“Nice park, but check weather before going!”

Stone Mountain Park
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Stone Mountain Park is Georgia's most visited attraction, drawing nearly 4 million guests each year. With over 3,200 acres of natural beauty, the Park is a unique and fun destination where families and friends can enjoy the outdoors together, while experiencing an exciting variety of attractions, entertainment and recreation. It's home to the worlds largest LaserShow Spectacular, tons of attractions, two championship golf courses, a campground and two Mariott hotels.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I bought my tickets in advance at AAA and saved money and I also thought I would save time once I got to the park. However, I was wrong...I still had to stand in huge lines to exchange my tickets for armbands. I was at the ticket booth near the sky ride (don't go there! Go to the main ticket exchange, which has more windows open!) and it only had 1 person working and long, long lines. Everyone in front of me is angry & walking away from the ticket booth very annoyed and when I get to the window I figure out why...after standing in line for at least 30 minutes, everything is closed due to a storm that had came through earlier. This is fine for me-- safety first, but couldn't they have had someone tell you this BEFORE you stood in line?!? No other employees anywhere around, except of course the git shops. I could still exchange my tickets, but couldn't use them.

At this point, we walked to the museum where an employee announced attractions were all open again, so then we went to the other ticket exchange. This area had plenty of ticket windows open, but no one seemed to know what was going on! While in line, an employee announced to everyone that all attractions were still closed. What? I went and told him what the museum employee announced and he said he would check on it. Sure enough, it was all open again. How can no one know what's going on? This type of establishment should really be more organized!

This is not an inexpensive place so if you can't use your armbands to the fullest, then save your money. If I could have, I would have left and came back another day to exchange our tickets but our schedule didn't permit this & there were no refunds on tickets. I am glad we went but it was more of a theme park atmosphere than a real park-- expensive, everything is spread out, lots of walking, and employees who don't seem to communicate obvious things like whether the attractions are even or not with each other. Great place, just be prepared.

1  Thank Pairandspare

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to see stone mountain just to find out that only two attractions were opened the whole time we will be here and this information was not on there phone application if it was we would not have come here we would have gone somewhere else. I'm so disappointed. Such a waste of my time and vacation...

2  Thank Erika P
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice park. We stayed at the Marriott, which made for easy access to the park. The park is very family friendly. Avoid the top of the mountain after 12pm. Too hot

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We passed through on Friday night, August 9 while on vacation. We had seen the carving and light/laser show before but this time wanted our daughter to see it. After paying our $10 park admission, the park attendant told us there would be no light/laser show and that everything in the park was shut down. I was almost tempted to ask for our money back, but didn't. We proceeded to view the carving, and drive through the park. Other park visitors were disappointed that the park was shut down on a summer Friday night. If one plans to go there, it would be wise to not assume it is fully operational - train, tram to the top, shops, laser show, fireworks, etc. At least the restrooms were unlocked and the roads were void of traffic. The $10 fee should have been waived or reduced because of this unexplained shut down for a prime Friday night in the middle of summer vacation season.

1  Thank johndsimsjr
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our kids love Stone Mtn! This trip we did the Crossroads area--The Great Barn was good air conditioned fun, we were with kids ages 3-9 and all enjoyed this area with balls, slides, games and enough to do for all ages.

SKY Hike was was the highlight for all except for the 3 year old (who played in the really cool playground just behind the SKY HIKE) All the kids enjoyed this cool course--very similar to zip lining with the harnesses etc but you are walking on ropes, skinny rails, etc...Very safe and there are helpers when you reach level 2 and level 3. My daughter had enough on tier 2 and she was able to get help and exit the attraction with a very personable and professional young man who made her feel just fine about her choice to leave. She was still hooked into her safety gear as she made her way down which I was relieved to see. Dont forget close toed shoes and they will not let you take phones, backpacks, anything up on the course--lockers are available for $1 near the entrance.

To cool off Geyser towers was fun for all the kids--they all got wet and had a ball. Not sure why there are no changing area's or restrooms near this attraction since it would be great to have a place for the kids to change clothes so they are not wet the rest of the day--again closed toed shoes are required and the kids did get SOAKED!

On other trips we have enjoy the Skyride and had to the get the photo to prove we were there! Up on top of the mountain is beautiful and a must do/must not miss! Train ride was nice to cool off but can be loud if your child is sensitive to whistle etc...Also have been during the winter and had an excellent experience as well in the crossroads area. We haven't done snow mountain-but lots of people have!!! Also you must plan to see the laser show. We missed it this year, but are putting it on our to-do-list for next year. Saw it as a kid and thought it was sooo cool!

I encourage you to take a backback with whatever you need--it was no problem to bring it in the crossroads area. Also you can do in/out --we ate a picnic lunch in the parking lot on a big rock--it was very nice!

RIde the Ducks was a short ride into the lake with some cool music. The captain went out of his way to accommodate our big group. I appreciated his willingness to help! All the kids on board got to drive the boat---our captain made sure all were safe in the boat and shared some facts/history about Stn Mtn while we were cruising. It was a nice ending to a very fun day. Its maybe 30/45 minute ride with quacker whistles for the kids-- ours loved them!!!! Thank you Cpt. for telling them not to blow them in the car!!!

Coupons for discount tickets are available online and we went on a bring a friend Friday where one child was free with a paying adult. Score!

Enjoy your trip to Stone Mountain!

1  Thank A_Roswell_Family