“Highlight of Beach Trip”

Tybee Beach Ecology Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Tybee Beach Ecology Trips, conducted on Tybee Island, Georgia, by marine biologist Dr. Joe Richardson, are fun and educational experiences for all ages. Typical two-hour beach trips include: high and low tide beachcombing, exploring tide pools and sandy intertidal habitats, pulling a 50 foot beach net, and learning information about the animals you find. Trips are scheduled for families and small groups, scout groups, schools, adult tours, and other groups. Much more than just a beach trip!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This tour is really incredible. My family (husband, 10yr boy, 12yr boy) had a great experience. We met Joe in the north beach parking lot and he took us down to the beach. We first dug for creatures, used a small net near the rocks, and then used a huge net for the ocean. He provides all the tools you need. He kept a small touch tank for us to keep our creatures in so we could view what everyone found. He was informative and very personable. We learned so much from him and would recommend this tour to everyone of all ages! You will be amazed at what you will find at the beach!

All reviews
"cool creatures"
in 2 reviews
"shrimp"
in 7 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
"low tide"
in 7 reviews
"great afternoon"
"year olds"
in 2 reviews
"girl scout troop"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our group of four adults (ages 50's and 20's) thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Joe's ecology trip on Tybee beach! We learned how to find interesting critters on the beach in low tide - mussels, snails, crabs, etc. And our group found many different kinds of animals that we all brought together so everyone could see them. Dr. Joe is extremely knowledgeable and very easy going - great to listen to. I found I was torn between digging for critters and wanting to stand by the group "tub" where we all deposited our finds so Joe could talk about them. This tour was very much worth the modest cost of $75 for our whole family.

All ages will enjoy this adventure. I'd recommend paying for 3 hours of parking so you don't feel rushed to head back to your car. Our group spent at least 2.5 hours on the beach, and we could have stayed even longer.

Put this as your number one thing to do while visiting Tybee Island!

1  Thank NotEnoughMaps
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Absolutely loved this! Dr. Joe was a fantastic guide, very knowledgeable, my kids loved it and asked to go back this year too. Time well spent.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was able to reserve our time easily via email before we went on vacation. Dr. Joe sent great details in his emails along with person phone number. We were able to change to a later time on the day of exertion due to a delay on our end. Our tour was amazing. Our daughters, age 9 and 12 loved it, as well as my husband and I. It was interactive and informative. Even a local fisherman would call us over to see his catches, which included two sting rays and a baby black fin shark. Truly, a wonderful memory that will last forever!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Myself and my two children (ages 7 and 9) went on the Beach Ecology Trip with Dr. Joe and I cannot say enough how much fun we had! Dr. Joe told us what to look for and the kids took off on the adventure! We explored the beach and tidal pools and found many amazing sea creatures and other interesting items. Any time we found something we had no idea what it was, we had Dr. Joe look at it and he was able to tell us all about it. Dr. Joe was great with both the kids and the adults and had just as much fun as we did! This is the best activity we have ever done while at the beach! Now we know what to look for when we are on the beach and how to find things that otherwise we would not have known. I would highly recommend this tour and we will definitely do it again!