“My dream trip!”

Arctic Whale Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Sto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Arctic Whale Tours offers unique whale safari experiences from Stø in Vesterålen, Norway. Whale bird and seal watching in one unforgettable adventure! Our main goal is to provide our visitors with a unique opportunity to observe marine animals in their natural surroundings and to spread knowledge about their behaviour and biology. We support research projects and cooperate with different environmental organizations, such as IFAW (International Federation of Animal Welfare), WWF and ORCA-organization.
Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia
“My dream trip!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This trip was amazing! Staff was professional and took are of us during all long trip. Weather was fine. Views was breathtaking. And the whale… we saw it!!! Born to be free. How many misteries it might know... Fantastic creacher!!!
So, definetly COME, RELAX AN ENJOY! When you get back you will become a better, wiser and happier person!!!

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Lulea, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quite great !”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Positive things:

* I saw 3 to 4 sperm whales, about 2 or 3 times they were quite close, around 20 meters from the boat. Also other animals such as birds, jellyfishes and seals.
* The staff/guides are very kind and friendly
* Beautiful place and great experience overall
* Got some fish soup and a sandwich

Negative things:

* The 'anti sea sick' pill makes you tired/sleepy (as we got told before we took it).
* Almost too many people on the boat. When watching the whales it was quite difficult to see as all of the people were going to the same area of the boat to see and shoot photos of the whale(s). And even though the staff on the boat told people to make room for the people from behind to see the whales, it wasn't really effective. It was also quite tight inside the boat when watching the photos and sitting down the at the tables to eat.
* The way back to the labour took us around 2 to 3 hours I think, during this time had really nothing to do.

1 Thank emilniemi
Paris, France
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Brilliant package, definite recommendation!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

They do what the name indivates: You sail out on a tough little ship and spend the day at sea looking for whales, and in the process also looking for seals and seanirds of all kinds.

The staff is very friendly, helpful and most importantly very knowledgable about the animals you get to see. Service is exceleent, from a nice detailled briefing before the ship leaves up to the ability to get an USB stick with great pictures of your trip (so you dont have to worry about fotographing and can enjoy the trip). They also write a daily blog to refreshen your memory about what happened.

They habe a "whale guarantee", in the unlikely event they cannot spot one, you get 50% of your money back or ride for free on the next trip again.

I can highly recommend this trip. One hint: Bring really (!) warm clothes, in any weather. The ship does not have enough space for all passengers indoor, so you will spend considerable time in tbe fresh arctic sea-air...

Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“more a "waves watching tour" than "whales watching tour"”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hello all,

I've just read some of the very possitive reviews and it made me think I had bad luck!!
I've done the tour a few days ago and I left the boat and Sto more than disappointed!!!

1. The day started well, with very nice presentation about sea life (birds+seals+whales) in the area of Sto. in the beginning of the cruise we have seen many birds and seals on an island close to Sto, which was nice and made us dream more about the whales.
2. sea-sick pill: it must have been the biggest mistake that we took it! my boyfriend was sick almost all the trip (which lasted 9 hours!!!!!!!!!!! way too long for what we could see), everybody on the boat was sleepy!! that pill really took away all the energy in us (I talk in the name of me and by boyfriend).
3. it is true that the guides who accompanied us were very enthusiastic and kind, but maybe a bit too enthusiastic for the little grey line (the whale from veeeery far) that we could see from the boat. too many passangers on the boat, so when the "whale" (little grey line) appeared on the surface we were almost stepping on each other to manage to see it!!!! I repeat, I can't say I've seen whales!!! I saw the blow a few times, but not the creature blowing! I expected to see the whale from much closer (I read in the reviews someone saying that the whale appeared at 10m away from the boat!!!). in my case the whale was very far, more than 100m away, so I couldn't even perceive its real size!!!

I don't reccomend the tour to those who are curious to see the whales from close, cause it's not likely to happen. I understand that the boat can't get too close to the whales in order not to bother them, but then such cruises shouldn't be organised at all!!! or they should give more details on the website, or some videos so we can see what to expect!

all the best and think twice before chosing to buy the tour.

1 Thank alexamir
“Service minded, enthusiastic personnel, but unnecessary long "transit" to the whale.”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's easy to get sea sick on the Northern Sea, so you might end up wishing you'd gone to a shorter whale safari. I can not know - but I assume there are always a few who get seriously sea sick on this -long- tour.

You are highly likely to get to see puffins, other seabirds, seals and in the end the sperm whale. But be aware that for the most of the time you will spend in "transit" to the sperm whale area - a very long transit (2.5 one way).
But even so - you might get to see other animals on the transit (we didn't).

The people working in the crew are really enthusiastic, cool to talk to and easy to learn from.