“Worth the stop”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E. Ponce de Leon
Transit: Marta stops right at our front door, minutes from Stone Mountain Park.
Description: The Basket Bakery originally began as a wholesale bakery with a small additional luncheon room, operated by the Frieses, a German couple. As the bakery’s customers grew, so did the popularity of Hilde's extraordinary cooking. Now in its third location, The Village Corner German Restaurant includes a traditional style German tavern, a European bakery and a cafe style dining room that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. A traditional German menu contains potato pancakes, Black Forest ham and Weiner Schnitzel among other selections. Our artistic and decorative bakery cakes are worthy of any special occasion. In addition The Village Corner boasts a wonderful banquet room that facilitates weddings, receptions, rehearsal dinners, parties and much more.
Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have been visiting this bakery for 35 years, each time we visited Atlanta. I highly recommend it for dining or the bakery. Coconut macaroons are awesome but so is rhubarb strawberry pie. The gem of a restaurant has survived while sadly the rest of Stone Mountain Village has declined.

1  Thank Susan S

Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

The food and beer were both fantastic. Their American IPA was probably one of the best IPA’s that I have ever had. We ordered an appetizer that we didn’t get until after we had finished our plates. The jagerschnitzel was fantastic along with the Reubenettes. My husband had the sausage platter and they were cooked to perfection. This place is definitely worth the stop but don’t expect great service.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Visited this restaurant on a Friday evening at the last minute. Had not visited for several years. Did some recent traveling and had German food twice in two other German restaurants in our locations in the USA and the Village Corner experience just came in last. After being seated immediately, we knew what we wanted; Jaeger Schnitzel, and that is what we both ordered at $18.00. reasonable cost. We asked if anything came with their entrees and were told no, nothing came with it. And we mean NOTHING. No bread, no pretzel, nothing. So we sat and waited anticipating large portions of the food.

The food arrived in reasonable amount of wait, and we both had jaeger schnitzel, but it just didn't hit the mark. The spätzle was cold, the schnitzel was tough to cut and to eat and the breading coat was falling off the pork cutlet. My wife said her schnitzel was better; so mine must have just been overcooked. Portios were okay, but the quantity of the schnitzel was half the portion of the two other German restaurants recently tried, just to compare. As soon as it arrived I asked if they had any bread to accompany the meal. They indicated they would have to see if they had any bread or not and that there might be an extra charge for the bread. No problem, I want bread. Well, I ate the whole dinner because I was starved and no bread ever arrived. When the waiter did return he said "well I guess you don't want the bread now" and I agreed.

They have an in-house bakery and the displayed apple and also cherry straddle looked too good to pass up so we ordered 2 each to go at $5.95 each. We did try them later; the cherry was the better of the two. The apple just did not cut it in our opinion; not sweet, blah tasting.

Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

Should be rated 2.5 but that isn’t allowed.

Read the reviews so was looking forward to a good meal.
Service started off very slow and I was on the verge of leaving when a waitperson arrived.
From the on service was okay until time to leave. Then it took awhile to flag down the waitperson.
As for the meal:
Started with the giant pretzel and found it delicious and the two dips that accompanied it were tasty.
Ordered the sauerbraten and was disappointed.
It was tasteless. The beef and red cabbage lacked all flavor - very disappointed.

Would try this place again but would probably try elsewhere first.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed July 1, 2018

We love German food, but have not found great German food in the States until now! The food, atmosphere and beer are all excellent and authentic. Highly recommend it.