“Interesting bit of history”

Fort Pulaski National Monument
Book In Advance
More Info
$205.00*
and up
Fort Pulaski and Downtown Savannah Helicopter Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This fort, built in 1829, offers historical tours.
Chicago
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Interesting bit of history”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The best part of our visit to the Fort was the musket demonstration performed by one of the Park Rangers. She was extremely knowledgeable and filled us in on the daily life of a soldier at the fort. She then fired her musket for us! Would recommend watching the 18 minute video in the visitor center as well.

1 Thank RobynMM

• Polish first
Montverde, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Historic Site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was a very nice historical site. My kids and I loved it. To see the actual damage made to the walls during the war and to be able to walk on the walls was very nice. And they allow pets to come in. The fee was $5 per person.

Colorado
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Any student of history, especially American History, will love this site. There is a lot of history preserved here. For one thing, it took 18 years to build this fort using some slave labor, and "state-of-the-art" techniques of the time. They thought it was perfect. They thought it was invincible. Yet, it succumbed to invaders in about 40 minutes. Why? Because it was a masonry fort built to withstand smooth bore cannon, and round cannon balls. When faced with rifled cannon and pointed projectiles, it could not stand up. Suddenly, it was obsolete.
I love the tour of the grounds, the explanations by the tour guides, and I especially liked the demonstration of the Civil War musket by a reenactor. Most of what is taught here I already knew, but I like the way they let me "touch" and "see" things. It is a wonder to walk along the top of the fort's wall, to hold hard tack, and to see the clothing they wore back then.
I also loved walking the very grounds where history walked before me. I do, however, still have one question. One of the pictures they hand around is of soldiers playing baseball - one of the first photographs of anyone playing baseball in America. However, upon closer examination, I notice that the placement of soldiers makes the parade grounds appear much larger than they really are. Now, I know that people of the time were much smaller, but, for all those people to fit in those parade grounds doing all of the things they were doing, they would all have had to be first graders. If you go, take a close look at that picture, and wonder to yourself if someone didn't create that picture as "propaganda," either for then or now. It doesn't really fit otherwise.

1 Thank ovolacto
Fort Stewart, Georgia, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very Historical & Great Information”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited awhile back, in June 2011 with my husband's grandpa. He came to visit us and he's a huge history buff. We ventured out to the Fort and we were very pleased with our experience. Our tour guide was very informative. We loved the rifle shooting show and our tour guide was very nice enough to take pics for us at the top of the Fort for a keepsake photo. We plan to return with other family members and possibly do a picnic on the many walking trails around the Fort. Great, low costing and historical experience for the whole family.

Nashville, TN
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great bit of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

If you enjoy history, stop and see For Pulaski- it is open till about 5pm. There is an entrance fee but we didn't have to pay it when we arrived (about 3pm)- perhaps they waived the fee because it was so late? Regardless, on your way to or from Tybee Island, it's a quick and easy stop.