“Desoto Beach Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Economy, Pennsylvania, United States
“Desoto Beach Hotel”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Very nice Family oriented hotel with nice pool and easy access to the beach. Well appointed room, and adequate buffet breakfast. We found it to be an excellent value. The staff was very cordial to guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
DeSotoBeachManager, Manager at Desoto Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank You so much for your wonderful comments, we hope to see you soon. The DeSoto Beach Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I booked another hotel online and arrived and found terrible everything. Left and drove to DeSoto. Spring break, but they had a room available for walk-in. Gave me discount for "walk-in". Felt much safer here, rooms were better and it was a good location. Parking lot a little tight. Best rooms will definitely be considered the OCEAN FRONT. Oceanview rooms over look parking lot. The hotel is "U" shaped and there is an echo from noises and especially talking that could be heard in room. Overall, MUCH better than the 1st one I went to - and I will definitely go back and stay at the DeSoto again.

Room Tip: Don't read reviews from just one website. First hotel had great reviews on one site. Afterward...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Anonymous0621
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Great location right on beach and not too large. Pool is on small side but heated. Continental breakfast is nothing to write home about. Despite fairly new renovations, storage in room is not well planned. For example, there are 2 very deep drawers where 4 less deep ones would have been much more useful. No good place to store luggage. Bathroom is cramped.

2 Thank robtlinda
Thank You for your comments, you are correct we just finished the renovations this past January, however maybe not the best pick on the drawer set up, and I do apologize for the storage situation. We hope you return to our wonderful family of properties, maybe one of our Terraces would work better they have much more storage in them set up like an apartment. Thank You again hope to see you soon.
Chapin
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Very convenient to beach and this was important to us. Staff set up out chairs and umbrellas we rented. Made it easy for a last minute trip to beach. Room was clean and staff was friendly. Hallways and game room could use an update. Arcade games were not working. Beach was not crowded and beautiful! A short drive to the busier part of tybee. Walking distance to some places to eat though. Go to The Breakfast Club and AJs! We will be back!

1 Thank Ceasler
DeSotoBeachManager, Manager at Desoto Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank You for your review, we hope you return soon!
Cleveland, Georgia
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I travel to the area often on business and split my stay either on Tybee or Savannah. This trip was back to Tybee. The Desoto staff at check in was not friendly at all and after a long drive you would at least like a smile much like what you get at the Hyatt on Bay St. and for the same of less price. We were never told about breakfast or offered any other information regarding amenities. There was no one there but me, so it was not like I was holding up the line. When I asked about the cottages she stated there were no cottages there, and when I told her I stayed next door last time, she corrected me that they were terraces, not cottages in a very rude manner.
Even though there have been some significant improvements to the rooms, we found one hand towel and one wash cloth. The pillows are so bad that we will bring our own if we come back. Not only are they so cheap and flat, but they smelled like bed head stink.
At least we did not watch one of your housekeepers physically assault a visitor like before.
The pool area was found to be very clean although I never go in simply because there are no restrooms available nearby and I know that encourages people; especially children to just pee in the pool.
The fact that you can just walk right out the door onto the beach is most appealing to some folks so the location is very good. I only saw one cat this time so I must say that I missed the cats as I am sure you do not. (smile)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Brenda D
Thank You for your response, we sincerely do apologize for the employee, we are going thru some training of some new staff and unfortunately they all don't make it! We do hope that you try us again upon your return to Tybee Island.
Holly Springs, Georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The hotel rooms were clean. The set up was a bit different. No bathrooms down at pool, had to go to your room. House keeping was horrible, first day the didn't vacuum and left dirty towels. I went to front desk and they said they would make sure they cleaned and again, no towels left at all. Beds poorly made,floor not vacuumed , no toilet paper or toiletries. I called and they said they would clean. So we waited an hour to go up and they still had not cleaned and the front desk had no appoligies. The girl that did clean room was very nice and she felt bad for the service we had been given. It's too bad that no one cares about their job. I will say they had a few staff members that were very nice but management was just terrible.

1 Thank Shanmitchtrace
Thank You for your response, I am working with our housekeeping department so as I can assure you this won't happen again, we pride our selves on being very clean and offering friendly service, I do apologize you had these issues and hope that you give us another try when you return to Tybee Island.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I think the higher price is for the location. It is right on the ocean. We did not have ocean view but it was not important since we were there for only one night. The beds were very comfortable. That fact alone would get me to come again if I were passing that way again. The rooms are small and have been updated. TVs are new flat screens and there are plugs for charging your electronics easily accessible at desk level. (Those little things help.) Even with updating, you don't get the feel of luxury except for the beds. Modest for the rest is a better word. Cleanliness of bath area was average. Take time to eat at Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House (off island but not far).

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!