“Very Nice and Clean”
Review of Desoto Beach Hotel

Desoto Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Yes, Tybee is different in that it is more of an old-fashioned beach town with more houses than hotels or motels so be prepared; however, our room at the DeSoto was as nice as an average priced room at Disneyworld. We were allowed to view the room before booking since we had read such questionable reviews to see if it was to our satisfaction and were very impressed with the re-modeling. There were no smells! Our room was in the main building so we were close to the elevator, the front desk and the coffee. The room looked brand new with a new, hard mattress on the bed; modern decor; refreshingly painted; updated furniture; and a large shower. The staff was friendly and helpful with our questions and could not have been more accommodating. Tybee is not Hilton Head or Destin so again be prepared. On the beach in Tybee is not on the beach in Florida. If and when I should go back to Tybee, I would definitely stay at the Desoto.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank GeorgiaAbe

Reviewed February 19, 2008

Beware! Get rate guaranteed in writing! It was much more expensive upon our arrival. Smoke Free room smelled of heavy smoke and mold. Paint and bedspreads are fairly new, presenting initial good appearance, but the smell is awful after getting under the sheets. No blanket provided and only 2 small towels, no matter how many in your reservation. Owner/manager unavailable and desk person not permitted to grant refund or move guests to suitable rooms within small, almost empty complex. Owner is heavy smoker and apparently forced by local laws and insurance to pretend to be smoke free, but actually caters to smokers and heavy partying crowd. Not appropriate for families or children. Very noisy as a result of cheap and shoddy construction. Inadequate parking. Pool is tiny.
Most unpleasant situation. I am a travel professional!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TripwriterVirginia
desotohotelmanager, Owner/General Manager at Desoto Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2008

I have owned the DeSoto Beach Hotel for almost 10 years and can accept criticism from our guests and take them very seriously. However, this particular guest review is completely & underly false and does not at all represent the way we do business. This guest was so unruly to deal with that we actually received telephone calls from other guests asking us to have this lady leave them alone. She would bother every guest she saw and apparently was the only person not enjoying their stay. In the morning we told her that we did not want her to stay another night and my hotel manager found her another hotel to stay at the same price. We left several voice mail messages which she failed to answer. When she returned that evening I was called and was told about how she was treating the front desk employee so rudely that I called the police & wanted her to be escorted off the property. I felt compelled to share the DeSoto Beach Hotel's position with TripAdvisor Travelers.

Reviewed November 19, 2007

I requested information about rates and availabilty using the email address in their "Contact Us" section and got no reply.

Instead, I called and was quoted $99 for the first night and $89 for the second night. I should have required them to email me to confirm this price. On arrival I was told the first night was $159 and the second was $89. Spoke to two people on site about the discrepancy, and neither was willing to help.

The property and location are okay -- nothing special, and the place is in need of some general cleaning and maintenance.

In short, keep your expectations low and get a price in writing before you arrive.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiveShots
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Look, folks, the whole island needs a pressure wash and some serious updating. ALL the accomodations on offer are old and overpriced, but it's the closest decent beach to my home in Atlanta. After trying many of the other hotels on the island, I stay at the DeSoto because the staff is friendly, efficient and local; it's within walking distance of the resort and bar area, but far enough away for minimal noise and crowding; and since I'll be spending about the same $ anyway, I'd rather spend it with what seems to be a family-owned hotel in a building that's a little more interesting than the cookie-cutter 1970s chain hotels.

Tips: As someone has mentioned, parking is extremely crowded and you get ONE spot per room. Be warned. However, if you can't be bothered with the 20-point turn there is ample public and street parking on the island.

"Breakfast"...isn't. If you want something more than a few powdered and petrified grocery store doughnuts, plan on going to one of the nearby cafes, or plan ahead and get something from the island's IGA (not to be missed - THE place to feel like a native. And by the time you get served, you will be)!

All in all, this is a little more laid back and pleasant than the corporate vacation experience down the road and not the worst place on the island to spend a weekend. It's in line with island standards - just be aware before you go that island standards simply aren't that high.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
7  Thank corwinky
Reviewed September 21, 2007

On their internet website they advertise that a newspaper is left at your door-NOT! If you get to the complimentary breakfast early in the morning you may pick up one of few newspapers available. I arrived around 8:15 AM two mornings and all the papers had been picked up. Also, they ran out of coffee and they do not keep the donuts etc supplied like they should. The rooms do have a safe which is nice although it took forever to get the front desk to unlock ours so we could began using it. The bathrooms need improving and for two days out of five we stayed, we did not have washcloths-the maid said they were being washed and that didn't have enough for resupply. They advertise like they are a five star hotel but actually I would give them a two star rating.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank rebel56
Reviewed July 14, 2007

We stayed in the "deluxe ocean front rooms". The ocean front was certainly accurate but the deluxe was not. We were met with a strong scent of stale urine as we first went up the steps. The door was still difficult to open as mentioned in a previous review. The carpet
was gritty and filthy. The blanket for the sofa bed was full of sand. There were few electric outlets available, I had to take a drawer out of the attached night stand to find an extension cord for my sleep apnea machine. The air conditioner was very inadequate for the room, we did okay after we went to Wal Mart and bought a fan. Staff were generally friendly and somewhat helpful except for one incident. We had went to Savannah for the evening and got back around 11pm for the night, to find there was no parking available for us. The staff member searched the lot and found two cars that weren't registered. The best she could offer was for us to park on the street and if we were issued a parkiing ticket the management would pay for it. She was sympathetic but couldn't do much. The manager the next am was less friendly and offered absolutely nothing to make the situation better.

On the positive side the proximity to the beach was great. The location on the island was very convenient. The beach was very clean and the swimming was great. We actually did have a nice time in the area. I will probably look elsewhere for lodging if we ever return to the area, but if you really want to be close to the beach and don't mind where you sleep this is probably okay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank docinla
Reviewed January 8, 2007

I've been a hotel manager for many years and one thing I have learned is to be up front about what your hotel has to offer. I called the DeSoto direct to inquire about a room for a recent Saturday night stay. During the call I questioned the clerk specifically about their Oceanfront Hotel and informed them of my desire to be on the beach. The only reason we were driving 200 miles was to see the sunrise on the ocean. Rate, room type, amenties and breakfast were not important to me. All I wanted was to be on the beach. They assured me my room was going to be right on the beach, on the sand and an unobstructed view of the ocean. Upon arrival I was given a room five feet from the breakfast bar, twenty feet from the front desk, a parking lot and partial ocean view (picture attached) and no sounds of the beach, just the noise of guests in the lobby.
The clerk was matter of fact and only could offer a similar room with even less of a view.
Cleanliness was below average.
No, the sun did not come up between the buildings.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!