“Hold onto your credit card!”
Review of Desoto Beach Hotel

Desoto Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This was our third time staying at this hotel on our summer vacation. The rooms aren't spectacular but have always been reasonably comfortable and the staff has been friendly. However, this time before our arrival my credit card was charged for the entire amount before my arrival. I always check my balance before I make a major purchase so when we arrived at 4:45 I was upset because for at least fifteen minutes I thought that almost $600 had been charged to my card by someone without my permission. It turns out that this is a rather unclear hotel policy. I have a problem with this since I expect to be in control of my money at all times. I was angry and went upstairs to complain and then removed myself from the hotel office because I was really mad. Other family members took care of the matter. The young ladies working at the front desk were fairly reasonable but the co-owner (who has recently taken over management) was there and rather than helping spent the entire time justifying herself and her rights to charge the full amount whenever she wanted. She then said that we could leave if we wanted and she wouldn't charge me. We decided to stay for two reasons, first, she had already charged the entire amount and I really didn't trust her to take the charge off, second, my seven year old was heartbroken at the idea of us leaving.
I paid a rate of $170 a night and later when I went to the beach I found a couple who had been offered a rate of $130 a night for the same room type by this owner. The room smelled smokey and the wifi worked but sometimes was very slow whereas last year it hadn't worked at all. To use the wifi you have to call down to the office and get a login and password. I don't know why they don't give you this information at check-in, especially if you mention that you need to use it.
We rented beach chairs and an umbrella two of the days were were there and paid in cash. We requested a receipt and the girl looked annoyed when asked for it, but we are thankful we insisted!
We checked out at about 4 or 5 pm the day before our departure because one of us was feeling sick. They charged us for only two of the nights of our stay and also charged us for the beach chair and umbrella rental. When we went back to point out that the third night had not been charged and that the other stuff had been paid in cash they were in the process of sending us an e-mail saying that they had forgotten to charge us for the third night. After about twenty minutes of trying to straighten out the situation and get the bill correct they had managed to run nearly $1500 in charges on my credit card when the bill should have been approximately $575.00. The charges are still sitting there as pending transactions and I am hoping that I will not actually have to go through the process of disputing charges. The only high point in all of this was that the manager did eventally give a corrected bill done in her handwriting with her signature. I wouldn't stay again if it were free. This headache wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank tlmerrie

Reviewed June 7, 2011

The location was perfect, but the hotel was dated, which we really kind of expected, but not so much. The rooms really need to be modernized. Everything looked clean, but it didn't feel clean, which reduced our comfort level. We stayed in an oceanfront room (1 of 6) and it was wonderful to sit on the balcony so close to the ocean, however, there was a tour there at the same time and they were pretty noisy. They allow smoking on the balconies and in the outside hallways, so there is a pervading smell of cigarettes which I tolerated, but the cigar on the balcony next door to us finally had me throwing in the towel and going inside long before I wanted to. We paid a premium price for a room we didn't enjoy as much as we should have. Next time we'll do VBRO and stay in an oceanfront home or condo. Also, they say they have free wifi, but I was unable to access the internet the entire time we were there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank movinon777
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We had a lovely weekend here. We reserved one of the ocean view rooms, and it was what we expected. All of the staff members that we interacted with were friendly and helpful.

The parking was a little tight the first night, but the hotel was completely full! We liked having the option to rent chairs & umbrellas and bikes from the hotel.

I can't comment about the breakfast because we ate at The Breakfast Club both mornings, but the coffee was good.

We would stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank MSUandUGAfan
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel over a month ago and thought everything was ok. Long story short, the hotel tried to correct their mistake with our checking account after a MONTH. The manager said she was too busy to leave me a phone message, but she wasn't too busy to take more money from me. When I called, she was VERY rude and not even apologetic. I am beyond disgusted with how I was treated. BEWARE!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rockstarswife89
desotoamy, Manager at Desoto Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

I feel compelled to set this review and reviewer straight. This guest did stay with us on March 30th and tried to use a Bed and Breakfast gift card that she had purchased at Costco. It CLEARLY stated on the giftcard that the guest had to make her reservation online to use this giftcard. The guest did not follow the instructions that were on the card and tried to use it to check in. When I tried to redeem this gift certificate, I was told by BandB.com that we could not be reimbursed for this gift card.

This guest is correct, in that we did go back on her Visa card to retrieve the rest of our money that was owed us. I mailed the guest her gift card back with a letter stating that we were sorry for the mistake that was made. I also tried to call her the day I charged the balance due, but she did not answer. I NEVER told this guest that I was too busy to leave her a message. I merely wanted to speak to her directly to explain the problem. I would not tell a guest that I was too busy for them. When this guest called me, she was VERY RUDE and did not want to hear any explination or reasoning behind my call to her, she didn't want to know what steps I had taken or why, and she did not listen to anything I had to say.

We pride ourselves in our Customer Service, from our Front Desk to our Management. We do everything we can to make sure that our guests are happy and satisfied. Again, I do apologize to this guest if she thought she was being treated rudely, but that was not my intention, nor the way I do business.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed at the Desoto for 3 days of our spring break. The weather started getting tumultuous on the third day. All of the power went out on the last night of our stay. We decided to leave early in fear that the weather would worsen. We packed in complete darkness. My daughter had placed her cabbage patch doll in the safety box earlier in the day and we couldn't retrieve it at our departure. We left a note explaining this. 3 days after our return home, my 3 year old received a package in the mail. The staff at the Desoto not only sent her cabbage patch doll; they also had found a jacket I had left.
We are so impressed with the Desoto staff. We will definitely stay here whenever we visit the Desoto.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Cygiant
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed in the Hernando Suite over Spring Break with extended family. The rooms were very tasteful and clean. The pool is small, but nice. The beach access is wonderful. Breakfast is relatively small, but it is adequate. Since our suite had a kitchen (everything but stove and oven), we were able to make our own breakfast in the room with the electric griddle we packed. The only glitch was there were no full-size towels the first night. Apparently there was a laundry service error; however, the issue should have been approached up front and the towels should have been delivered sooner the next day.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I'll be honest: this is a review of their customer service from a distance. You see, my wife and I were looking to get away before our second child arrived and were excited to hear about Tybee Island. I searched the bed and breakfasts as well as the hotels and decided to go with the Desoto. On Sunday night, I tried to book a room online only to find that their server was down and I could not complete the process. No big deal. I tried again. Didn't work.
It was late and I decided that I would call the next day and book the room. I got the first opportunity while at work around 10am and proceeded to make my reservation online. Uh oh! The rate went up by twenty dollars. Again no big deal. However I was willing to ask them if they would honor the rate that the room would have cost the previous day, so I called. I spoke with a lady (didn't get her name, but morning shift at the front desk) and asked if this would be a possibility. She said that the computer could not honor that rate and it had already switched over. Well, I am no world traveler, but I am well aware that hotel rates are not written in stone. After telling her the story, she was pretty rude and I asked to speak to a manager. She took my name and number.
The manager never called. Undetered (and still willing to book at the Desoto) I called later and found a pleasant lady named Lisa on the other end. I told her the story, she got my name and number and said that she was going to call her manager. So I waited...and waited. No call.
The next day my wife called and asked for the manager (for I was sure that I was a nuisance to them by now). She was told that the manager was not available and so she asked for a voice mail for the manager. She was connected and left a message detailing our story, asking if she would honor the rate. It has been three days now and we have yet to hear anything from them. We have booked elsewhere because we did not want to give them our money after such a poor performance and lack of consideration on their part. I am sure the hotel is great (ammenity-wise), but I deal with enough rude and inconsiderate people everyday. I am not about to go on vacation and be surrounded by them at the hotel.
So long Desoto, you will never get a dime from me. Poor customer service just does not cut it these days and in this economy. There are too many other options!

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Travelin4FunintheSun
desotoamy, Manager at Desoto Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

As Manager of the DeSoto Beach Hotel, I would like to first apologize to this gentleman. I failed to follow through and make sure that my front desk made his reservation.

When the gentleman tried to make his reservation, the server may, very well, have been down. We have just installed a new reservation system that includes the opportunity to make reservations online. This was a new system and we were still in the process of working out the "bugs" to make booking with us more convenient. We have since corrected problems that were first detected, and the online booking system is working very well for both us as a hotel and our guests.

We did raise our rates $20.00 one evening and this happened to be the time that the gentleman was trying to book. I did not receive any voice message from this gentleman, but I did get a hand-written note from Lisa, my evening front desk person. The next day, I did ask a specific employee to call this gentleman back and tell him we would absolutely honor the first rate he saw. This is where I, as the manager, let the ball fall. I did not follow up to make sure that this gentleman had been given the appropriate response.

If you read our reviews, almost all speak of our great customer service! We pride ourselves in doing everything we can to make your stay the best it can be on Tybee Island. We strive to promote exceptional service both in person and on the phone and am sorry that this gentleman was disappointed with us. I take responsibility for my desk not contacting them as I had requested my clerk to do to explain that we would honor his request.

Amy Lynch

#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
DeSoto Beach Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!