“Sqeaky beds!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Statesboro
Plains, Georgia
“Sqeaky beds!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed here several times when visiting GA Southern. While we have been pleased, this past weekend was not so hot. The staff is friendly but there is a sign at check-in that states if using a debit card then you will be charged twice and one charge will drop off in 14 days. We should have been alerted to this at time reservation was made. No problem, a quick trip across the parking lot to get cash and all was well. The room was musty smelling/stuffy and the A/C did not work. I understand it is February and had it been summer I would have complained but we turned A/C on high cool all night and room never cooled off. Only turned it on to get the stuffy feeling out of room. As for the beds, they both squeaked every time you moved which was annoying to say the least. The bathroom floor was not spotless. I think this will be our last time staying here.

• 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sudbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Spent 2 nights at the Comfort Inn in Statesboro while visiting GSU. The room was spacious and clean, the beds were extremely comfortable, the halls quiet, and the staff was very pleasant. Breakfast was OK with limited choices and coffee from a machine where you can also get hot water (not freshly brewed), but it was drinkable. The bathroom was nice, but could use a little updating of fixtures which were showing some wear. We were unable to obtain boarding passes for our flight out of Savannah because the computer was not working. We would definitely stay here again.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

There are no upscale hotels in Statesboro. Only average, run-of-the-mill hotels. We wanted to stay at the Marriott SpringHill Suites but it was full. And probably only marginally better. My impression of the Statesboro Comfort Inn is that they do enough not to tick anyone off, but there is nothing special or memorable about the property. We were in Statesboro for a Georgia Southern University Open House. For that reason, the hotel is very convenient to the campus.

The room was clean enough, as was the hotel. Being close to the coast, it had some "Florida rot" e.g. the towel rack was rusted (and bent) and along the edges of the shower, there was peeling paint and mold. The shower curtain rod had been replaced and whomever did it didn't really do a good job covering up where the old one was. The sink was stopped up and drained slowly. Shampoo was provided but no conditioner.

One particular surprise was the bed. It sat up higher than beds at most average hotels and was comfortable except for those small, squarish pillows that so many hotels are going to. I prefer a longer pillow. The heating/air system is one of those "Motel 6" in room units that are either always on or always off. I turned the heat on to mask the sounds coming from adjoining rooms and hallways, as the walls are paper thin. At about two in the morning, I awoke, sweating, and turned it completely off. At least the person in the next room who had the TV blaring late at night had turned it off. When traveling, I try to avoid hotels with this type of heating/air system. Since this is "as good as it gets" in Statesboro, they are probably all like this.

I reserved two rooms, one for my wife and I and one for our daughter. If I was to do it again, I'd probably only get just one for such a short, overnight stay. There appeared to be a small, pull-out couch in the room that would have sufficed for our daughter and the rooms are spacious enough. The room had a microwave and small refrigerator. And a flat screen TV. The wireless worked well and was included.

If our daughter decides to go to school at GSU, we'll probably stay in Savannah, about an hour away, instead of enduring "average." And speaking of average, the breakfast follows suit. Making the waffles, although they are eaten on styrofoam plates with plastic forks and knives, is about as good as it gets. The biscuit/egg/sausage thing was disgusting.

Again, if one's expectations are in check and you are looking for an average hotel with an average staff with average accommodations, this hotel is okay. Forgettable, but okay.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter. There are no good views.
    • 3 of 5 stars
ComfortInnSuitesGA, Webmaster at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 4, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m pleased that you had a generally good experience with us, but I’m very concerned that we didn’t live up to your standards or expectations. We strive to be well above average in everything we do. We take great pride in our hotel, and I hope that shows. We’re also always working to get better. I hope you will give us another chance and see that we’re doing what we can to improve and enhance the guest experience.

Conyers, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location is great for an Eagle game or to visit a friend or family member who lives in one of the many apartment complexes nearby. There is a Locos bar next door which is extremely convenient. I usually stay at a hotel in the Choice Hotel family, and this one ranks as about average. I have stayed here many times over the years. The prices fluctuate heavily based on any events occurring in and around the college. Currently, the rooms somehow feel older than the outside appearance of the hotel. Ours was comforatable for our one night. The water pressure was good -- which is always a plus. There is a Quality Inn near the old town area of Statesboro. It's older, but the pricing is much more in line with typical small-town hotel costs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The rooms were fine. The location is fine. However, I have stayed there numerous times and seem to have some sort of problem each time I visit. Most recently the problem was that there was no food left at 8:30 am. The lady would not fix more and said it would take too long. I complained at the front desk and was told they had a large group of guys who ate alot. Excuse me, but doesn't the job include determining at 8:15 that more food needs to be prepared? My rate included breakfast, and I got none. I left 3 messages with the manager with no returned call. The person at the front desk confirmed that the manager got the messages. It wasn't just me because a lot of people came in after I did. No one seemed to care.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m terribly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations because you didn’t get any of our free breakfast and experienced other problems. We take real pride in this hotel and believe that pride shows in everything we do. I’m disappointed that we could not satisfy you, and I hope you will try us again in the future. We’re always working to make the guest experience better than ever before.

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My home away from home for a week...
My room in the "old" building was clean and updated.
Room 203 had a very large flat panel telly,micro w/fridge as well as separate sitting area with a couch and desk.
The staff were friendly.
I have stayed in worse that cost more money.

Only negative I have is that the internet speeds are slow (50Kb/s) meh....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a hotel where when asked during booking if this was the location of a block of rooms reserved for a group we were told yes... When asking the same question at check-in, again we were told yes, the group was reserved and even told on which floors the group was located. The lie comes into play when the group in question was actually NOT booked at this hotel, rather across the highway at the very nice Spring hill Suites by Marriott for the same price. The Owner, Andy B., did nothing to resolve this issue. Two calls to corporate resulted in a full and complete refund due to the dishonesty. All that was required was an apology... Really! BTW, the room was nice... Not the place to stay for breakfast... Not good at all!

Room Tip: The Springhill by Marriott is just across the street and NICE!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christian G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comments. I apologize for the confusion, but I’m glad the matter was taken care of. We can’t always prevent problems from happening, but we can take swift and decisive action to correct issues that happen. I hope you will stay with us again in the future. I hope you never have any other problems here, but you can always depend on a quick and satisfactory resolution.