1,359 results
All reviews room was clean heated pool continental breakfast ocean front oceanfront room private balcony desoto beach off season staff was very friendly and helpful yogurt laid back tybee island microwave properties sunrise florida
Reviewed May 21, 2010

The service at the Desoto is fabulous! I work in customer service and also travel for a living. I was very impressed with each person I spoke with from the person who handled my reservation over the phone on a Sunday afternoon to the front desk staff at check-in, the evening staff and the maintenance staff. Everyone was very friendly, competent, and quick to answer my questions or respond to my requests. The property is in excellent condition and we were delighted with our room, the least expensive on the property and the handicap room at that. Being able to walk directly from the property onto the beach was a real plus for me, though the pool was also well maintained and very inviting and we used it several times. We rented beach cruiser bicycles one day at a very reasonable rate and thoroughly enjoyed biking the entire island both on the beach and the bike trails. We also used the free wi-fi, though the signal was stronger in the lobby than the room. The Desoto will definitely be my first choice of hotels for future vacations. I feel like we've found our home at the beach! Thank you, to the staff, for a fabulous time.

Date of stay: May 2010
Reviewed May 8, 2010

The staff was WONDERFUL, when we first arrived they gave us a magazine of places to eat and had some recommendations for us ,( which were all exceptional). The room was on the second floor and beach front. The views were incredible. The pool was well kept. We will definitely be back.....

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2010

My children and I went for a long weekend. The hotel was very clean and relaxing. The staff was friendly. The rooms were in good condition. I especially enjoyed that the hotel was on the beach. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxing vacation. The only drawback was the weak wifi signal. I had to go to the lobby when I needed a good Internet connection.

Date of stay: March 2010
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I was hunting for a place to take my wife for our anniversary. Not wanting to spend a fortune, I liked the mid-range price of the DeSoto Beach Hotel. Not the cheapest in town, but who wants to stay in a reeking dump (that will impress the ladies, huh?)?

First impression: Excellent. Nice, new-looking sign and clean grounds. No peeling paint, etc.

Inside: The lobby is one floor up. Very nice and clean and professional looking. Not lavish, but NICE AND CLEAN and appeared to be newly remodeled.

Staff: Friendly.

Room: Again, clean and nice and no bad smells. NEW ceramic tile floor (huge tiles, btw) at entry, NOT linoleum or old carpet. HUGE shower. Private balcony with view of beach (yes, I forked over the extra $20 per night for the private balcony). Appeared newly remodeled.

Amenities: Nice pool. Recreation room (pool table and a couple of video games). Right on the beach, so that was nice. They've got enough parking for every guest, so you're guaranteed a spot.

Overall: Pleased and so was my wife. Not LAVISH, but not some dump that you kick yourself for gambling on. The DeSoto Beach Hotel is not a gamble, and that's the most important thing. I didn't want to gamble on a great weekend with my wife. The DeSoto Bed and Breakfast is right next door, btw.

Be Aware: I will say that you should MAKE SURE just what "beach front" room you are getting when you book this. Mine was on the third floor and center (302), so my view of the ocean was fine, but flanked by two hotel wings, comprised of this hotel and the one next door, so although I could see the ocean, it was only when I looked straight ahead. Some of the rooms to the side of mine probably didn't have a clear a view. Also, the BEST views will be from the rooms that are on the very END of the wing which flanked my view. It will be completely unhindered by any buildings, so ask about those (perhaps the most expensive, I don't know). I was please with my view, though.

Summary: I would recommend, and did not spend a fortune on this clean, nice, and odor-free room.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

After reading numerous poor reviews on this hotel we decided to try it anyway. I was suprised when I arrived to find this hotel in such good condition considering it is an older property. Overall I was pleased with our room and impressed with the proffessinalism of the staff. Give this hotel a chance and I think you will be pleased. It is right on the beach and just a few steps from the ocean.

Date of stay: April 2010