“First Time at Dunes”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Fort Bragg NC
“First Time at Dunes”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My daughter and I traveled 6 hrs to Tybee Island to meet my sister and surprise my mother for Mother's Day. Check in was friendly and our room had been upgraded to a kitchenette. Everything was clean, we had tile in our room instead of carpet which makes sense. Beach sand can ruin carpet. Like in every hotel I've ever stayed I kept my belongings under lock and key. The cleaning staff made sure our room was cleaned and trash taken out. For the price I thought we got a good deal. The beach was right across the street (two short blocks); local restaurants, shops, and convenience stores were within walking distance. Walmart, Target, McDonald's, and Applebees were within a 30 minute drive. Overall we enjoyed our stay at Dunes Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank GAPeachinNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Murphy
Reviewed April 27, 2010

My spouse and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 10 years and are always treated as if we are family. Benita and her staff go above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay enjoyable. We return here on a regular basis because everyone employed at The Dunes give us the best service you will find on the island

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jhorton62
Atlanta
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Since my last stay 2 tears ago, this inn has been repainted and the lobby is much improved. More space for the continental breakfast, and tables, too. Just wish that the owner could figure out most folks like REAL orange juice--- not the cheap, sugary "drink" that they try and substitute!

The room was very nice and had a pleasant balcony overlooking the clean pool. The staff was nice, except for an employee that kept interrupting my check in with the front desk clerk-- oblivious to the fact that a customer might be more important than whatever her chores were.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rjacka3
Longs, SC
Reviewed February 23, 2010

We had been staying at The Dunes for about 8 years every Thanksgiving. The last time I was informed upon checking out and asking for my AAA discount (where they've always had the AAA logo sign hanging off their marquee and had always honored AAA) that they do not honor AAA and their rates were already low enough. Very disappointed and won't be staying with them again. I did contact AAA and they said they would take care of it. We'll miss The Dunes; loved the location and the cleanliness. But to not honor AAA was over the top. They should just raise their rates and then honor AAA.

A disappointed Dunes Motel former client.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JULSAM

Travelers are raving about these Tybee Island hotels

Hendersonville NC
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We decided to come to Tybee Island at the last minute. I called down and Dianne Cobb was the most helpful receptionist that I have ever encountered. She was so helpful. When we arrived the other Dianne took really good care of us. Our room was spacious and clean. We were very close to everything so we didn't have to drive anywhere. This hotel is more like a family then a business. It will be the only place I stay each year that I come back. Thanks guys!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trouble2920023
Conyers, GA
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My hubby and I had never been to Tybee before, so we were pleasantly surprised. The Dunes is a good place to stay. The room was clean, and contrary to other reviews I've read, the beds did have fitted sheets and mattress covers, and the sheets stayed on just fine. The rooms have balconies that overlook the pool and we were on the bottom floor and enjoyed going right out the door and sitting by the pool in the evenings. It was very quiet and peaceful. I didn't take anything with me that I was afraid would get stolen - like my laptop, but internet service was offered when we checked in. The front desk people were helpful when I asked for extra wash cloths and hand towels or had a question (especially the women). The only thing I noticed that wasn't so pleasing was the tub was slow to drain after showering, and when the room was cleaned after the first night, no extra roll of toilet paper was left, and fewer wash cloths and no floor mat. Since the second night cost more because it was Friday, I thought we should have at least gotten as much as we had the first night. Bring your own coffee because the kitchen room we had contained a coffee pot and filters, but no coffee samples. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, fruity-flavoured juice, milk, danishes, donuts and 3 types of cereal.
What we really loved was the location!! Sting Ray, a great place for seafood, is only a few steps away, and you can dine inside or outside or on the covered porch. Live jazzy music on Friday evening, but you couldn't hear it from the hotel. The beach and pier are a short walk away, as well as shops. We had a great time and we will be back. We fell in love with Tybee Island, and The Dunes hotel was just fine. You have to visit the Lighthouse and Museum, too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dham
Avon, Indiana
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Watch your belongings. My $149 bathing suit with matching shorts and top were stolen. Front desk said by phone, "I bet it was the mother and daughter we hired". They were not with us long and lived at the local campground. Owner has yet to compensate us for this loss. Continental breakfast was a farce!!! One lady at the desk, lovely redhead did her best to help us. Owner was non-cooperative. We would sleep on the beach than stay there again. The pool was not open.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
#11 of 28 in Hilton Head
Hotel Tybee
Hotel Tybee
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Dunes Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!