“Nasty!!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Georgia
“Nasty!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

My children and I have stayed at Dunes Inn on several occassions and each stay always makes us wonder why we ever come back. I guess after reading other reviews on other hotels/motels on the island, it could possibly be the cleaniest one there but thats still not saying much. On one particular visit our a/c had to be replaced, and that took all day. So we were in a smoldering hot room with nothing to do but wait on the repairman to finish replacing the a/c. That's just one of the many problems we encountered while on Tybee Island. I don't think its so much problems with Dunes that made us vacation elsewhere. Its the whole Island in itself. There is absolutely nothing to do there. If you're not an alcoholic then you're out of luck. Nothing for kids to do period. If you've shopped in one shop, you're been to all of 'em. They all have the same exact thing! The food selections is not even worth mentioning. The so called infamous "Breakfast Club" is awful!! I don't know why anyone would say the food there is good cause its not. I now take my children to Myrtle Beach. The rates are great. The entertainment is awesome ...never a dull moment. Its amazing the difference in service, cleanliness, and overall good time that can be had with just 30 more minutes of driving. So long Tybee Island, I'll never be back!!!!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MBfan2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

If you go during the week it is downright cheap! Ask for Dianne at the desk. She was SO nice and helpful.

The rooms are fine. Recently renovated and clean. Bathroom was nice. Our room was on the 2nd floor and the balcony over looked the pool. My two young boys were able to swim in the pool while I sat on the balcony and read my book. They also enjoyed the breakfast because there were donuts!

A very short walk to the beach and all shops and restaurants. The only complaint I have is about the beds. They were not comfortable. There was just a sheet and the comforter on top. I do not like to sleep with the comforter on the bed b/c I don't think it gets washed!! So I really think there should be a blanket of some sort on top of the sheet. Also, the flat sheet that is used as the bottom sheet does not stay tucked in - so by the time you wake up in the morning you are sleeping on the mattress. Yuck!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
lvthesea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

The Dunes isn't anything special on the outside - the office is small and older looking I was a little worried when we first got there. Once inside our room I was pleasantly surprised. It had been recently renovated. We over looked the pool which was really pretty nice for a small place. In a great location to get to pier and shops. I would stay here again, housekeeping was super nice and gave us extra's without a hassle. Breakfast was lame however. For a litte bit more they could of made it much better.

• Liked — lcoation
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lvthesea
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

I had to stay here for business for a couple weeks, and it was nice to have my own kitchen! Rooms were clean, staff was accomodating; there's even a continental breakfast with juice, cereal, coffee and bagels. The cons: there was no internet access and housekeeping did not empty the kitchen's garbage can, only the bathroom's!

• Liked — kitchen
  • Disliked — location is nothing special
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Becca_C
Pennellville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

The Dunes is a fine place to stay if you want close proximity to the beach and bars on Tybee Island. It's sort of an industrial/commercial looking place from the outside. On the inside the rooms are fairly typical. My room could have used some minor maintenance, but it was clean. The beach/fishing pier is one block away. It was my first visit to Tybee so I don't have much to compare it to on the local level. My wife and I had a blast at all the nearby bars . It was great that this hotel was close enough that we didn't need our car.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank verybigv
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

I was skeptical since some of the reviews were a little sketchy from previous years. However, the Dunes was the perfect stay for our family's weekend trip to Tybee. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a kitchenette. It was clean and quiet and a short walk to the beach. Its' location is perfect if you have kids, since all the shops and conveniences are within walking distance. If you want an affordable stay on beautiful Tybee Island and just need the basics, this is a great deal!

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank FuFuNorthCarolina
forsyth, ga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

We planned a trip to Savannah at the last minute on St. Patrick's Day weekend and everything was booked solid except the Dunes Inn and Suites. We had no trouble checking in and the staff was friendly. Our room was old but everything was clean and I didn't see any stains or noticeable spots anywhere. The room was pretty small but it served its purpose. We probably would not stay here again, but it wasn't horrible.

• Liked — it was nice on the outside
  • Disliked — needs many upgrades and the price was outrageous for the room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Atlantis Inn
Atlantis Inn
#6 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Dunes Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!