“My Momma's not gonna be happy about this....”
Review of Charles Seafood

Charles Seafood
Ranked #15 of 108 Restaurants in Tifton
Cuisines: Seafood
“My Momma's not gonna be happy about this....”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

As a Virginian raised on the Chesapeake Bay, I pride myself on being a "seafood snob". My Mom made the BEST oyster stew and its rare to even find it on a menu any more - all that milk and butter - bless her heart!! When I saw the offering at Charles Seafood, I just knew it was going to be right on - and it hit every hope I had. Risking embarrassment - after I snarffed every perfect oyster - I tipped the bowl with my hands to my mouth as the spoon was just too small to get at that deliciousness. I was sure those around me would completely understand and just maybe let their own self be free. My cute husband had the Grouper sandwich and coleslaw - and was much more restrained but just as pleased. Charles Seafood is Tifton's Treasure. Be taken back in time where pride in quality and family ownership shock you with their modest prices.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Trixi61

Moultrie, Georgia
“Great seafood”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great fresh seafood, generous portions. Tried the Captains Platter which had fried shrimp, scallops, oysters and mullet. I'm not a fan of mullet but it was tasty enough that even I enjoyed it. Shrimp, oysters and scallops were great. Hushpuppies were a little different...seemed to be made with more flour than cornmeal but they were okay. This is a local 'mom and pop' operation so expect dated decor and crowds but if good seafood is what you're there for, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2012
Rome, Georgia
“Great little seafood place”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Have always looked forward to stopping in for shrimp at my favorite down to earth seafood place. Be back for more next time
I travel down I-75!!

Visited July 2012
Omega, Georgia
“Kinda Crowded”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I remember visiting Charles Seafood with my mom, my aunts and my cousins. It was kinda crowded and the seating wasn't all that comfortable. The food and service, in my opinion, were good.

Maryville, Tennessee
“Locals recommend Charles Seafood”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

On a trip down I-75, we stopped for the night at Exit 62 in Tifton Georgia. My husband asked the manager of our hotel for a restaurant recommendation. He recommended Charles seafood restaurant a local favorite for the past 24 years. We love seafood and so when we found out that Charles was not a chain, and a favorite with the locals, our choice was made. I must say when we walked in the door we were not impressed. The place is worn and needs up-dating; however, the parking lot was full so we were encouraged to give it a try. We were greeted by a very friendly hostess and seated at a table with an enthusiastic waitress who cheerfully told us about all the fresh food choices. When our food arrived we were served on paper plates and our drinks in large Styrofoam cups. There are no frills but the old Formica table was clean and the booth seats were in good shape. The food was outstanding! We started off with gator tail which was lightly battered and fried to perfection. The gator was so tender and juicy that it almost melted in your mouth and it was served with a delicious dipping sauce. We followed with a huge portion of lightly seasoned broiled grouper that was cooked to perfection. Hush puppies, cole slaw, and cheese grits completed the meal. I am a Florida girl and have eaten gator many times but have never had gator tail as good as it was at Charles. The restaurant was crowded with a diverse group of locals who were enjoying the food and one another's company. The menu includes an "All You Can Eat" option every day and two nights a week the special is "All You Can Eat" crab legs. You will find many unusual specialties on the menu such as frog legs & quail. Our meal was $30.00 including the tip for two people. We have paid double that price in other restaurants for less food that wasn't as good. We would highly recommend this place for great seafood, and great service; however, this restaurant really needs a facelift.

• Visited August 2012

Been to Charles Seafood? Share your experiences!