Kia Lodge – Kilimanjaro Airport
$153
$192
$90
$79
Ngorongoro Forest Tented Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)(Great Value!)
$254
$115
$112
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)(Great Value!)
$556
$536
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
  • Spa
Neptune Ngorongoro Luxury Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
$886
Tarangire Treetops(Tarangire National Park)
$1,155
  • Breakfast included
Gibbs Farm(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
$600
  • Restaurant
All reviewskilimanjaro airportlong flightinternational airportgift shopindividual hutsswimming poolair conditioningfollowing morninglate arrivalnice groundsshort stayspent one nightsafari tripviewpointafricacandlelightbirds
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our Kilimanjaro outfitter booked me a day room as part of the trip package. Had two hours to spend at this lodge before going to the airport for my evening departure to Amsterdam on KLM. Despite zero activity (I mean ZERO) in the reception area, it took the desk 30 minutes to find my reservation, supposedly made by the premier Kili outfitter. That left me 90 minutes to repack my bags for the trip. Bellman could not get the A/C to work, and windows did not open, so had to leave door open to avoid suffocation. Room clean, decent size, not fancy. Kia Lodge has very little charm as compared to other competitors in Arusha area. But for their location (three minutes from airport), I suspect they would be out of business in short order. After staying in a charming place the night before, this place was a downer. Time for new management. Or something.

Room Tip: I suppose closer to reception is better, but good luck in getting staff at the desk to act on any request, reasonable or otherwise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

It was our travel operator that changed our hotel from a one in Mosha to the Kia Lodge because of safety resaons. i'm not sure why as we arrived during the dau and left during the day.
We stayed the nights before and after our Kili trek.
Good points: Close to the airport (it is an airport hotel) and a quiet location despite that. Rooms are clean and the air con worked the first time but kept swithcing off the second time. Nice enough staff. Free wifi by the pool.
Bad points: Food was very poor. Over priced and very basic. $25 for a 3 course meal which I could have done better myself and thats saying something. Maybe I'm just spoilt with great food at home. I thought $25 was way too much. The breakfast was pretty bad too, fatty bacon, awful sausages. I made a cup of coffee to pour stale milk into it. The location is also a bad point too as you are stuck there with nowhere else to go.

Reading other reviews about the price to stay there I simply can't believe it. $145, £125 its not the Hilton! I would expect to pay half that.

Room Tip: check the AC as soon as you get in the room. if it doesnt work or have a control then ask to be moved.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have stayed in the KIA lodge two times before and always liked it. This lodge is located just 3 minutes away from the airport. After a long flight it is nice not to have to drive an hour to an hotel. The hotel is simple but clean and the staff is very friendly. You sleep in Masai shaped cabins that have a nice bed with mosquito netting and a good shower as well as a safe. The breakfast is nice and also the dinner is tasty. You have a beautiful view of Mount Kilimanjaro from the pool if you go there early in the morning or late afternoon. The bathroom towels did smell and we advise the lodge to change the washing procedure of them since it seems that the drying process has taking too long.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chantalremi
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel is only worth staying at if you have to have the convenience of being close to the airport. We had two rooms recently. Both had the A/C remotes missing (so you couldn't turn them on). They won't leave the remotes with you . And we were only able to get one room working. We had to make do with a fan in the other, even though we paid for full A/C in both rooms. And the internet if you want to call it that is almost worthless.

The rooms are old and shabby. Really nothing much to recommend this property other than the location.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Frank A
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We only stayed here for a few hours before our flight from JRO. It was fine for that--the shower was good, the AC cool enough, the room was clean and it was very close to JRO for our flight home. It served the purpose very well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple