“Sweet Home away from Home”
Review of Desoto Beach Hotel

Desoto Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We were so happy that be booked our stay at DeSoto Beach Hotel! I was a great place to visit and stay while visiting Tybee Island. I loved it. The rooms were very clean, and had everything that we needed, including extra towels. The Beach was awesome! Very attractive location and we loved the breakfast bar too. I was just perfect for starting our day off right expecially with the kids. There was no sand in the rooms either which I was very impressed with considering we were on the beach. Thank you for the nice stay and your southern hospitality.
P.A. Larkspur, CO

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank GGGColorado

Reviewed November 10, 2009

We Stayed at the DeSoto Beach Hotel the Nov. 4th-the 8th and it was so awesome! water front property, private pool, very friendly staff, quiet, very close to fun activities and shops & the most important...The bed very comfy and great towels!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I can't believe how friendly everyone was. Everything including maid service was impeccable.

Clean rooms, great ocean/beachfront views, one of the best weekends ever. I wish all the places payed as much attention to their customers as Desoto Beach Hotel.

Reviewed November 9, 2009

We booked this room for 8 days. We booked the room with the direct ocean front view. Trouble was they neglected to wash the glass on the patio door so the view was through dirt. Upon checkin the bedspread had a blood stain on it and they had no replacement so they did give us a brand new blanket. The pillows on the bed are something from the Dollar Store, one also had blood stains, and they always had an odor about them even after we bought Lysol and sprayed them. The linens are worn (you can see right through the pillowcases and washcloths, the couch upholstery is getting thread bare on the arms, the door to the room was coming loose from its hinges so it dragged across the floor when you opened it, the a/c-heater unit had globs of dust chunks that came out of it when you turned it on, the room had a musty odor to it, the carpet and floor tile always had a "sticky" feel to them. This hotel has outside corridors so it was exceptionally noisy. Apparently they also do not have in house security because on a Friday night at 3:00AM a group decided to crash the pool (which is right on the otherside of the wall on the ocean front rooms) and the noise echoes throughout the facility. Parking is fine if you drive nothing bigger than a Honda Fit. You are also allowed only one car per room and don't think you can park on the street because the entire island is metered no matter where you are, even grass strips on the side of a vacant lot. This hotel is in dire need of a complete remodel job. We were here the end of Oct so it was "off season" and the room cost $1200 and was no way no how worth that price. I couldn't imagine paying "in season" rates for this place. The woman at the reception desk was very helpful with restaurant recommendations.

4  Thank NJFrequentTravelers
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stayed here 3 night because it bragged the only oceanfront hotel on the island.
I room smelled musty. One of the ceiling tile was coming down in the corner.
The sink didn't have a stopper in it!!
The screen door to the patio was bent so it didn't close properly,
When we checked in, we had no wash rags or face towels. After asking, they brought us wash rags and two bathroom mats instead of face towels.
They say the have free wifi but even after numerous requests, I was still not able to connect to Desoto 1,2,or 3. However by going to the corner of our patio I was able to connect to a server called "jewell" from a neighbor.
This place is in need of major renovation. The view of the ocean is wonderful and the beach was nice.
I would never recommend this hotel and actually would not encourage anyone to visit Tybee Island.

Sorry, but this is the truth.

3  Thank joberOhio
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We checked into the hotel on 10-22-09 and the smell of air freshener almost made us sick. We opened both doors to try and air out the room to no avail. I went into the bathroom and lifted the lid to find some kind of green foam all over the toilet seat. I called the front desk, No Refunds!!!! They made me feel like, soooooo what. We stayed a total of 7 hours which was all our heads could take. So if you want to clean your own toilet and smell air freshener for days stay here!!!

4  Thank deborah175
Reviewed October 19, 2009

This is the first time I have ever written a review and i ALWAYS read before i book. Unfortunately, i was not able to do as much research as i normally do. When I called lady was very nice, a plus in my book, but when i got there i was greated by the rudest woman ever. She gave me crappy directions to my room- i asked which way i walked and she said 'twords the pool' well it was dark and i had no idea where that was. i said is it on R or L she siad if you go right you will be in the middle of the street- not very helpful lady. Room smelled clean, but shower curtain had mold, hairdryer was missing, and coffee maker didnt work. Also, they advertise Wi-Fi, important when traveling and needing to make hotel reservations for the next stop- when i called my first night, and got miss manners, she told me all i had to do was click on DeSoto 1, 2, or 3.... Well, it ididnt connect, and i was tired of her rudness so i talked to a gentleman the next morning- he told me it had been out for awhile and they were trying to get it fixed. Ok, i ramble, bottom line not worth the almost 150 a night with tax! Tybee was great and i will go back, but far from DeSoto. Oh one more thing i had to take my laptop to the lobby to find my hotel- she had the TV blaring and talking very loud, an d she knew i was on the phone. iasked if she could suggest a quite place where i could make reservations and she said the library, i thought it was a library in the hotel, but no she was suggesting the PUBLIC library- it was Sunday evening.
Alright, i have said my peace

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!