“Terrible!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Desoto Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
“Terrible!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for a week and out of the seven days my room was NOT cleaned twice!!
Yes you herd right they didn't make my bed, and they didn't stocked me up with toiletries. The rooms are outdated and the photos that the HOTEL has on the website are NOT accurate! When I asked to speak to the manager I was told that they were not on duty all weekend long. I guess this hotel doesn't believe in southern hospitality!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Yromero
DeSotoBeachManager, Manager at Desoto Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
I deeply regret your dissatisfaction with your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide award winning service and it is apparent that we did not provide that to you. The feedback that you provided is appreciated because we know it will only make us better. We have just recently made a management change, so we do hope that you join us again when returning to Tybee Island.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We only stayed here on night, but it was a good price for an ocean view. The room bedding and furniture is dated and the bed was not all that comfortable. The staff here were very nice. Small pool. It worked for us, as was in a good location, close to a lot of the restaurants on either end of the island.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Milford, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family and I stayed in the 3rd floor Desoto Terrace from July 7th-12th. Upon entering, we were greeted to a filthy mess. The front porch/balcony was littered with the previous tenants food plates, food debris, etc... My husband spent the first hour of our stay literally hosing down the porch. The smaller balcony off the second bedroom was even more shocking. It was littered with beer bottles, garbage, cigarettes, and even a bed sheet on the roof that was covered in mold. I have included photos of this in my review. The floors of the Terrace were filthy and looked to have not been cleaned in a very, very long time. It was not pleasant walking in other people's grime. I notified the desk staff in person about the state of the Terrace and took along pictures I had taken on my phone as well. We were given 20% off our first night and assured that the head of the cleaning department would personally come do a "deep cleaning" the next day while we were gone. The person that came the next day to "clean" did not, in fact, clean anything. She stocked fresh towels, emptied the garbage can, started the dishwasher then asked me if that was all I needed. I asked her if she had taken a look at the back balcony(she hadn't). I proceeded to tell her about the state in which we found the Terrace upon arrival. She cleared the garbage off the back balcony but never actually CLEANED anything. My children would not even use the back balcony our entire stay. I had another conversation with the desk staff about the second "cleaning". Nothing further was done. I also notified them that two of the ceiling fans would not operate and the master bedroom bed was broken(the entire frame was on the floor). My husband and I had to dismantle the entire bed and fix it ourselves. The lack of pride and attention to the upkeep of the property was disappointing. Minus the housekeeping issues, the Terrace was a phenomenal place to stay. It is literally a few steps off the beach itself. The ease of being that close and having an unobstructed view of the beach and ocean was priceless! It was so nice to be able to let our kids go back and forth between the Terrace and beach and be able to fully see them/they could see us. There is an outdoor shower by the steps of the property for a quick rinse off. The balcony of the 3rd floor is heavily furnished so there is no lack of seating.The inside of the Terrace is very nicely furnished and extremely comfortable. It has an open layout feel which would be great for larger families. The kitchen was surprisingly very well stocked. The only thing I needed that I didn't find was measuring spoons. They state they don't provide coffee filters but there were filters and I left behind a full pack so filters are technically provided. The only thing we found to be inconvenient about the kitchen was that the refridgerator was barely cold. We ended up putting our drinks in the freezer to chill before we drank them. The hotel itself is only a parking lot away from the Terrace or a quick one minute walk through the sand. The hotel pool is VERY tiny but it was nice to have access to it. The game room adjoining the pool is a joke. Every machine(there aren't many) including the pool table took my kids' money and didn't play. Overall, our stay here was great. We would stay here again in a heartbeat but not before having a discussion with the manager beforehand about our expectations of cleanliness.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor has a phenomenal, unobstructed view. 2nd Floor has a partially obstructed but still nice v...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cherie H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel was fine, but nothing special. The room was adequate. We paid extra for a "view," but we had to look between two buildings and across the parking lot to see the ocean. The staff was nice. The pool saved the experience for me. Though small, it was heated and felt great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
sandyville, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

A great place to stay. Ebony at the front desk was helpful and efficient at check in and greeted us every morning at breakfast. We stayed in the Hernado suite right off of the lobby. It had plenty of room for our party of five and had a jack and jill bathroom. Hotel is right on the beach and has a crystal clear pool. Wendy,(who I think is the manager) gave us great restaurant suggestions. Room was clean and beds were super comfy. We had a great stay and will definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank boysaremean
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just got back from a great stay at the desoto. We did pay the extra money for the deluxe ocean front room. It was well worth the extra money! They put us in room 315 which is the 3rd floor. It was so relaxing to be able to sit on the patio and hear the ocean. The room was clean and we had plenty of space. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They made great suggestions for where to eat. They were also very helpful when my daughter locked the safe and we could not get it open. I would go back in a heartbeat! Thank you desoto for helping make our vacation wonderful!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 days in the 3 room suite. The room was clean. The breakfast was cereal and muffins. The view and walk to the beach is nice. With a room capacity of 8 and we had 5 you think they would provide two parking spots. Nope we had to pay 45 bucks to keep the other car on a meter out front. Which is cool but they should of let us know before hand. The front desk isn't very friendly. The night shift lady was she should be on days. The maids were

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank jeepingaround
I deeply regret your dissatisfaction with your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide award winning service and it is apparent that we did not provide that to you. The feedback that you provided is appreciated because we know it will only make us better. We have just recently gone through a management change, and we hope you stay with us upon returning to Tybee Island.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tybee Island
#1 of 8 in Tybee Island
Tybee Island Inn
Tybee Island Inn
#4 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!