“Wonderful way to spend an afternoon”

Captain Mike's Dolphin Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dolphin and sightseeing tours on Tybee Island, GA.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Took the Dolphin Tour and was pleasantly surprised that it was so much fun and educational too!
Saw lots of Dolphins but also learned alot about them. Got lots of beautiful photos of shrimp boats and the point at Tybee Island. It really was a very nice boat ride! I Highly recommend it! We found the cost to be VERY reasonable too!

2  Thank jewliana
"fun trip"
in 9 reviews
"dolphins playing"
in 7 reviews
"staff was very friendly"

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had never been on a Dolphin tour and it was a pretty good. We saw several Dolphins and it lasted about 75 minutes. The lady that told about them was nice and it was a pleasant way to spend a little time.

1  Thank Vicki W
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We recently took the dolphin cruise with our 10 month old baby and my husband's parents while visiting Tybee.

I am rating the tour as poor because of the lack of service we received and the rudeness of the tour guide. The actual tour itself was nice and we were able to see several dolphins, as well as the scenic view of Tybee Island from the water, and the lighthouses.

We've been to Tybee before and used another tour company. We will use them again next time.

I should start by saying it was EXTREMELY difficult to get anyone to answer the phone at Captain Mike's, so it took me calling repeatedly (4-5 times) and leaving a message to finally get someone to call me back. They like for you to book ahead of time and reserve your tickets with a credit card, but they won't answer the phones? Makes it kind of difficult. When we finally booked our tour, they told us that there was only one tour time slot each day - 2:00 PM. They only offered one tour per day!? This was the week of Pirate Fest, so their were plenty of tourists on the island. They also told me that the tour was nearly full! If the tour is full, why not offer additional tour times? Families who are traveling with young children need more than one option available to meet their needs. Even though this was close to my son's nap time, we had no choice but to book that time slot if we wanted to go on the tour. So, we reserved the 2:00 tour.

They told us to arrive at 1:45, even though we'd already booked our tickets. Around 1:15, just before we left our condo, it started pouring down rain and storming. We tried to call their office to see if the rain would cause them to cancel the tour or postpone it. Of course, no one answered. We were unsure of what to do, so we waited a few more minutes to leave. Finally the rain stopped, so we went ahead and left our condo to head to the marina. We arrived at around 1:50 and collected our tickets at the desk. We immediately walked the short walk down to the docks and the tour boat was LEAVING! It was barely 2:00...maybe 1:57 or 1:58! We had to flag down the boat!! Instead of apologizing, the tour guide (an older blonde lady) embarrassed us by making a snide comment (at least twice) about us almost missing the tour and them having to stop the boat. Now, I should mention that the boat had not even left the dock, they were just starting to leave, its not like they had to turn it around and come back for us. AND, it was just BARELY time for the tour to begin!! We were not late! But, we would have arrived much earlier if it weren't for the rain and being unsure if the tour was cancelled, and since no one answers their phones, its hard to know what to do! Also, we were traveling with a 10 month old who naps on a schedule, and since they only offered ONE tour time per day, it interrupted his nap, and we were rushed to get there on time. The lady humiliated us in front of the entire boat. My mother-in-law, who has knee problems, had difficulty getting into the boat, and no one bothered to help her...not the captain, not the tour guide, no one. She had to struggle in front of all the passengers as she attempted to climb aboard, after we had already been put in the spotlight and embarrassed by the tour guide. We were putting my 10 month old son's life jacket on while standing on the dock, and the tour guide actually told us, ON THE MICROPHONE, to get in the boat and put his life jacket on after we got in! Not exactly very safe to climb on board a boat, holding a baby with no life jacket on. And so rude of her to speak to us the way she did, and in front of everyone on board.

The boat was jam-packed...there wasn't room for all of our family to sit down at the same time. We had to take turns sitting. Maybe if they offered more than one cruise per day, they wouldn't have these problems.

We DEFINITELY will not use Captain Mike's again. Such a shame, because I had heard such good things. Not a positive experience for our family. We will use the other Tybee tour company that we have used in the past and never had a problem with.

4  Thank AbbieAU82
CaptainMikes, Manager at Captain Mike's Dolphin Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

A business must make decisions to run tours based on previous experiences. In the off season, there is just not enough people to run multiple trips during the week.
Every effort is made to answer the telephones in a timely manner. In the off season, the office is not staffed full time. We return messages throughout the day.
Everyone has an off day at once in a while, and this must have been the tour guide's day. This is the first negative review about her in the ten years that she has been with us. We have shared the comment with her for future reference.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The cruise was smooth and we saw too many dolphins to count. The Captain gave us a beautiful day that will be long remembered. We highly recomend.

2  Thank pumpkinsarepretty