“Good Place”

Old South Bar-B-Q
Ranked #14 of 216 Restaurants in Smyrna
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Had lunch today. Pulled pork sandwich and side of stew. Overall good but not great. Was disappointed in the stew. There are many varieties of stew and this is not my favorite. Sandwich was really good. I got the original sauce which was a little thick for me. This place is somewhat out of the way for me. If I'm in the area and want BBQ, definitely will return but won't drive out of the way. I want to try ribs next time. Really like atmosphere; this looks like the kind of place that would have great breakfasts but, alas they don't serve breakfast.

1  Thank Flyrod929

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Looking for the most delectable vintage of slow roasted ribs or sliced pork? Or just want to pig out on pig? From the Brunswick Stew to the tender slices of pork...Old South has captivated me with its aroma since 1972. I have travelled the country and sampled offerings from all the regional Meccas of BBQ and still return again and again to this simple restaurant in Smyrna, for the unbelievable sauce and the ample hugs from Joy! This family owned restaurant characterizes the best in traditional BBQ fare, fresh food...slow cooked goodness...and that sauce, I have never found it's equal across the country!!! PS...this is where my kids prefer to go on their birthdays...with picky eaters that is saying a lot! :)

1  Thank Attila S
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have driven past this place for a couple years and always mentioned that it smelled amazing and how we should eat there. We finally went today, and I don't think we will be going back. The chicken was really dry, my son's cheeseburger was burned, the portions were a little on the small side which I wouldn't have minded if it weren't that the prices were high for what you got. The waitresses seemed nice, but we didn't really get to talk with one for more than a minute because she was rushing everywhere. I was really hoping that we would like the food because I love southern BBQ style food, especially combined with that mom and pop hole in the wall feel, but sadly I was not impressed.

2  Thank docnewtonswife
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Why everyone raves about this place, I'll never figure out. Portions small, meat dry, slaw had no flavor, and sauce tasted burnt. Maybe I went on a bad day. Just never went back . Waitresses have great personalities and try to give good service. Maybe that's why they have regulars. Prefer Wallace BBQ in Austell.

1  Thank winifred9188
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a nice little quiet place to sit and enjoy some really good food. Good food, and staff even coming in just before closing time. We ask about what time they closed and she stated when the last customer leaves. Food was fresh and tasteful. Just be mindful it is a small place.

1  Thank Anyiah J