“Not as good as I expected, not very helpful” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scalini's Italian Restaurant

Scalini's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 204 Restaurants in Smyrna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, GA
“Not as good as I expected, not very helpful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

My honey and I went to Scalini's on a weeknight for dinner. The atmosphere was lovely, very intimate so we anticipated a good meal. It was not crowded and our server was a very nice young man who tried his best to serve us. We ordered pasta (I ordered the cheese ravioli and I think he ordered manicotti) with marinara sauce. The salad was family-style, and I noticed it had raw mushrooms on it. I am allergic to them, so I mentioned to the server that I was and asked if the food contained any mushrooms. I was told "no ma'am" and we picked around the salad so I could eat it safely. The rolls were swimming, no, DROWNING in garlic oily butter, and after sampling one we asked for another bowl minus the oily bath. The pasta came and after a few bites I noticed that my face had a few welts and my lips were slightly swollen. I attributed this to the possible exposure to the mushrooms in the salad, and ate most of my meal. I was not very impressed with it, the pasta was overcooked and the sauce was too chunky to be called "marinara". We paid the bill and left, and once in the car I noticed my face had MORE welts, so when we got home I called to ask if the sauce had mushrooms in it. I was told it was possible, but the recipe was a secret. I explained that I had allergies and needed to know, and the person was not very helpful. I took Benadryl as a precaution and we will NEVER go back there again. For the record, I am of Italian heritage and have eaten in dozens of Italian restaurants over the years, and this is the first time I have had this experience. The management should list the ingredients on the menu, or at least be willing to discuss it when a person's health depends on it. :-(

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Debbie M

“Worth the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Year after year the place remains one the best Italian restaurants in the Atlanta area. We went with another couple and there was not a single complaint from anyone. (Although, ask for a big spoon to twirl the spaghetti with) Grand & warm atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank R0sebud3
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent service, great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

We were looking for a nicer place to eat while on a road trip home from FL to Cincinnati, and I saw this place in our AAA Tour Book. We had no idea what to expect, but since my son (aged five) and I were both celebrating our birthdays, Italian food sounded good. The food was good (but avoid the chicken and sausage with peppers and penne if you don't like spicy stuff). Our service was excellent. They even came and sang happy birthday to my son which was fabulous. The homemade spumoni ice cream is great! We had the chicken with sausage and peppers, lasagna (very good), spaghetti (pretty good) and ravioli (must be good--my almost seven year old didn't share!). This place appears like it might not be kid friendly but it really is--they have kids menus and cups for kids, plus menus to color on. Overall, I was pleased with our birthday dinner.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“A fine Italian restaurant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Went on fathers day dinner. Was welcomed with a nice greeting. Food was really good. After a long time had a good Italian food. I would say 1 dinner dish is enough for 2. They serve salad and garlic bread( real yummy ones) with your order. Which is more than enough for 2. A must eat in Smyrna.

1 Thank Satheesr
Smyrna, Georgia
“Y”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

The veal parm is great, the portions seems to have been reduced, which is a problem in many of the restaurants these days.

Visited March 2012