“It isn't luxurious”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
North Georgia
“It isn't luxurious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Located in the barely tasteful and still delightfully tacky party of Tybee Island and just a block from Tybee Pier the Sea and Breeze is the kind of throw-back hotel I love. It has obviously been rescued from the generic chain hotels. Our room had a stone tile floor, sea-foam green walls, exposed wooden beams - very charming and inviting.

I didn't experience any of the filth as mentioned. No, it won't pass white glove treatment, but I didn't have black feet from walking on the floors. The paint in the pool didn't peel off on me. The water in the pool was indeed cold, but it is still spring time.

There were some issues that I think need to be addressed as the hotel continues its transformation (and to be sure, the transformation is still going on). The bed linens weren't very comfortable. In fact, they were a little scratchy. The hotel is showing its age around the edges, so don't expect it to be luxurious. As others mentioned, there were burnt out light bulbs in the ceiling, and the bedside lamp didn't work. Even though our room had just been cleaned when we arrived, there was no toilet paper (but a walk to the housekeeper's cart fixed that - and the head housekeeper immediately began admonishing the young lady who should have done a better job).

Not having a coffee maker in the room wasn't a major problem - there is coffee in the lobby - but it would be nice to have it in the room.

The worst part for us was the noise. Our room was located almost directly on Tybrisa Street - the home of a few bars and restaurants, not to mention the easy access to the beach and pier. The street noise was very noticeable - even until late at night. That is not the fault of the hotel, but you should be aware of it before you book your room. Unfortunately the noise will only get worse. It seems the hotel will be the home of a frozen drinks bar, which means more noise and more drunken behavior. If you pick this hotel, ask for a room on the top floor away from Tybrisa and you should be better off, or be young, carefree, and a fan of local bars.

Parking spaces are indeed very confining, so once you get parked, try not to leave! You can walk to some of the better food and drink choices on Tybee with no problem (the Breakfast Club and Sting Rays are just a block away!), rent a bike at the nearby rental, or catch the Crab Cab to the other end of the island.

The big question is, "Will you go back," and I can safely answer that I would indeed stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Tybrisa Street!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ed_selby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I spent almost a week at the Tybee Sea and Breeze in their off season. The hotel staff was incredibly polite, accommodating and every one of them knew and remembered my name. Tybee Island is a small, beach town. There are no "Hilton" or "Marriott" quality hotels on Tybee Island. All the hotels on Tybee are what I would call a "Motel" (you basically walk up to your room from the outside) I have stayed in several of the motels around Tybee and this one by far was the most comfortable. All the rooms lead out to the pool deck, which can be noisy at times, but I also travel with earplugs and this totally eliminated any sound. Tybee Sea and Breeze is located in the middle block of Tybrisa Street, part of the main bar area in Tybee Island. It is very conveniently located to the beach and especially the Tybee Pier and Pavilion. But because it is also on Tybrisa, there are lots of folks out in those bars on weekend nights. I personally enjoyed sitting up on the 2nd floor balcony overlooking Tybrisa and watching what was going on the street below and found it a great source of entertainment!
If you are looking for a comfortable, easily accessible place to stay very close to the Pier, Tybee Sea and Breeze is your place. Caution, the parking is very tight. I have a cross-over SUV which I consider a mid size and I was hard pressed to get it into the parking garage on Saturday night, the night they sold out. I have a Tybee parking pass, so I simply parked overnight on Tybrisa Street and it was perfectly fine. If you are looking for posh, pampered attitude, Sea and Breeze AND Tybee Island AIN'T it. If you are looking for a nice, relaxing time on a quaint, happy little island, Tybee Sea and Breeze and their wonderful staff is right up your alley! I am especially excited to hopefully stay there again during their off season. That is when I enjoy the beach the most anyway!! Thank you Leonard and Staff!

Room Tip: I liked room 115... comfortable beds and hotel beds ALWAYS hurt my back... 115 didn't!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SmilingDolphin
alpharetta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was my first and last visit to Tybee Island. Thanks in great part to this motel, motor lodge, whatever it is supposed to be. When we wedged ourselves into what is supposed to be a parking lot we witnessed a housekeeper with her linen cart hit the bumper of a very nice truck, she scraped her cart down the side of this truck, on her way to some hole in the wall that could have been the laundry or the bowels of hell, who knows. On my way to the lobby? front desk? shelf in a room with a computer on it? I kept telling myself not to judge this book by its cover. I asked if there was some parking that I didn't see as I had blocked some other vehicles in. She told me to give her my keys and she would move my car if needed. Do I look that dumb to you lady???? Walking to my room, I again was trying hard not to judge the book by the cover. Sometimes people, you need to listen to the voices in your head. This was one of those times. I opened the door to the 10th level of hell here. 9 light bulbs in the room, 4 worked. Paint peeling off the walls. Bedspread and chairs so stained I wouldn't put my purse on them. The porthole in the door was covered by a brown grocery bag! No night latch. This is a room that horror movies are made of. When I turned back the bed to check for clean sheets and bed bugs I was greeted by a blood stain the size of a dinner plate, at the head of the bed!!!!!!!! It looked like a small animal had been killed there! I ran to the shelf with the computer on it and demanded my money back. The general manager went up to the room while they were processing my refund. His comment upon return was "The blood is dry". Oh, ok, that makes it all better, I'll go lay my head on it then if it's dry. Did I take a wrong turn to crazyville????? Needless to say I stayed long enough to participate in the event I came there for and I got back in my car and started to drive home in the middle of the night. Tybee Island is nothing more than a mini Panama City and is only for young kids starting a drinking problem. The construction in the hotel is not a much needed demolition, they are constructing a Margarita Bar! Exactly what this place needs, another bar. My friends, mistakenly decided to stay the night. The party at the pool was so loud they left in the middle of the night only to discover that someone threw up on their car. Nice. My only question is this...where is the hotel in the pictures on the website? Were these taken in 1950, when this motor lodge was built or did someone have to spend 10 days in photo shop??

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank holly w
DSiddel, General Manager at Sea & Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
I want to sincerely apologize to this guest. We had an unfortunate error by our HK department. I fully refunded this guest for the trouble. I fully understand that first impressions are lasting impressions, even though this guest chose not to stay with us, or allow me the opportunity to make a second impression, we did drop the ball here. The housekeeper that made this error no longer works here. I never made light of the blood being on the bed, and admitted to this guest that this was never acecpetable, and embarrising; and the part that I made light of this error by saying it was dry is completely false. We were the host hotel for Paint Tybee Pink, and this guest came here for this event. The person over the event tried to convince them to stay because they had 20 rooms at our property and everyone from the group was satisfied with property, and had no complaints about cleanliness. We even had many rooms from this event stay over more nights! However, this one incident is very unfortunate and I would like to apologize to this guest again.

We are also happy to have Wet Willies opening soon, and Tybee Island is a great little city!

Best Regards,

Leonard Massey, General Manager
Sea & Breeze Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Tybee Island hotels

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Construction: Upon arriving many areas are roped off for construction. We were not alerted this hotel would be ongoing loud construction throughout our stay. They were pounding, drilling, welding and these weren't only minor sounds.. It sounded like a jack hammer was running and they were hammering metal. Our room was at the back of the hotel and it was still extremely loud. I felt bad for those with small children staying in room’s right above the construction because we couldn't relax or nap during the day because of it.

Parking: Awful- Upon arriving, we were blasted with a sign at check in stating 1 vehicle only which did not appear any where in our confirmation. We had 2 mid-size SUVs of which neither fit well in the extremely tight spaces. Once we got our 1 in, we could barely open a door to get out. Then we didn't want to move because we either wouldn't find a spot to fit in again or would have to give keys to the desk to move our vehicle. The 2nd SUV we ended up paying $30 to park on the streets which was a joke to find another available spot without circling a few blocks first. We were happy we did have another vehicle off property because at least that one was easy to get in and out with, even if it was generally 3 blocks away. Additionally, I received 2 white door scrapes on my black SUV door from someone opening into it. This was my souvenir to remember this awful experience. This alone probably will cost the price of the hotel stay to get fixed.

Location: Great to walk to the beach or to a few restaurants. However, the bar with drunken customers shouting and screaming till 2:30am was not enjoyable. In addition, the puke with sunglasses next to the SUV on Sunday was quite disgusting roasting in 80 degrees weather.

Room location: All rooms are 2nd level or higher either above the parking or above supplies area. We stayed above the supply area next to the pool gate. We heard all sounds from the front door. Between the kids shouting at the pool, the gate slamming shut starting at 8am till 10 pm and vehicles below maneuvering in/out of spaces it simply was NOT a vacation!

Room Service/Supplies: Checked in Friday afternoon. Saturday late afternoon finally saw beds made and new towels tossed on the bed closest to the door. No additional supplies replenished, floors not cleaned. No ice bucket and no ice available in ice machine or lobby ice locker. 1 shampoo, 1 lotion, 1 bar of soap for shower and 1 for sink provided upon arrival and that’s all. No coffee maker, no iron/board, no hairdryer. Sunday no room service received, had to ask a cleaning person for more toilet paper so by 5:30 we packed our things and left.

Cleaning attendants: There were a few pleasant ones but a noticeable lack of consideration from others. Hovering/smoking at back rear staircase where customers walk is not acceptable and nor comfortable. A male cleaner blowing snot rocket off the 2nd floor walkway in plain view of the pool was also appalling. We also witnessed them leaving occupied room doors wide open numerous times while replenishing supplies making it easy for someone to enter the room while they were away did not make us feel comfortable leaving our room. In addition, the extensive length of time spent cleaning certain rooms viewable from the pool area made it seem suspicious when all we got was our beds made 1 day and a few clean towels.

Pool: The blue edge of the pool comes off and sticks to your swim suit or skin when sitting on the edge of the pool - beware it makes for an awful tan line. Also, numerous people using the pool did not stay there. Many were staying in the condos behind the hotel and were the loudest of anyone. There were about 10 lounge chairs around the pool and maybe 3 umbrellas which left most people no where to sit. The shower did not operate at the pool so everyone coming from the beach took their sand covered bodies directly into the pool. Even with the nice weather, it felt like the pool was just filled and was freezing cold. I lasted about 3 minutes which was just enough to cool down before I was shivering and needed to get out. Music was not prohibited therefore all rooms as well as pool guests were forced to listed to what one person thought everyone liked to hear. Not so bad except when you’re trying to sleep in the room directly behind the radio!

Island: The restaurants were nothing special. It may be a better location for those wanting to drink at the bars. The shops were nothing special either. They had the typical beach tourist trap items and imported overpriced items from china. Even the shops at the first area entering Tybee looked promising but lacked any real appeal. Any items of interest were seriously overpriced. Savannah is about 20 minute drive. However, unless you have an assigned parking spot somewhere - leaving and returning were more of a hassle.

Overall: In all of the hotels I've stayed in around the US, this experience makes the list in the bottom of 5. I went there with an open mind and minimal expectations but even those were a far fetch. At check out the attendant suggested following up with the booking site since I paid in full in advance to see about a refund. I did and they contacted the general manager who refused to credit the last day because he stated “it does not affect their guests in the hotel.” So many negatives affected our stay; it simply wasn’t worth the aggravation. The least they could have done was credit one night but lasting impressions are not valued here but word of mouth in this economy is valuable to those saving up for one nice weekend away. So we are chalking it up to a lost weekend and won't be recommending anyone head there for a future vacation!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank BridgetWOrlando
DSiddel, General Manager at Sea & Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
I would first like to thank this guest for the review, because all reviews are greatly appreciated whether good or bad. However, there are many things in this review that are inaccurate. With the last statement you can cleary see the intensions of this guest, which should be taken into consideration. I personally checked this guest in and informed her about the things going on in our hotel. She was also very upset about only one parking space per room, which is cleary listed on our website for any and everyone to see, so the notion that we do not advertise this is inaccurate. This guest also was upset because Orbitz didn't list somethings, hoever, Orbtz.com directs you to our website where all hotel policies are listed. The message that the Housekeeping is suspicious (stealing) because they cleaned a room for an extending period is absolutely not true. We have not once, since I've been the GM of this property, had a guest state that anything has been taking from there room. This guest also never contacted me to tell me anything about their stay. My business cards, email address, and cell phone numbers are posted at the checkout desk for all. I would have loved the opportunity to resolve any issues they may have had. The refund request came from Orbitz for the guest leaving early. We are building a Wet Willies to open on our property within the next week, and there was drilling on Friday only until 7pm. No drilling Saturay. We also do not ever get complaints about the music at the pool being too loud for guests to sleep, and no music is directed into any guest rooms, which is another unfortunate inaccuracy. The string of bad reviews prior to this was all from a 2 week period when we were transitioning new staff members and services, and we apologize for the inconvience that we caused our guests. With that said, this review has inaccurracies and false charges that simply cannot be ignore. Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Leonard Massey, General Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

The room was nice enough for what we planned a weekend on the beach not in our room. This hotel is not a place to relax. Our room was right by the pool. So the noise started at about 9 am. We also got alot of outside noise from the street. This didnt matter to us because we did not spend much time in the room. The staff was really nice and friendly. Right in the middle of all restaurants, bars and shopping.

• Stayed May 2011
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

If I had to rate the room itself I'd give it a 3 or 4 -it was clean, fresh towels, comfortable beds. However, EVERYTHING else was totally lacking. To start, there were young adults everywhere. There was noise each night of my visit, with the last night ending with a fight between some kids right outside my door. On top of that, they were doing some renovations and ended up shutting off the closest parking spaces and stair access to my room. The parking was horrible as the construction crew blocked the only entrance/exit with their vehicles. This was my first time staying here and my last.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank AtlantaKayeCee
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I am a vacation club member, and chose this place because of it
s location. I'm so glad I did!

It's "kitchy" - not the usual condo...the word is a stretch because the hotel room added a kitchenette which made it a condo. There are 6 units in the hotel owned by my club.

Leonard and his staff could not have been more helpful or pleasant/friendly in their dealings with me - I had a million questions but I usually do!

The room overlooked the pool, had a decent bed and flat screen TV with DVD player. It was only noisy when the neighbors "reveled" a little too much. It really wasn't horrible - we were staying the week after most college Spring Breaks. (GA schools, anyway).

The best part was the people/ocean watching I could do from my "perch" on the deck above the street! It was WONDERFUL!!!!!

Tybee Island itself is very laid-back and beautiful. SUCH friendly people!

I could seriously move there....apparently a lot of Ohioans do just that!

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room near the elevator! 209 was in a perfect location!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Sea & Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!