“Lovely Hunting Plantation”

Pebble Hill Plantation
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Thomasville
More attraction details
Owner description: Old plantation home with impressive stables.
San Antonio, Texas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Lovely Hunting Plantation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

My friend was in town to visit an really wanted to see a plantation and we discovered Pebble Hill. The plantation is a mid-late 1800's and is not as big as the Gone With the Wind Plantation but still very pretty and definitely worth seeing. The staff is very friendly and knowledgable about the plantation and the family history. The grounds are beautiful as well and definitely worth a walk around. Picnicking is allowed so definitely a great idea on a nice afternoon. I really enjoyed this plantation.

Visited October 2013

Wiesbaden, Germany
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful, well maintained plantation.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

The manicured grounds of Pebble Hill are enjoyable and relaxing for quiet outing. It has an impressive spread of gardens and buildings. The main house is beautiful and recommended to see how the families who owned the plantation lived through the years. There is a short video offered when you purchase your ticket that I suggest watching. The history behind the grounds is not very long but nonetheless interesting. Two hours can be expected to be spend here if you view the inside of the house or find yourself in a slow moving group.

Visited September 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
152 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Lovely quiete place aside the street with impressive old country houses.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We had this one on our to do list during the roadtrip. It is worth to stop here and take a break, 1-2h should be considered for the walk on the grounds. The houses look really impressive, all the gardens around are well maintained, so you can almost feel how life back at that time must have been.

Visited September 2013
Daytona Beach, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“No Mention of Slavery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

While I truly enjoyed my visit at the Plantation and was overwhelmed by its stunning grounds and beautifully restored and maintained buildings and I fully understand that the "mission" of today's museum is to focus on the late 1800 rather than the early, I found myself thoroughly disappointed that the history synopsis had only this to say about the times when slaves worked the land hard: "... when Georgia was invaded ... and plantation owners way of life was drastically changed..."

I am originally from Germany and some people don't understand how we deal with the darkest chapter of our history, namely of course, the Holocaust in terms of making it "visible" rather than pushing it under the rug. It happened, we cannot understand, or move forward with the present if we are in denial about history, no matter how cruel and hurtful, and we will continue to struggle coming to terms with it, and more importantly, make it difficult for future generations to see the past and help shape a great future.

When I asked my husband (who is an American), why is it, that whenever I visit places in the South and slavery is not mentioned, he said, maybe they don't want to offend African Americans. I truly believe the opposite is the case: I certainly would be greatly offended, if part of a history that is so blatantly left out and has caused so much terror, exploitation and injustice and whose direct results are corroding the way we live together as black and white in today's America. No euphemism such as "lifestyle changed" versus "slavery was abolished" will neither reverse what one group of people did to another, nor will it bridge the gap between races and social injustice and inequality that we continue to struggle with. A good start would be to tell it like it was and taking a risk that some people might be "offended".

Nicola
Daytona Beach, FL

Visited August 2013
45 Thank Nicola566
Thomasville, Georgia
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Take a walk back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

When you visit Pebble Hill, you take a step back in time to see how the wealthy plantation owners used these homes for winter getaways and for year round residences. This was a hunting plantation and there are very interesting grounds and stables to explore. I have been to several weddings at this venue and they are always unique and beautiful. The stables are so nice they have receptions there! This is a unique opportunity to visit a home still furnished as it was in the day of Miss Pansy Poe. Well worth the visit. Watch for the original Audubon drawings in the main floor gallery of the home.

Visited January 2013