

Amenities: Nice pool. Recreation room (pool table and a couple of video games). Right on the beach, so that was nice. They've got enough parking for every guest, so you're guaranteed a spot.

Overall: Pleased and so was my wife. Not LAVISH, but not some dump that you kick yourself for gambling on. The DeSoto Beach Hotel is not a gamble, and that's the most important thing. I didn't want to gamble on a great weekend with my wife. The DeSoto Bed and Breakfast is right next door, btw.

Be Aware: I will say that you should MAKE SURE just what "beach front" room you are getting when you book this. Mine was on the third floor and center (302), so my view of the ocean was fine, but flanked by two hotel wings, comprised of this hotel and the one next door, so although I could see the ocean, it was only when I looked straight ahead. Some of the rooms to the side of mine probably didn't have a clear a view. Also, the BEST views will be from the rooms that are on the very END of the wing which flanked my view. It will be completely unhindered by any buildings, so ask about those (perhaps the most expensive, I don't know). I was please with my view, though.

Summary: I would recommend, and did not spend a fortune on this clean, nice, and odor-free room.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

After reading numerous poor reviews on this hotel we decided to try it anyway. I was suprised when I arrived to find this hotel in such good condition considering it is an older property. Overall I was pleased with our room and impressed with the proffessinalism of the staff. Give this hotel a chance and I think you will be pleased. It is right on the beach and just a few steps from the ocean.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank clayhole
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We visited in March. The weather was too cool to swim but we did run on the beach and walk the beach daily.
The building is fairly old and not upscale in any way, but to me, it's beat my expectations. I didn't expect the bathrooms to be as large or as nice as it was. It wasn't marble or anything but it was spacious and well lit and very clean. I also thought the refrigerator and microwave were a nice touch. The beds are very comfortable and our wifi worked just fine. the drawers were spacious but there was no real closet, just a hanging rack in the room. That wasn't an issue for me. I wasn't bringing dress clothing to the beach.
My only negative would be the daily breakfast. It's just bagels, donuts & pastries, cereals and milk. yogurt, coffee and juice but no tea. If you are a diabetic or on a restricted diet, the heavy carbs won't help you much and there is nothing hot and no fruit. However, if you have no eating restrictions, this breakfast will work for you.
An extreme positive it this place is a mere 5 minute walk to the beach. You just walk behind the parking lot and you hit sand.
We will definitely stay again. It's not a big chain so the employees may have different levels of friendliness but I was able to get what I wanted from everyone so i think service is as expected at what feels like a mom & pop shop.
Pricing seems more than reasonable for a place this close to the beach.
If you are expecting 5 star, this is not the place for you it's not the ritz. If you want convenience and ability to hang out in a non-luxury facility, this is just what you need.
I think it's a quaint , cute place and we had a blast.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
0 mi away
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!