“Fun for everyone” 5 of 5 bubbles

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stone Mountain's Laser show is a staple for all living in the city and surrounding areas. The laster show is fun for kids and adults of all ages and serves as a great date for couples! Growing up in Atlanta, I don't remember a summer when we did not go to the laser show. As they change it frequently, it's always a thrill seeing the new show each year.

Visited July 2011

Atlanta
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Always Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

So much family fun. Take a picnic, a ball and a blanket!

Visited May 2012
Pensacola, Florida
“wonderful time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

A great family place to kick back and relax. The firework show was patriotic and fantastic.

Visited June 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fun evening, disappointing show”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I went to the laser show every year, even multiple times per year when I was growing up and it was one of my favorite things about summer. It's been about five years since I had been and went with a group of friends (all in our late 20s) recently. Its $10 to get in the park per vehicle and free to attend the laser show. We had a terrific picnic on the lawn and overall an enjoyable evening, but I will admit I was disappointed by the laser show itself.

If you go on a weekend, make sure you get there early. During the summer, the show starts around 9:30. We arrived at the park a little after 7 pm and had difficulty finding a parking spot.

We brought several blankets to spread out on and you can also bring lawn or tailgate chairs sit in. I personally prefer watching the show from the lower part of the upper lawn, just above the train tracks.

So my thoughts on the show... Its longer now than it used to be. It lasts about 45 minutes and features fireworks and pictures projected on the mountain in addition to the lasers. It really is an amazing experience to watch. Many of the laser scenes are the same ones from years ago, put in a different sequence or to new music. My problem with the show is that it tries to be too many things to too many people. It used to feature songs that were well known and you would sing along while the lasers told a story on the side of the mountain. Now, it has 30 second to 1 minute clips of songs thrown together in a hodge podge. A couple of the songs are full length but for the most part it's shorter snipits. The songs don't flow particularly well from one to another and they have sped up or chosen faster versions of the songs than what you hear on the radio. I do like the song choices they chose, some are familiar ones everyone knows and some are newer hits that engage a younger audience, I just didn't always care for the version or the way they manipulated the song.

My favorite part of the entire show was always the end... It was a trilogy, going from Georgia on my Mind to a regional classic in Elvis' version of Dixie, to a finale of Lee Greenwood's God Bless the U.S.A. They've moved Georgia on my mind and Dixie near the beginning of the show, playing short clips of the songs, and dropped Greenwood's song all together. It was disappointing to lose that song and finale, that anchored the show for as long as I can remember. Now, they have an operatic version of the Star-Spangled Banner at the end, which I like the song choice, not the version, and ask the audience to rise for it. I just wish they did that AFTER the old finale and still had Lee Greenwood's song.

Overall, we had a great evening at the park and I am certain I will take my children there someday, but it definitely did not live up to my memories of it.

Tupelo, MS
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had seen the show about 10 years ago. They have made much of the music and images for the more modern generation. Only about 20 minutes were patriotic and had a theme. The rest was like a video game The patriotic segment was super.

Visited June 2012