“Not Much Open”

Stone Mountain Carving
More attraction details
Owner description: A huge carving of three Confederate heroes, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis, on the face of the mountain.
North Carolina
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Not Much Open”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The day we visited, many things were closed getting ready for the Christmas season. Very nice museum with a nice orientation and history of the carving. Nice tram ride to the top but it is an additional cost. $10 for parking/admission is a little expensive for what was open. I would not want to visit in the middle of summer as I would guess that it would be packed with tourists. They compare themselves to Mt. Rushmore but that is quite a stretch. Worth a visit if you happen to be in the area but probably not worth a special trip.

Visited November 2013

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Stone Mountain Visit”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Loved the views from the skylift, and riding the train, we had fun watching the 3/4D movie Journey Back to the Future

Denver, Colorado
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 341 helpful votes
“Impressive But Not Exactly What I Expected!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I knew that this is a rock carving of impressive scale and a feat of engineering and it is. What I was not expecting is for it to be the tourist trap that it is. I had no idea there was going to be an amusement park at it's base. I was thinking the grounds in front of the carving would be a simple park with a lake, some hiking trails and maybe a few hundred people, not a few thousand. My mistake, obviously!

Regardless we did enjoy our visit. We took the gondola to the top and hiked back down to the bottom. FYI - The hike down did require appropriate footwear, took about 1-1.5 hours and is about 2 miles long. The view at the top of the granite monolith is impressive. No regrets and I recommend this stop to anyone whether you have kids or not. Hope this helps!

1 Thank Legamania
Chardon, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Bad day to visit”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Woefully no one on the phone warned us ahead of time that they were currently constructing in front of the museum and the carving. Also,that the tram might be closed due to windy conditions. We are from Ohio and were in the area so we made this side trip. The carving is wonderful but on this day and under these circumstances we were really disappointed.

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 218 helpful votes
“The carving is very cool”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The carving is of the Confederate generals on a giant rock essentially. It is a beautiful view and very cool. I wrote several other reviews about the park and the laser show but I guess this is reviewing just the actual carving. Good to teach your children about history and the most similar thing to Mount Rushmore on this side of the country. It is always free besides paying for parking to come see the carving.