“Basically GOOD Home style Cafeteria”
Review of Matthews Cafeteria

Matthews Cafeteria
Ranked #4 of 134 Restaurants in Tucker
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had seen this little spot on DINERS, DRIVE-INS & DIVES some years ago but hadn't had a chance to get near here before. What a lunch treat this was at a remarkably reasonable price.
It is exactly what it is...a cafeteria.....so why would anyone expect gourmet food????
Came in on a Monday for the Triple D recommended chicken & dumplings but was saddened when I found out it's only prepped on Tuesdays. Figured if this place was going to be good I would try the fried chicken livers. FAN...TASTIC!!!! Crispy and lightly battered so as to complement and not drown out the rich meaty (and HUGE!!!!) chicken livers.
Fried green tomatoes were tasty despite having sat in the serving dish too long and being slightly cold.
Collard greens were ok...but chopped a bit too finely, not long and leafy for my taste and not as vinegary as those I have enjoyed more in Central Florida and coastal Georgia.
But the strawberry shortcake was light and lovely and made with fresh strawberries which is a treat for us frozen Canuck iceback travellers!!!
Thanks Matthews....this was a treat well worth the wait.

1  Thank Doug W

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've been going here for years and the food is not spectacular, just plain good. In particular, I'm very fond of the meatloaf, turkey and dressing (Thursdays only) and the chicken pan pie. Their broccoli casserole, squash casserole in particular are very good, as are all of their vegetables. For desert there is fresh strawberry shortcake, and my favorite, the cherry cobbler. During season, they also have home grown tomato slices. In short, just very good homestyle comfort food!

1  Thank snake44
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Thes guys know southern cooking. We love their fried chicken or go on Thursday's for the fried pork chop...these are great pork chops like Momma used to make. The sides are great as well. We love the mashed potatoes & green beans.

Come hungry as you will get a lot of food. It is all served buffet cafeteria style. I love that the desserts and salads are at the front of the line. We love their peach cobbler or strawberry shortcake. The sweet tea is also great. Free refills as staff come around to check on your drinks.

One of these days i am going for breakfast...they are only open Mon-Fri for lunch or supper. We love Matthews...it is worth the drive to Tucker, GA...

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I am touring Guy Fieri's diners, drive-ins, and dives. This is my second stop. I did not watch the show before coming. I did the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans. Sweet tea was the chaser, and a chocolate pudding for desert. This one wasn't worth the trip. I wasn't as good as the Silver Skillet. Price was about $11.00--about the same as the Silver Skillet.

Guy's show featured the sausage gravy and the chicken and dumplings. Since I came at lunch, the sausage gravy was done for the day, and I didn't see the chicken and dumplings.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The fried chicken, mashed potatoes, the rice. All the food served a amazing. The homemade Lemonade is delicious. The service of the waiters Excellent.definitely we would come again. Also the desserts homemade are to die for. My family and me love it!!!!