“GREAT RIDE!!”
Review of Silver Comet Trail

Silver Comet Trail
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I made a weekend of this trail. We actually combined the Silver Comet Trail with the Chief Ladiga which is 94.5 miles. The Silver Comet Trail is in GA and is 61.2 miles and the Chief Ladiga trail is in AL and is 33 miles long. The both connect but were built at different times. The GA side is wider and a little nicer than the AL side. The GA side runs through several small towns and seems to be much more populated while the AL side runs through more remote areas and doesn't seem to be ridden as much. There are numerous sights with details concerning these trails, there's several trail heads, so you can ride for as far or as long as you'd like. We had our son home from college who came along and drove our vehicle for us in case we had an emergency and needed a quick pick up. We booked a couple of hotels and he would stay until check out and then proceed to the next hotel for check-in and wait on our call if needed. We had a place to shower at night, we went out to eat at good restaurants and had a great place to sleep and rest up for the next days ride! It worked out beautifully for us because we just wanted a nice long ride to enjoy leisurely, we're not avid road bikers, we actually ride mountain bikes leisurely, not on mountainous trails, we tried it once and I didn't like it, so we found rails to trails and I love them!!! I highly recommend you read up on the trails and GO FOR IT!!! This is a great place to go for your first long ride, I had never ridden more than 15 miles in one day, but was able to ride 94.5 in two days!!! My all time record!!

2  Thank Donna F

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is an oasis in the city - great place to go ride a few miles on your bike of a few hundred miles - people do both.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We previously rode this trail on the Alabama side...the landscape was more beautiful on the Alabama side and the traffic was much less. I was disappointed at the number of stops we had to make to cross traffic. Also, the number of joggers and other bikers was overwhelming on the early part of the trail...this thinned out aggressively the further we got into the trail. Also, the scenery was nicer the further we got and at one point we came across a wild turkey on the side of the trail. The trail is relatively flat with a few slight inclines and a couple of bridges and tunnels. There were two detours in the section we rode. The first detour was poorly marked and a little stressful.

The people we encountered were all very pleasant and the class of people using the trail really seem to take care of it...no litter or debris, all in all, a fabulous experience. We rode on a Sunday, so perhaps the other pedestrian and bike traffic is much less during the week. I am quite certain we hit the trail at a peek time. The trail is very cool as it is very well shaded.

1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Silver Comet Trail is a walking, running and biking paved path that was converted from a railroad track right of way. It spans over 100 miles and you can walk, run or bike on the paved path. There are several places avail to park your car and enjoy the path. Several section are in remote areas, so you will want to be on alert, but it's an excellant place to enjoy walking, running and biking.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Silver Comet Trail is a great place for casual walking and/or walking your dog but beware of bicycles and roller blades that don't give a warning! I have almost been run over numerous times by bikes and rollerbladers and have stopped taking my dog for that reason. He likes to stop and smell and it is pretty dangerous. The walk is shady and level--no major hills to conquer and there are benches for rest and restrooms are usually clean. As long as you are aware of your surroundings I highly recommend it!