“Heaven on Earth”

The Cloister at Sea Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My husband and I visit Sea Island every year, as our family has a house on the island. We have never stayed at the Cloister (we would love to), but we always utilize the hotel and beach club while in town.

The Cloister is a stunning hotel. As soon as you walk in the door, you feel as though you've stepped back in time. The staff is wonderful and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. One of our favorite activities at the hotel is Bingo, which is played every Tuesday and Thursday night. Guests are required to dress up - men must wear coats and no flip flops for ladies. It makes for a fabulous evening out!

The Beach Club is top notch! There are several different pools, including one for adults only. It is really easy to relax completely!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Cloister at Sea Island for our anniversary. It is a grand resort. The hotel suite was the nicest I have ever been in with lavish furnishings as well as a comfortable bed. We had a separate living room and bedroom; a powder room and a large marble bathroom as well as a separate dressing area. It is across the road from a quiet beach and there are options for lunch and dinner. We enjoyed the spa. There were several weddings the weekend we were there but we never felt in the way or that our service suffered. They do an amazing job making you feel taken care of without being intrusive. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed for a few nights at the Cloister river view room in my last trimestser of pregnancy as a relaxing getaway. My jaw about hit the floor when we drove up and walked in. This place, and the grounds, are absolutely gorgeous!! (And we have traveled around the world and stayed at some really nice places.) The room was huge and I loved the layout of the bathroom with his and hers sinks and a wall-mounted TV in there. The rain shower was great also.

We just went to the pool and beach during the afternoons to rest. We didn't do much else here and we strictly wanted to rest and be pampered in a nice hotel. The Cloister pretty much succeeded! I thought it was a little bit overpriced (room and breakfast), still, and that is why the 4 star rating. Also the pool attendants could have come around a little more often.. but other than that, the pool area was clean, gorgeously landscaped, and large, and had great little shops by it, including an ice-cream parlor and a candy shop which seemed to be a hit with all the small children there.

We didn't eat dinner at the Cloister as it was, again, over-priced hotel food, but St. Simons island is just 4 or so miles south, and is so easy to drive there and sample some of their restaurants. We actually loved one (Crabdaddy's) so much that we went two nights in a row (don't miss their bread pudding... my husband still dreams about it!). There is a bar right across the street from Crabdaddy's called Saltwater Cowboy that had live music outside on the patio the nights we were there (which were Thursday and Friday nights). It was a laid-back little place that looked busy with preppy college kids and men who'd probably spent the day on the golf course.

The atmosphere of the whole place was a bit country-club-ish, but the staff were very nice and helpful. Overall a relaxing stay and I would love to be able to return some day.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

What an amazing place to spend our thirtieth anniversary! The room was outstanding; as was the staff. No detail was left un-done. The golf was great as was the tennis. The Oak room food was spectacular! All I can say is I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Our family is very large.... there are 9 children (with #10 on the way!) When we got there our first impression was WOW the landscaping was beautiful and the buildings had a modern/southern style that was very appealing. The first thing an employee did was greet us and then offer to carry our bags. Once checked in we were taken by golf cart to our suite (an ocean view villa) they gave us as many room keys as we needed and told us to call if we needed ANYTHING. Our suite was oustanding, the room was immaculately clean. All the appliances worked perfectly without a problem. It was about a ten minute walk to the beach club which was totally fine because the view was absoulutely beautiful. We are from Alaska and do a lot of hiking so it was easy. At the beach club we checked in and the woman gave every one of us a pass that could be used anywhere in the resort to buy things. Those were GREAT the kids could go and buy anything tthey need like an ice cream or some goggles without me having to search my wallet for cash. The pools were amazing and very kid-friendly there was also an adult pool which was great and relaxing. The beach was awesome too the beach workers brought umbrellas and chairs wherever we needed them without any rudeness or hesitation. There was a kid's camp that my kids LOVED and also a game room. The dining was perfect and delicious...i reccomend the breakfast buffet. It was a bit pricy, but worth it. Anyways going back this summer and everbody is excited!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank jack60880
Reviewed April 24, 2010

After reading a post on here comparing these two properties, I was wondering what my evaluation would be after similarly staying at both back to back. I can whole heartedly agree with the earlier poster that the Inn at Palmetto Bluff is a vastly superior experience to The Cloisters. The Cloister staff, especially the staff in the Georgia Room, was pretentious, condescending, and made us feel like we were putting them out. And this was when the dining room was only about 25% full on an April weekend. You would think if business is that bad, you'd try to treat the few that do show up with a little appreciation.

We actually stayed at The Lodge and had problems with room service there. Tried to order a pot of coffee in the morning, was told by the concierge that no one was available to take the order, but that someone would be calling back. Never got that return call. And, again, I stress that this place was easily half empty in late April, their high season.

By contrast, the staff at the Inn at PB couldn't have been more discreet and responsive. The food in their dining room was very good, although the menu was a little limited. I hope it's a menu that changes fairly frequently bacause one could get tired of it after a few days. And not a hint of snotty-ness. The Cloisters is trying way too hard to prove their superiority to their guests while the Inn at PB has the quiet confidence of knowing what they have and who they are and they don't have to prove a thing to anybody because they can deliver the goods every time. Can't wait to return to the Inn and PB and don't care to ever set eyes on the Cloisters again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank kaidee
Reviewed April 24, 2010

My husband and I - and three other couples, stayed at the Cloisters April 15-18 as part of the Platimun Golf Package. Our rooms were at the Beach Club and were beautiful and well appointed. We had never visited before but travel often to better resorts where our husbands, who are avid golfers, can play - and they are serious, 36 holes a day golfers (this is their break - they are physicians, a corporate vp, and my husband is a surgeon). The grounds are beautiful. The courses the boys played were magnificent and worthy of PGA tours. The fitness center was lovely - well appointed and there are folks there for any class or tip a person might need. As I said the golf was terrific, however -- the boys were promised a welcome golf gift as part of their package and it never materialized. They were promised a daily forecaddie and that, too, never materialized and they felt bullied into accepting that it wouldn't be available to them. My husband's golf glove and towel, which were attached to his bag, went missing after the first day and there was no apology and no effort made to locate them. The following day another of our party noticed his towel was missing as well and again, no apology and no effort made to recitify the situation. Service in the restaurants (Colt & Alison, the Oak Room and Big George's) was SLOW. The required 20% gratuity which is automatically added to your bill -- whether you serve yourself at the buffet or have full sit down service - was a bit grating to us. We are generous tippers but prefer to use our discretion. Often we leave 25% or more but when we are told what to do we stop right there. My husband had a glass of orange juice one morning prior to golf and couldn't believe the added gratuity. (this was not sit down service either -- simply a grab and go) Housekeeping was very pleasant, but I was dismayed to find the previous room's occupant's undergarments in a dresser drawer -- I gave the items to the maid who was apologetic but it was sloppy. Several in our party expressed have our concern to the staff, but have heard nothing from them - a bit disappointing. Bar service around the pool was lackluster - the service person quickly walked around and unless you were looking for her and could wave her down you were on your own. The pools, though, are beautiful. Overall this is a beautiful resort but they need to brush up a bit. I think next time we'll head to Reynold's Plantation, which ironically was where we were first considering when making these plans -- but I was the one who wanted to visit this property and won out! Wish it had turned out a bit better.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!