“dump”
Review of White Columns Inn

White Columns Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Thomson
Reviewed March 22, 2011

help ok but know one has clue fitness room closed front desk did not know put me in wrong room. rooms are small i travel all over georgia every week for what thay charge totol rip off worth 45 /49 a night max

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank daveman64
There are newer reviews for White Columns Inn

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Not many choices in this small town. I do not like outside entrances like this place, but it was okay. There were people in the parking lot playing some sort of Horseshoe game and drinking beer. We thought we were in for a bad night, but it was very quiet and we slept well. The bathroom floor was not as clean as I like but typical for the type of property. The best part was the free buffet breakfast. It was actually very good. We first checked another property across the street but all they had were smoking rooms and the strangest thing going on. There were guests cooking their supper in the lobby. It smelled strongly of onions and permeated the entire motel. Anyway, the Best Western was tolerable.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2011

The Best Western White Columns Inn is located right off I-20 in Thomson, Georgia, and is easy to find. The front desk staff was welcoming at check-in and quickly had me on my way to my room. There seems to be quite a lot of variability in room rates. The lowest online rate was $85, I called the property direct and booked at $75, and the marquee offered an even lower rate in the upper-$60's when I arrived.

This property has several buildings and I overheard the desk clerk telling one guest that wireless internet had not yet been installed in his particular building. The online connection worked fine in my room. The room was exceptionally clean and the bathroom was well appointed. I found the decor to be a bit odd - colonial furniture with a wild 1970's motif bedspread. All the mechanicals - HVAC, TV, remote, and plumbing - worked well.

White Columns has upgraded their breakfast offering since my prior visit. It used to be more continental fare in a dedicated breakfast room. Now they have a delicious hot buffet in the dining room. Everything was clean, appetizing, and plentiful.

All in all, this property is the best choice in Thomson. Despite being older with a park-right-outside-your-door format, the rooms are well maintained and clean. The staff is guest oriented, and the houskeepers are eager to get started early. Be sure to put out the do not disturb sign if you aren't an early riser.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Stayed one night on a business trip. I had to postpone the trip a week and when changing the reservation was given a discount on the rate...not sure why I didn't get it when I first made the reservation, but was glad to get it...the original rate seemed kinda high.
The hotel seems popular with contractors based on the large amount of construction related trucks in the parking lot. The complimentary buffet breakfast was better than average continental fare. The room itself was on the small side (single queen bed), bathroom was cramped, and the furniture was definitely on the downhill side of it's useful life. Bed as marginally comfortable. Room reeked of deodorant-type spray.
Wi-fi connection was great in my room. Had to stay in the area an additional night but opted to try the Comfort Inn across the street for the 2nd night in town...cost a little more but the rooms were much nicer.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Wi-fi and AC didn't work. Room was OK, beds seemed a bit small. No spare blanket in room, microwave sitting awkwardly on top of a mini-fridge just inside the room. Big bathroom, quiet, and rooms available last minute. OK for a one night stop-over, but I wouldn't stay longer than that.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed November 10, 2010

My company had a business meeting at this hotel, the front desk staff was friendly and professional, the General Manager helped our group with setting up our equipment. The hotel is older but has a nice southern charm. The hotel rooms were older but very clean and well stocked. We all met for dinner in the Lounge and the bartender was extremely busy and the kitchen seemed busy but we noticed that the same lady the General Manager was still at the hotel she was helping the cooks and then returned to the lounge to help the bartender. We have stayed here 5 years ago and had never seen a manager that worked with her staff so well. Lori the bartender spoke very highly of her and said she works like that everyday. Our thoughts as being business men is keep her !! Keep up the good work Best Western !! It's the management and staff that make that property!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I was really disappointed with my stay at this hotel. I had read some previous reviews some good, some bad. Therefore, I took my chance on the hotel. I picked this particular hotel for the convenience of a Restaurant/Bar attached that way I did not have to drive over a town I was not familiar with. On the day of arrival I found out that they had a gas leak in the kitchen and the restaurant had been closed down for days and would not open back up until Monday.
Why don't they call guest that have reservations and let them know of this situation. At least give us an option to stay or discount our room rate. When I ask the clerk at the front desk about this she shrugged and told me she would give me a gift card for McDonalds across the street. Really McDonalds? Being disappointed with the situation, I went to my room and was disappointed again.
There was trash under the bed, shower head had lime build up, mold in grout of the tube and the coffee maker was broken. Do I need to say more? Well guess what, the toliet handle had to be jiggled after every flush for it to even stop running. The toliet ran half of the night. If this was not enough, the maid banged on my door at 8:30 to clean the room even though check out was at 11:00. I wanted to sleep in a little but the maid cleaning the room next door made sure that was not going to happen. She slamed doors and ran into things just to make noise.
I really felt rushed to check out of the room. When I went to check out at 11:00, I informed the front desk help of the broken items and the problems that I had experienced. She didn't apologize or offer any type of discount. She did tell me the next time, I should put a "Do not Distrub" sign on the door so that the maid would not bother me. Really?
I might have done that if one of those signs were in my room.
Very unprofessional and uncaring about what the customer thinks. I wasn't looking for a "freebie" but an apology would have at least been nice. Next time, I will stay at the Holiday Inn across the street.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomson
Econo Lodge
Hyatt Place Augusta
Hyatt Place Augusta
#2 of 84 in Augusta
Baymont Inn & Suites Augusta Fort Gordon

Been to White Columns Inn? Share your experiences!