“Stone Mountain Visit”

Stone Mountain Carving
More attraction details
Owner description: A huge carving of three Confederate heroes, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis, on the face of the mountain.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Loved the views from the skylift, and riding the train, we had fun watching the 3/4D movie Journey Back to the Future

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I knew that this is a rock carving of impressive scale and a feat of engineering and it is. What I was not expecting is for it to be the tourist trap that it is. I had no idea there was going to be an amusement park at it's base. I was thinking the grounds in front of the carving would be a simple park with a lake, some hiking trails and maybe a few hundred people, not a few thousand. My mistake, obviously!

Regardless we did enjoy our visit. We took the gondola to the top and hiked back down to the bottom. FYI - The hike down did require appropriate footwear, took about 1-1.5 hours and is about 2 miles long. The view at the top of the granite monolith is impressive. No regrets and I recommend this stop to anyone whether you have kids or not. Hope this helps!

1  Thank Legamania
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Woefully no one on the phone warned us ahead of time that they were currently constructing in front of the museum and the carving. Also,that the tram might be closed due to windy conditions. We are from Ohio and were in the area so we made this side trip. The carving is wonderful but on this day and under these circumstances we were really disappointed.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The carving is of the Confederate generals on a giant rock essentially. It is a beautiful view and very cool. I wrote several other reviews about the park and the laser show but I guess this is reviewing just the actual carving. Good to teach your children about history and the most similar thing to Mount Rushmore on this side of the country. It is always free besides paying for parking to come see the carving.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

It seems amazing to think there's a granite rock just outside Atlanta, almost the same size as Uluru (Ayer's Rock) with the world's largest bas-relief carved into it, a rock carving whose beginnings preceded Mount Rushmore, and yet before my visit I'd never even heard of it. Admittedly it seems a bit of a shame to take one of nature's greatest wonders, adorn it with three hollow-eyed heads of generals, and plonk a mini-theme park around the base of it. But it is definitely one of the more interesting things I've ever seen. Unfortunately I turned up hungry on a Thursday during off-peak season. All the cafes at the base were shut and I had to walk a mile up the mountain just to get a pretzel. Glad I did it though. Views were amazing. Make sure you watch the short documentaries in the information centre.