“Clean, Pleasant, Helpful Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Statesboro
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Clean, Pleasant, Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I am surprised to see all the negative reviews of this property. We found it to be clean, with comfortable beds, everything working and the staff was helpful. The only problem I ran into was that the key card I was given listed the time for the continental breakfast as 6-9:30 AM. I set my alarm for 9, got down to the lobby by 9:10 and the breakfast was gone. The sign in the lobby, unlike in my room, said breakfast was until 9. (And they were very fast in putting it away.) They really ought to change the information they give you at check in to reflect their actual hours. Otherwise, we had no problems.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
CROSS HILL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

I found long, kinky, black hairs in the sink upon entering the bathroom the first time. My husband is bald and i have short, blonde hair so it sure wasn't ours. The stucco on the bathroom ceiling was falling down in places. The tub was in desperate need of a good cleaning as was the remainder of the room. The beds were much less than comfortable. I understood the cleaning problem the next morning when we went downstairs to find the cleaning staff sitting in the breakfast area at 9:30 clearly not having started the days work. Breakfast was a sad joke. Nothing hot/warm to eat and very little cold or otherwise. A sign on the juice machine said it was broken. I could tell from the sign it had been hanging there for some time. I asked about juice (thinking surely that since the machine was broken they had made other accommodations for juice) only to be told there was none without even an apology. Fruit consisted of 2 bananas that had so many black spots they were only good for the trash can. The only redeeming quality at the hotel was the nice staff. However, that is not enough to get me to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeanneb1
Conyers, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stay at Choice hotels quite a bit and normally am satisfied and I have a basic expectation. When I see Inn & Suites I expect decent, a little better. This location is terrible. Uncomfortable beds, rooms are outdated. The satellite for the TV went out and never came back on. We called the front desk several times to complain and were told to wait about 10-15 minutes after each call, 30 minutes apart. Other recent reviews are accurate. We do not normally stay in Statesboro for football weekends because hotel rooms are not easy to find. Thought I lucked into a room being available for our visit. Would rather not stay in Statesboro next gameday than to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SEtraveler4
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

This has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. We were given our room key only to arrive at our room and find out it was not clean. We called front desk and they sent someone from housekeeping that used the excuse she ran out of cleaning solution. They gave us another room which appeared to be clean and we moved our things out of room 1 and put into room #2. After a long drive we decided to go to dinner and when we got back we were ready to go to bed for night. When we turned down the comforter and blanket the sheets were spotted. We were then moved to room number 3 and initally it appeared okay (we only checked the beds), but after moving our things for the third time we discovered the bathroom was nasty. It was so bad I had to throw towels down on the floor. The front desk gave a 10% discount for our trouble. I should have followed my instinct and left after the first time. We will never again stay at this hotel. I will sleep in my car first.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Wheezy45
Willard, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

We wanted to stay at the Marriott across the street and since it was full we went to the Comfort Suites. A very kind young man (AW) checked us in, and could not have been nicer when we needed some input on where to eat. When we returned from supper and decided to settle in and watch tv, we found bugs when we pulled the covers back. We immediately called the desk and AW was at our door immediately. He saw the bug crawling on the bed and said he could switch us rooms. He was very polite and apologized over and over. Also asked to help us move our things.
The next morning (after an awful nights sleep) my husband went to talk to the lady (Crystal) at the front desk. We purposely waited till there was no one in the lobby or at the desk, as we wanted to discuss the "Bugs." My husband said he was surprised we were not offered a discount for the inconvenience. She told us a request was put in for a "No charge." We thanked her and went on our way.
A few days later we noticed a charge on our credit card. We phoned and spoke with Crystal. She said the manager was not in, had no set hours(?) and she would leave a message for him. When he did finally call he said he could not give us a free room, but a discount for the inconvenience. I thanked him and said that is all we expected anyways. He said he would pull up our information and phone us back. As you can imagine we have not heard from him. I phoned and once again spoke with Crystal. Again, he was not in. She pulled up our account and said nothing had been done and she understood why we were upset with the run around we were getting. I told her to have him phone us and if we did not hear from him, then we would write a review and dispute the charge.
We were very kind to not mention bugs in front of anyone, explained we would not write any reviews and give them the benefit of the doubt.
The one time I spoke with the manager he reassured me it was not bedbugs.(?)
The rooms are old and outdated. The bathrooms in both the rooms we were in were dirty. We had to put a towel in the bathtub to step on because of how dirty it was. We did not want to step on it.
Breakfast was not good at all. Nothing what they told us would be on the buffet was there the next morning. No orange juice. Nothing hot. Had a toaster but no bread?????
I think the upper management of this franchise needs to look into the manager who is obviously never there and the job he is "not" doing. AW and Crystal should manage the place. So if the Marriott across the street is full....KEEP DRIVING or go down the road to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sunlover5
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

I was booked at another hotel for my 2 day stay in Statesboro by my employer. The day of travel was told of a switch to the Comfort Inn. I looked up the reviews and was starting to have thoughts of making a cancellation. Seen a review that said the hotel was 'hidden' behind a Chevron station. It is behind Chevron but far from hidden. The signs are huge and can be seen from all 4 directions at the intersection. Read the staff was rotten; i experienced the exact opposite. the young lady who checked me in had just gotten off shift, but stayed the extra few minutes to help out at the front and checked me right in with true hospitality. Read the rooms were bad; they have been refurbished it seems but they were clean and well taken care of. My hotel was paid for by a third party and the front desk handled it with true professionalism. Visited the pool area and it was well taken care of. Read wifi was terrible and I had a problem on my phone at first but it was just a matter of going onto the comfortinn homepage and accepting their guidelines first and then wifi was perfect on phone and computer. Nice experience

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mikeolden
Mount Vernon, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

The Internet was terrible there were no wash clothes in my room. When I ask for some they said they had ordered some and they hadn't got in yet. The price I paid for the room and the service I received where not even close. I wouldn't stay there again..

• Stayed February 2011