“Do not go anywhere near this hotel”

Econo Lodge Stone Mountain
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Tucker
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I reserved rooms here for 5 adults and 12 girl scouts for a weekend trip to Stone Mountain, after returning from a amazing day at Stone Mountain, we returned to the room. Immidietely after we were harrrased by other guest who were walking around banging on our doors and leaving, they made nasty comments to the girls and the adults, and followed us in the hallways and parking lot. There was evidence of drug use, in the hallways. After complaining to the front desk, I got a " I will watch the cameras", after a second complaint and a demand to speak with the manager I was called a liar. It took me 5 minutes to pack my girls up and head to another hotel. I have never been so terrified and afraid in my life, and the blatant disregard for my girls safety was disgusting. Please for your own safety DO NOT stay there!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank gslady

Reviewed August 19, 2010

I booked this through Choice Hotels, it looked clean in the picture and it was close to what we were wanting to do. When we pulled up, I thought OH NO... nothing like the picture. There were people walking around that looked like they were up to something. We did NOT feel safe at all staying here... The bed was hard as a rock, the people checking in later on were loud and had no courtsey for others trying to sleep. This place was not very clean and the staff was not very friendly.
Actually it was not a pleasant stay at all and I would not stay here again...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fordgirl2010
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I am actually at the hotel as I write this...it couldn't wait.

I feel no real need to describe the place as, after what I have to say, the state of the exterior shouldn't matter to anyone. Long story short, the exit at the end of the hallway furthest from the desk is kept open to facilitate the unsavory activities that take place here throughout the day.

The day we arrived, the parking lot was empty save for our car, and the 2 others parked at the far end of the hotel where all of the interesting activity takes place. Not long after our arrival, my wife went out front to have a cigarette and within minutes some turd was trying to pick her up. Since my wife isn't in that line of work, and told him so, he threatened to get out of his car, slap her in the face, and then shouted a profanity at her. Later that night when we returned for the evening, we saw several obvious prostitutes who had, oddly enough, emerged from that same far end of the hotel. The next morning (this morning) that end of the hotel was a buzz of activity with cars entering the parking lot and proceeding directly to the far end where they would enter the hotel, then depart again within 3-5 minutes. This is going on as I write.
Thank god it was just one night. We toughed it out and kept our handguns in our belts but would absolutely have been changing hotels if we were to stay in the area any longer.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank vr6pilot
Reviewed November 12, 2008

EconoLodge Stone Mountain should be avoided like the plague!

It is rundown and crumbling at the edges. The plaster exterior & parking lot pavement is cracked and dirty. The sign indicating its driveway is virtually invisible.

The neighborhood is dirty, rundown, and looked dangerous to be out in on foot.

As we entered I saw that the desk was behind what appeared to be a bulletproof barrier. The tiny foyer smelled of garlic.

A sign at the desk stated "No rooms rented for parties" and "No visitors in rooms" - a bad omen, to say the least.

The carpeting was dirty. The furniture was mismatched and looked like it had come from a thrift store. The air conditioner was so noisy that we had to turn it off to sleep.

There were no amenities: no iron, ironing board, or hair dryer; no microwave - Just some little bottles of shampoo and a soap chip. (There WAS a TV and small refrigerator.)

The Dominos Pizza phone number on the electronic keycard had been disconnected. When we attempted to have a pizza delivered from another company, I WAS TOLD THAT THEY DID NOT DELIVER TO THAT HOTEL AFTER DARK!!! We had to drive out to a nearby Subway.

The "continental breakfast" consisted of three tired little bagels, two small canisters of dry cereal, and an empty coffeepot. We did not trust the safety of the food: we went to McDonald's down the road.

The desk personnel were rude and neglectful, and contemptuous. I checked my credit card account when I returned home to make sure that I had not been cheated - because I expected to be.

I am a librarian with a computer. I can find anyone's name and address. I will find the names of everyone responsible for this hotel, from the Customer Service head all the way up to the CEO of Choice Hotels International, Inc. And they will be getting a letter they really don't want to read. It is painfully obvious that someone at Choice Hotels is not doing their job of riding herd on the independent franchises.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank twangy5
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We booked this reservation through the AARP site. We thought "Uh-oh" when we drove up Mountain Industrial Boulevard.
We chose this hotel because of its proximity to Stone Mountain. The room was adequate. However, the security latch was broken. We did not discover the broken latch until about 11 p.m.
A door leading outside at the end of the hall was left standing open. When my mother went down to the front desk for an extra towel and ice, the owner quesioned WHY she needed another towel. The ice machine was broken. Overall, I feel that this hotel would not be suitable for families or for senior citizens. To their credit, the owners were having new carpeting installed at the time of our stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank theelementaryteacher
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We were looking for a low-price one-night hotel for our family near stone mountain. I realized when checking in that this was not a high-tech hotel. The credit slips were filled out by hand - I had to wait for 20 minutes to check in. The room was OK but there were small German roaches. Linens and bathroom were clean. Curtains were falling down and did not provide complete privacy. There was no elevator and we had to carry our suitcases up stairs. A strong smell permeated the whole hotel like microwave popcorn??
Breakfast was a joke. Seating for 4 people at a time in the reception area. No separate dining area. Toast (toaster had dirty fingerprints on it) and cereal. We went next door to waffle house for breakfast. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank katlizzy
Reviewed April 1, 2005

A small hotel in the Atlanta suburbs.

Rooms - avg size, not very clean, linens were clean, bathroom needed some tile fixing.

Breakfast - bad coffee, no milk, tiny bagels and donuts, funny tasting OJ.

Staff - nice, quiet, Indian managed place

Smell - hallways smelled, in the morning owners were burn ‘smelling sticks’ - SUFICATING

4  Thank natalah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tucker
Hampton Inn Atlanta/Stone Mountain
Days Inn Atlanta Stone Mountain
#8 of 11 in Stone Mountain
Comfort Inn & Suites at Stone Mountain
Days Inn & Suites Tucker/Northlake

Been to Econo Lodge Stone Mountain? Share your experiences!