17th Street Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Sky Suites(Tybee Island)
$60
Sea & Breeze Hotel(Tybee Island)
$101
  • Pool
Hotel Tybee(Tybee Island)(Great Value!)
$143
Dunes Inn & Suites(Tybee Island)
$101
Admiral's Inn(Tybee Island)
$120
$111
Desoto Beach Hotel(Tybee Island)(Great Value!)
$232
$123
Agoda.com
Sandcastle Inn(Tybee Island)
$157
$153
Travelocity
Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines(Hilton Head)(Great Value!)
$354
Royal Palm Motel(Tybee Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
Marriott's Heritage Club(Hilton Head)
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2010

This was for a Valentine's Day weekend getaway. As stated in other reviews, there was no staff on site. We called and got the combination to the lockbox and retrieved our key and let ourselves in. The room was very beachy and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The back porch was very neat with the fans and tables and we plan to go back during a warmer time of the year and be able to enjoy it. My husband and I are newlyweds so we enjoyed the privacy and non invasive atmosphere. Walking distance to the beach and some great places to eat. All in all, a nice stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dixyprinxs
Reviewed September 29, 2009

First off let me say, this is not a B&B, so if that's what you are looking for, keep on looking. The experience was more like renting a condo. The keys were waiting for us in a lock box when we arrived and we left them there when we left. We were fine with this arrangement. We were in room #1 which is located on the front lower level of the house. It was very clean and nicely decorated. It has a full kitchen, which was good for quick meals. The bathroom is small, and has a shower only, which my 5 year old wasn't happy about. They have a neat patio area in the back where you can grill. We had no trouble parking, but could see where it could be a problem during busier times. The beach is an easy walk away. Several restaurants are within walking distance, as well as little beach shops. This was a really good value compared to hotels on the island. We had a wonderful time and will be returning!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Tennesseesweetheart
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Let me start off by saying that this inn has the potential to be great. We just had some mishaps with the service or lack thereof. When we arrived we had to call the inn keeper to get the code for the lockbox for the key to our room. After waiting outside for a while we decided to call the other number listed which was the inn keeper’s personal number. Our response was that we had called the inn keepers number and that we should call back on the office phone. Ok…no sorry no one answered or welcome to Tybee Island. We called back on the office number and the inn keeper answered and gave us the code to the lock box. We parked the car down the street and unpacked. After coming back from dinner we noticed that our room was rather warm and figured out that the air conditioner had gone out. After a very hot night we called the inn keeper first thing in the morning. Again no “I’m sorry for the inconvenience or can I move you to another room” We were met with “Well it was working last night” The inn keeper sent the maid to check on the air conditioner (I guess just to make sure we were not making it up) Then a maintenance guy was called to fix the unit. After returning to the room later in the day and finding that it still had not been fixed we called again and were told that our room was not the only one without air-conditioning. So.. we guessed it really wasn’t our fault after all. We left again and looked for any place that could offer some air conditioning while we waited for ours to be fixed. Finally late in the day we returned to find the repairman finishing up on our unit and our room finally cooling off. I know that the air conditioner was out of the control of the inn keeper. Our problem was the attitude that we met when we reported it and the fact that a “I’m sorry” was never uttered. The inn is in a great location and is very close to a very crowded beach. We have marked Tybee Island off of our future vacation list.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trsander
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I am being polite when I say, be prepared for a "non-traditional" inn experience. You are completely on your own. There is no on-site presence of any employee - no housekeeper, no manager, NO ONE . There is no office. There is no check-in, no check-out, no one to help you with your luggage. Your room key is in a lock box. Oh yah, and THERE IS NOWHERE FOR YOU TO PARK YOUR CAR.

I had read that the inn did not have "designated parking." Having never been to Tybee Island I had no idea that this meant that there was literally, NO parking ANYWHERE. This was not 4th of July or even high season, mind you. This was just a random day in April, after Spring Break, not even anywhere near busy times.

With your room you get a "parking pass" that allows to park (this is the quote:) "anywhere on 17th Street." That to me sounded like it would not be a problem. However, let me paint the picture here: there are 8 rooms at the inn. There are 6 legal parking spaces on 17th Street, and when I was there, approximately 10,000 beachgoers vying for those same 6 spaces, as there was no available parking anywhere on the entire island. After being told by a passer-by that there was nowhere to even unload my car (due to the "Nazi" parking police that will tow your car in the blink of an eye if illegally parked - and yes, they were doing just that down the street), I had to hurriedly unpack my car while stopped in the middle of the road, and had to leave all my belongings on the sidewalk in front of the inn totally open for anyone to steal (my room was in the back of the inn, up some stairs and down a hallway - too far to risk leaving the car unattended to make 3 trips with all my stuff AND a toddler) Remember - there is no office, and no one there to help. Then, after driving around all over the island for about 45 minutes, I found a parking place about a mile (20-minute fast walk) away. That was fun - walking a mile carrying a 40-pound "over it" toddler. Amazingly when I got back my belongings had not been stolen the hour that they had been sitting on the sidewalk.

So, 2.5 hours after I arrived on the actual island (1.5 hours in traffic, 40 minutes to find a parking space, and 20 to walk back to the inn) I finally did get to my room, tired, hot and angry. I was decently satisfied with the digs. The rooms are nice enough I guess. Nothing fancy but sufficient. An itty kitchenette, with a full sized fridge. But you have to walk through the kitchenette to get to the bathroom which is weird. If you were very overweight, you would have not been able to get to the toilet in my room between the counter and shower, but it was fine for me and my 2 year old. It would be suitable for a couple, and you could even cook simple meals there if you wanted.

The location is 1/2 block from the beach. The physical beach itself is nice enough, but the crowd was not. Loud, drunk college students with boom boxes blaring horrible music, trashy families wearing far too little than is socially acceptable, and zillions of people everywhere. Just finding a spot to put our stuff was a challenge - it was very, very crowded. Once I did find a spot, I was not comfortable going for walk and leaving our belongings as the people around me just did not make me feel safe, and I am not a generally paranoid person like that. This was NOT the family-oriented beach environment I had hoped for.

As mentioned by other reviewers, there are "shops" and "restaurants" within walking distance. "Shops" are ugly T-Shirt stores, one after another, selling the same hideous touristy items and overpriced sunscreen. "Restaurants" are dirty sports bars with Bud Light and PBR on tap, also one after another. Arby's is down the street. A really bad coffee shop is around the corner. There is an apparently very nice restaurant up 17th street, but I did not go there.

Personally, I would never return to Tybee Island. It was a dump. Aside from the inn, I found the island to be on par with Daytona Beach - over-crowded, one huge traffic jam, trashy, loud, lined with eye-sore t-shirt shops, and filled with drunk college kids and filthy bars. However, if I were to return, I would not elect to stay anywhere unless it had DESIGNATED parking for each and every guest. Good luck with that.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank ashevillewahoo
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We loved the 17th Street Inn. It is very close to to the beach, and the room was clean and cozy. The back porch is especially nice, with tables, chairs, fans, and a swing - the perfect place to relax in the evening.
I'm not really sure what happened to the management, one lady came out and handed us a parking pass and told us our key was under the planter, and we didn't see or hear anything from then the rest of the trip. By the way, if you're in room 8, be careful which planter you look under for your key, because there is more than one- we got a bit confused!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple