“History Alive”

Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Tifton
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you love history then you will like this place. To see how times has changed in Agriculture is amazing. What better place to have it then in the south. I never thought much about it before, but to see the here and now compared to way back...

1  Thank Cindy887
"general store"
"on site"
"couple of hours"
in 2 reviews
"like stepping back in time"

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Its a great way to get a glimpse of rural life in Georgia in the late 1800s. We loved the docents that talked about some of the exhibits.

2  Thank FloridaTheresa
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Have seen it several times passing on I-75 and decided to stop and visit. Couldn't see everything in one day but the staff was very helpful with helping me getting my mother around to the different displays. The staff were very knowledgeable about the equipment and the history, I will definitely be back especially when they have their special events!

2  Thank Amy M
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is Georgia's official museum of agriculture, a living history museum set during the 1870 - 1899 focal period.
Better than any place in the country that I'm aware of, The Georgia Agrirama depicts the transition from pre-mechanized farming to modern day agricultural.
The working farm and village include mule farming with the necessary subsistence skills such as quilting, churning, canning, etc. The village is a complex system of cotton ginning, turpentine processing, saw milling, grist milling and the merchant support enterprises that were ubiquitous in the small farming communities of the late 19th century. There is a working steam tram which meanders through the site with visitors on board.
The Georgia Museum of Agriculture is maintained and operated by The University of Georgia's flagship agricultural institution, Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College. A stop-over to visit the Agrirama is well worth the time and meager cost and may well be a more memorable vacation experience than days at one of the "seen-one-seen-them-all" theme parks. No mouse suits here, just good hosts who well represent the neighborly hospitality of a bygone time.

5  Thank lever8651
See more reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stopped in the midst of a road trip-and thought a couple of hours would be plenty to see everything. I wish we had planned to stay longer! I also wish that I would have brought bottles of water with us into the village. There are drink machines near the restrooms and big cups of water with chipped ice (for 50 cents) available at the drugstore, but after walking around for almost 2 hours we were desperate for a drink!

All of the docents were extremely helpful and friendly to us and our kids-who got to help in the demonstrations at the grist mill and the printing press. We will definitely be back! We all had a great time.

I said in my review that food is available for purchase, but to be fair it's really only ice cream, candy and bags of uncooked grits...so if you need a snack/lunch make sure to pack one! There are some ramps for wheelchairs and strollers, but I can't imagine trying to navigate the trails in a chair, and some parts of the buildings aren't accessible by ramp. There were a lot of golf carts around, so perhaps the docents are willing to offer a ride to anyone who has difficulty navigating the uneven trails? It would certainly be worth a phone call to find out before going.

There is an indoor museum, but the bulk of the attraction is the historical homes/structures in the village which means that in extreme weather this would not be a good place to visit. Bring sunscreen and wear walking shoes as most of the village is outdoors/requires walking.

6  Thank uusarahmcg