“Meat and 3”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Matthews Cafeteria

Matthews Cafeteria
Ranked #4 of 128 Restaurants in Tucker
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Tucker, GA
“Meat and 3”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Love our local meat and three. As most towns in the south this type of restaurant is a must. Great fried chicken.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank littleredrocker

Atlanta
“Not as good as the talk says it is.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This cafeteria has been in Tucker for over 40 years and it shows. I went to breakfast there 2 weeks ago and it is no cleaner than any other time I have been in there. All meals are served cafeteria style and it does stay busy due to local patronage. The breakfast was scrambled eggs which tasted like they had been scrambled on a flat grill heavy in meat grease, link, patty and hot sausages, country ham (pretty decent) and not really fresh toast of your choice of breads. The biscuits are made on premise and fresh though not warm enough to melt the cold butter. Sitting at a table if you can find a clean one, looking around you see dirty walls, and floors, the condiments on the tables are usually slippery from not being wiped down, not exactly free of critters flying or on foot.

I know it is a local institution, and the prices can be reasonable, but that does not make up for the rundown appearance and mediocre food. The fact they were on DDD seems to be their only recent claim to fame. With some sprucing up and more attention to the food, this could be a dynamite place to dine.

Great location in Tucker near the railroad tracks, and plenty of parking and they are open early enough to eat before heading to work, fast enough for lunch and if you are into early supper you can deal with it.

• Visited December 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Consistent home to comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

The only complaint that I can make about Matthews Cafeteria is that I always go away stuffed. If you are a fan of homemade, comfort food then you will like Matthews. This is a family owned business that has been a Tucker staple for decades.

They have a changing selection that varies by day. Regulars often have a favorite day to go. On my last visit, we had turkey and dressing, home-style vegetables, and enough chicken fingers to completely cover a plate.

This is a must go location if you are in Tucker. Be forewarned, that if you go during lunch it will be crowded by noon. Plan on going a little early.

Visited November 2012
Ocala, Florida
“Great Southern Cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Saw this restaurant on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, and made it a point to stop by when traveling throught the Atlanta area. We are so glad we did! We have made it a meal stop anytime we are in passing through the general Atlanta area, and it has been just as delicious each time. The food is served cafeteria style, with several choices that rotate from day to day. I would recommend going on fried chicken days, which are Tuesday and I believe Friday. (You can always check the menu on their website.) They have many excellent side dishes that are southern specialties - greens, beans, etc. A meal includes a main entree and two sides for a reasonable price. There is always a crowd, but I believe they have recently expanded the seating (and also the available parking), and the lunch time crowd is not a problem. You will see business men and casual diners mixed in the crowd. Get a sweet tea to go with your meal. I have heard the breakfast is very good here as well, but have never been in the area at that time of morning to try it out for myself. We will be back on our next trip through the area. The restaurant is not far off I-285.

• Visited October 2012
atlanta
“One roach to many”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

After recently eating at Matthews I had the pleasure of having two roaches run accross my table. I have never had anyting like this happen in my life. This was in the middle of the day during lunch. If you have this happen you have a problem. There is no excuses that can be made. You have an infestation. I will never set foot in this place again.

Visited October 2012