“Nice hotel at a great value”

Red Roof Inn Atlanta - Smyrna
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Smyrna
Springfield, Illinois
“Nice hotel at a great value”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Red Roof Inn when we attended Dragon Con 2010. All of the hotels near the convention were too expensive for our budget, but about 16 miles away was the Red Roof Inn at under $40 a night.

The room was clean, the staff very friendly, and the place felt safe.

It's conveniently located behind a Waffle House, and there are other fast food and conventional restaurants nearby.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Red Roof Hotel in Smyrna Goergia. I had an unexpected outcome, a wonderful experience. I traveled with my family for the 59th General conference of the SDA church. All the hotels were booked for the July 4th weekend, but I found a room at the Red Roof Inn. I was surprised of the excellent way we were treated. My family and I were not expecting such hospitality for the prices we paid for the weekend. We had excellent staffing who went out of their way to accommodate us. The room was very clean with more than enough towels. The hotel was quiet and very close to the stores. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and i will continue going to the Red Roof Hotel whenever I travel. Thank you so much for such a great experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Longs, SC
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I am currently staying at the Red Roof Inn North in Smyrna, GA on a work project. I arrived on May 23, 2010 and will be here until the middle of July. I have been very pleased with service, the room, and the staff. I have appreciated the kind and friendly service I have experienced at this motel. Forrest Castille, one of the men at the front desk, has been especially helpful and pleasant, and has helped me to feel welcomed.
I am enjoying my stay.
William Long

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Nanuet, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband and I always stay at Red Roof Inns because we love traveling with our dog and their hotels are very pet friendly. Every Red Roof Inn we have stayed at has been exceptionally friendly and helpful except this one. On a trip to Atlanta, which is 7 hours from our home, our car broke down and we had no idea when it would be fixed. We called the front desk to ask if we could have a late check out and they said absolutely not. We explained our predicament and still got no sympathy from them. Check out was at 12 and we HAD to be OUT at 12!!! Even before 12, the cleaning crew knocked on our door several times asking when we would be out. We were stressed enough not knowing when our car would be ready and had no where to take our dog and knew nobody in the area and they still were no help. If you're looking from unsympathetic, unfriendly people, stay there! If not, try somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Curitiba
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I've stayed a week before at red roof alexandria and I though this one will be the same, but this one doesn't have microwave or any other amenities that Alexandria has...but anyway it's really close to the target and some fast foods restaurants, The staff is ok, but the bed really need some improvement.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Murfreesboro, TN
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The room was inexpensive to be as close to downtown as it was....I would say 20 minutes. I had a non-smoking room but it still smelled like smoke. There are not any extras in the room like a coffee maker, an iron, a hair dryer or pen and paper. The front desk was very nice.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Stayed in one of their business king rooms, number 105 to be exact. Paid about $50 per night booking through the Red Roof web site.

If you're traveling by car and you've got a lot of stuff, the first floor rooms here are ideal because you can park just steps from the door and it's a snap to move everything from the car to the room. The second floor rooms present a greater challenge because there is no elevator.

This property has been around a long time, but the business king rooms have gotten a makeover. Some improvements are cosmetic: an accent wall opposite the door painted in a contrasting color; an oval mirror over the sink; new artwork; and an interesting ribbed surface on the bathroom floor in place of the old, slick, vinyl slab.

Some of the improvements are designed to increase guest comfort. The textiles on the bed have been upgraded, and the towels are slightly better than before. They've added a small refrigerator and even smaller microwave. The tube style TV is the same, but there are more channels to watch including Speed, Great American Country, ESPNs x 4, the Country Music Channel and a couple of HBOs. If you're traveling with kids (or you like Futurama) the Cartoon Network is also available.

In addition to the king sized bed, there is a small round table and a single armchair. The latter is not as comfortable as the overstuffed recliners Red Roof used to put in this type of room, but it's OK. There is a two drawer dresser with plenty of space on top for your suitcase. And next to the bed there's a nightstand (with upgraded clock radio) a swivel chair and a handy bi-level desk that's perfect for your laptop.

This isn't the fanciest lodging in the area, but the folks are Red Roof Inn are trying hard to deliver value. The business king room has all the usual features you'd expect for $50 a night, plus a few more like the refrigerator, microwave and the expanded cable TV lineup. The "all inclusive" rate includes wi-fi and unlimited long distance calls, which is rare at this price point. The grounds are clean and inviting and the location is super convenient to both I-75 and I-285. If for some reason you don't have a car, you can actually walk to a few fast food places, a couple of convenience stores, a Target and some nicer restaurants.

My only criticism concerns the air conditioner.

It's a relic that almost certainly dates back to when this place was first built decades ago. It may have been adequate to handle the Georgia heat back in the day, but as I sit here in June of 2009 it's losing the battle. Room 105 smells musty and damp, and even though I've had the machine running full blast all night the temperature is barely tolerable and the damp, musty odor persists.

Why they would upgrade the rooms and leave the original wheezing air conditioners in places baffles me. Granted, they'd have to pay for a new unit. But a new energy efficient air conditioner would probably pay for itself.

If the weather was cool or cold I would recommend this place without hesitation. But in the summer, not so much. If you're from Banff or Iceland the anemic air conditioning may be OK. But I suspect most travelers would prefer a few more BTUs.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank E31_Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smyrna
Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Cumberland Mall
Comfort Inn & Suites Smyrna
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Northwest at SunTrust Park
Days Inn Atlanta Marietta Galleria
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Atlanta / Marietta and Banquet Hall
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria

Been to Red Roof Inn Atlanta - Smyrna? Share your experiences!