“If you are looking for a B&B, don't stay here!”
Review of 17th Street Inn

17th Street Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Tybee Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2007

My mother and I rented a room at 17th St. Inn (herein "Inn") with the expectation of staying in a Bed & Breakfast. I have stayed in B&Bs across the country and have wonderful memories of all of my vacations. This was NOT a B&B. We drove for several hours from Tennessee and arrived at 5:30 (within the 3-6 pm check-in window). There was no one at the Inn. Our key was taped to the door of the office with a note that we were in room 8. After rounding the building several times in search of "Room 8", I ventured up a narrow staircase to an unmarked door. In it and down a short hallway was our room.

There was only street parking and it was all metered. Not to worry! There was a parking pass taped to a piece of wood for us to display in the window of our car. Unfortunately, it expired in July of 2006. When I called the owner of the Inn because I was concerned about getting a parking citation, I was told to just use the expired pass anyway and if I received a ticket she would pay it. What?! I'm supposed to trust someone that I've never met to pay a ticket on MY car?

Shortly after my first conversation with the owner (who never told me her name) I had to make a second. We had accidentally locked our key in the room when we went to the car to get our luggage. She seemed extremely annoyed and several times stated that the door didn't just lock by itself. After several long periods of silence, she agreed to send somene to unlock our door. All of this was still before the 6 pm deadline for checking in.

Upon returning from dinner, we found there were no lights anywhere in the back of the Inn. We climbed the staircase in complete darkness and struggled to get the keys into both doors leading to our room. Fortunately, the housekeeper was able to remedy the light situation for us the next day.

Breakfast was motel-quality: old croissants, old fruit, boxes of Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, and such. I expected much more from an establishment that adverstises itself as a B&B. We ended up skipping breakfast after the first morning.

The Inn is near the beach and the few restaurants on the island, so that was nice. The room was tolerable, though we could hear anything anyone said outside at night. We never saw the innkeeper. The housekeeper, the only member of the staff we had any contact with, was very pleasant. After our first evening on Tybee Island, we spent the remainder of our days in Savannah. I originally thought this place was a great deal for the price, but I was SO wrong. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank utklaw
There are newer reviews for 17th Street Inn

Reviewed December 8, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the 17th Street Inn during July4th weekend. We had several concerns.

Upon arrival, we were found out the property had no parking. We were given parking passes to park on the street. With it being 4th of July weekend, Parking on the street was almost impossible. When we were able to secure a spot, we were afraid to move our car. So we had to walk everywhere we went. I have never lodged somewhere that did not incude parking.

Our main worry surfaced as we learned that is was possible to lock some one in a room, with no way for the person in the room to get out. I found that out the hard way. One morning, I decided to walk on the beach very early. My wife was still asleep. On my way out, I made sure the door to our room was locked. When I got back from my walk, my wife showed me there was no way to unlock the lock the door lock from the inside of the room. I asked her if she called management. She said, "With what?" Yep, there was not a phone in the room. Thank God, we had cell phones. But not everyone has a cell phone.

The manager, Margaret, refunded us half our money back and we left and spent the 4th of July at Hilton Head, SC.

It is now, December 2006, It is my hope that Margaret has replaced the locks with locks that can be unlocked from the inside. I hope she has added phone service to each rooms.
It is a matter of saftey.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank Collectorguy
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Wow - what MISERABLE experience! My wife and I stayed at the 17th Street Inn two years ago and had an absolutely wonderful time. Our FORMER sentiments seem to echo what the majority of these older postings state. However, the drastic change between now and then is something that anyone thinking about staying here should know about before they book reservations that cannot be undone.

After driving in late in the afternoon from Atlanta, my wife and I quickly checked in and went to our rooms to make a dinner reservation. The room was nice, but definitely warm. I switched on the air conditioner and headed out to dinner. Upon our return, the room was warmer than before. The air conditioner was broken and there was no one to be found that could remedy the situation. Since it was late at night and not wanting to be one of those people that complained, we decided to most of it until the next day.

Early the next morning, I notified Margaret, the inn keeper that the air conditioner was not working and that it was impossibly hot in the room. No apologies from her at all - just a simple, we'll move you to another room. She seemed less than concerned about us and stating that she would not have a problem renting the room. When I stated that I did not believe that other people would enjoy renting a room for that much money, only to have the air conditioner not working in 90 degree heat, she laughed.

Room two was furnished with a window unit that is definitely on its last legs - incredibly noisy and does not work any better than a ceiling fan. After suffering through another miserably HOT night, we checked out - but not before mentioning to Margaret how much we were disappointed in our stay. The same flippant attitude was given to us again.

Bottom line - for the cost for the room ($179 plus taxes per night ), we expected a room that was air conditioned, overall nicer amenities - ancient oven with outdated cooking utensils, shoddy glassware that looked worse than what you would expect at Goodwill, a decent breakfast - not cold bagels, pre-packaged fruit or whatever else was on sale at the gas station earlier that morning, actual wine glasses, etc.. - and most of all, an accomodating hostess that appreciated your decision to spend time there.

My wife and I travel a fair amount and leverage this site for the majority of our housing decisions. I often times wonder about the personalities of the people that have negative comments on this site. If we had not had such a negative experience, I would not have bothered to write this review. The poor, all too common, "not my responsibility" attitude of the inn keeper compounded my resolve to at least help other people avoid spending their money on such a poor choice.

Stayed: June 2005
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded January 16, 2006

Some of the infomation was not correct, in the letter about Horrible management change. Caitlin was the Innkeeper from May 22,2005 until the middle of August 2005.

Sometimes Air Conditioners have problems and mistakes are made, even with the best of intentions.I understand the A.C. repair man was called right away. The owner also refunded the money in full.

The Inn is now back under the same management the guest enjoyed two years ago, as the letter stated.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience, the guest had. We strive to make all of our guests comfortable and happy.

Reviewed August 22, 2004

Cute, clean rooms. Great deck area. The breakfast was only continental, but it was great to eat outside on the beautiful deck. Very close to the beach. Tybee Island beaches are ok, not as nice as NC and SC beaches.

Forsyth, GA
Reviewed August 22, 2004

Loved every minute! Clean, neat, so close to the beach. Personable staff accomodated our every wish and fixed a pretty great breakfast too! Made a quick weekend get-away simple and safe for an over-worked Mom. This is a safe bet!!!!!!!!

Petersburg, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2004

Our family stayed at the 17th Street Inn Condo. for three nights the first week of August. The condo was nice, however, there was construction on a new condo next door. We were awoken to pounding and drilling at 6:45a.m. on one morning. Another morning we were awoken at 2:00a.m. to drag racing on the street in front of the condo.

We enjoyed the Hilton Head beaches more than the Tybee beach. Our family will NOT be returning to Tybee Island.

• Stayed: August 2004
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 20, 2003

The manager could not have been nicer. The decor is quaint. The place is CLEAN. We loved the Deck to just sit around and having breakfast on the Deck was nice to. We will be back.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member