“BEWARE !”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E. Ponce de Leon
Transit: Marta stops right at our front door, minutes from Stone Mountain Park.
Description: The Basket Bakery originally began as a wholesale bakery with a small additional luncheon room, operated by the Frieses, a German couple. As the bakery’s customers grew, so did the popularity of Hilde's extraordinary cooking. Now in its third location, The Village Corner German Restaurant includes a traditional style German tavern, a European bakery and a cafe style dining room that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. A traditional German menu contains potato pancakes, Black Forest ham and Weiner Schnitzel among other selections. Our artistic and decorative bakery cakes are worthy of any special occasion. In addition The Village Corner boasts a wonderful banquet room that facilitates weddings, receptions, rehearsal dinners, parties and much more.
Atlanta, Georgia
“BEWARE !”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am not a young man, have had thousands of meals on the road. Some good, some bad, Some excellent. Service, the same . This is the only place I have ever got up and walked out of. Enough said.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank steve b

Virginia
“Delicious and quaint”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stopped in at the Village Corner restaurant after spending the day at Stone Mountain Park. We enjoyed our meal, especially the Reuben sandwich and the wonderful sausage samplings. The desserts were to die for, so be sure to save room for some sweets! The restaurant was quaint and cozy and the service was good. Be sure to stop in on your next trip to Stone Mountain!

• Visited June 2013
Illinois
“like a trip to Germany”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We went here for a family party. As soon as you walk in the door you get the wonderful aromas of the bakery, with all kinds of cakes, tortes, cookies and bread. The bar and restaurant area has wood beams and booths and looks just like a local Gasthaus in Germany. Our food was excellent - the schnitzel was tender, red cabbage and spaetzle were perfect. They have several kinds of German beer on tap. Service was very good and the cake they baked for the guest of honor was fantastic. I was amazed to see an authentic ethnic restaurant like this in a smaller town. I wish I lived close so I could try all their different tortes.

• Visited May 2013
Stone Mountain, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“They've got some issues...”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

First off, let me say that their pastries are very decent. I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. However the food is just okay and perhaps overpriced.

As a hiring policy, they tend to only hire women, and pretty women for most jobs, and men of minority for cleaning and cooking. Just to test this, I applied with my professional and multi-faceted background and was not hired. I was not even contacted. I Emailed my resume and even came at the time I was supposed to to meet up with the hiring person, Selina, but she did not show and did not talk to me until the position was filled, but informed me they needed dishwashers and cooks.

Anyway, I thought I would say everything that I knew because in this day and age, we should support places not only for their service, but their practices, and some of you might like to know this about them.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank HERETICPRIME
Venice, Florida
“Good German Food”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised to find a good German restaurant while travelling. Good selection of German beers and the food was delicious. We had a sausage plate for 2 and found the portions to be very generous and so good. The service was good and our waitress was very helpful and friendly.

• Visited February 2013