“So much good food, it was hard to choose!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Corner

Village Corner
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E. Ponce de Leon
Transit: Marta stops right at our front door, minutes from Stone Mountain Park.
Description: The Basket Bakery originally began as a wholesale bakery with a small additional luncheon room, operated by the Frieses, a German couple. As the bakery’s customers grew, so did the popularity of Hilde's extraordinary cooking. Now in its third location, The Village Corner German Restaurant includes a traditional style German tavern, a European bakery and a cafe style dining room that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. A traditional German menu contains potato pancakes, Black Forest ham and Weiner Schnitzel among other selections. Our artistic and decorative bakery cakes are worthy of any special occasion. In addition The Village Corner boasts a wonderful banquet room that facilitates weddings, receptions, rehearsal dinners, parties and much more.
Houston, Texas
“So much good food, it was hard to choose!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

You are greeted in the bakery, then ushered past the large wooden bar into the dining area. It was full on a Sunday night, and we had a short wait. All the more time to sample the German beer and a pretzel appetizer. We shared the wurst plate, spaetzle, and other delicious dishes. I would go there for any meal of the day.

1 Thank Leslie G

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Wonderful Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Had Sunday Brunch before leaving Atlanta and heading home to the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. The food was very good and ample, very ample indeed. I had the apple pancakes w/bacon (4 pieces), side of grits, and coffee. Everything was delicious and hot. Service wasn't fast but it was good and Sunday mornings aren't supposed to be fast.
The bakery had a large assortment of breads and cakes. I visited Germany last summer and the bakery brought back fond memories of breakfasts and bakeries in Obersdorf. Brought a slice home for my mother-in-law (she's a real German) and she said it was delicious.
The décor is a little cheesy but it seems more suited for American tastes or ideas of what a German restaurant should be.
Overall I would recommend this restaurant for your dining experience and plan on visiting again next time I'm in Atlanta.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Steven B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great German Food & Baked Goods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is in the original town of Stone Mountain -- not the park -- at the corner of Main and the park's West entrance drive. Wonderful German food and baked goods (and roughly 3 dozen different beers). My wife had the Wiener Schnitzel and I had the Weisswurst and Frikadellen with Potato Pancakes and beer. (Frikadellen is billed as "hamburger with the bun inside" and consists of ground beef and breadcrumbs (think meatloaf) formed into a patty and cooked on the griddle: surprisingly good!) While the German food is excellent, the baked goods look like they may be even better. All this and very reasonably priced (lunch for two with beers & tip = under $45). Dining on the porch is available in season, and they will pack a picnic lunch if you want to take that into the park.

1 Thank Fred_PA_2000
Cumming, Georgia
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife, sister-in-law and I found this restaurant by mistake. However, it was a pleasant surprise. The food was very good and the service was good as well. The ambiance does leave something to be desired as it is a very plain dining area. If the decor were to be updated the dining experience would be greatly enhanced. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
Florida
“Great Bar Experience - Hostess was a Challenge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We found a great selection of beers on tap (as the owner said, "Spaten, the beer Guiness wishes it could be", some of the best hot pretzels and homemade mustard I've ever had, and followed that with some great sandwiches from the bar menu. That was - and I see this in other reviews - after we had to work our way around a completely over controlling hostess who had her sights set on locking down every seat, even the barstools in the bar. The restaurant was 1/3 full and we were early (around 5pm) - so our wives tended to the hostess while we grabbed four of the open barstools (10 or more were available so it was easy). For the owners (management), if you are reading these, you and I chatted at the bar while you were washing glassware on Saturday evening, 10/26/13. I watched - as two others - after putting their name on a list, were told by the bartender (not her fault) that she could not serve them (she had already gotten scolded for "letting" us sit at the bar without hostess approval). Alert to owners here - I read these reviews before going, and if I hadn't driven up from Florida that morning and was staying inside Stone Mtn park - I would have ventured elsewhere, BUT, I wanted a nearby beer and we decided we'd give that a try before we drove too far. IF I had been roughed up like these other people - I would have walked out - prime time or not. So - you obviously have some issues, there's clearly a trend in your reviews. There were tables open - and people understand a wait if you can simply grab a beer at the bar as you do in every other establishment in this country. Fix this part - it's very simple on your end - and work on your hostess training (that one needed to go). Your beer, your food and your bakery certainly stand out and deserve more recognition than letting the service rule the roost here - because when that's off - people will respond negatively to that.

2 Thank gsjaxbch