My honey and I went to Scalini's on a weeknight for dinner. The atmosphere was lovely, very intimate so we anticipated a good meal. It was not crowded and our server was a very nice young man who tried his best to serve us. We ordered pasta (I ordered the cheese ravioli and I think he ordered manicotti) with marinara sauce. The salad was family-style, and I noticed it had raw mushrooms on it. I am allergic to them, so I mentioned to the server that I was and asked if the food contained any mushrooms. I was told "no ma'am" and we picked around the salad so I could eat it safely. The rolls were swimming, no, DROWNING in garlic oily butter, and after sampling one we asked for another bowl minus the oily bath. The pasta came and after a few bites I noticed that my face had a few welts and my lips were slightly swollen. I attributed this to the possible exposure to the mushrooms in the salad, and ate most of my meal. I was not very impressed with it, the pasta was overcooked and the sauce was too chunky to be called "marinara". We paid the bill and left, and once in the car I noticed my face had MORE welts, so when we got home I called to ask if the sauce had mushrooms in it. I was told it was possible, but the recipe was a secret. I explained that I had allergies and needed to know, and the person was not very helpful. I took Benadryl as a precaution and we will NEVER go back there again. For the record, I am of Italian heritage and have eaten in dozens of Italian restaurants over the years, and this is the first time I have had this experience. The management should list the ingredients on the menu, or at least be willing to discuss it when a person's health depends on it. :-(
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.