“Such a beautiful and perfect place!”

The Cloister at Sea Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Charlotte
“Such a beautiful and perfect place!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Unfortunately, we only had one night to spend on our way back up from Florida, so we did not enough time to do all the things we would have loved to do. Next time we will stay longer and bring the family! What a beautiful place, the grounds are just immaculate, everything just "flows"! We loved all the gorgeous clay pots everywhere and when we got home I found out where I can purchase them. Our room was very large and our bathroom had really nice and big his & her areas, the balcony was large too. The spa is gorgeous, although the staff member at the desk, talking into his little mike as if he is part of the secret service, was a bit much. Every time we moved, he would talk into his mike, saying: "Mr or Mrs X is coming into the area"! Food is good but can't wait to try different options next time. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RRiess, General Manager at The Cloister at Sea Island, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for being a recent guest at Sea Island. I appreciate you taking the time to write regarding your experience at our resort and am pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for your compliment on our flower pots. I am happy to hear you are enjoying yours as well. We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer visit with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely without a doubt the best place we have ever stayed in.... We were cocooned in utter luxury from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. The rooms, buildings and architecture is just outstanding and impeccably well kept... Little golf carts ferrying guests from their rooms to the beach club or restaurant just add to the ambiance. There is something for everyone here- causal dining in the beach club to more sophisticated dining in the lodge. Our favorite was the Italian restaurant - Tavola... Sipping a cocktail watching the sunset over the marshes- I never wanted to leave.

We stayed in the ocean villa for 3 nights and a suite in the beach club for 2. There had been some mix up with our reservation and the management were ever so gracious.

There is no reason to put on a gram here... The fitness center is state of the art and the spa an oasis of tranquility.

We left with wonderful memories and know we will be back for more. Thank you !

• Stayed June 2013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Cloister was a wonderful experience. The grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are beautiful, the food superb.

However, the Staff is The Bomb!! They are a complete representation of Southern Charm with their outstanding manners and graciousness including the landscaping crew even if they are hanging from a tree or doing fresh planting.

Every encounter was delightful. Not only are they overflowing with graciousness, they entertain you while they serve.

Breakfast in the dining room was a party with Ms. Joanne and The Staff.

There were so many people serving at dinner with such savoir faire it made me almost dizzy.

P.S. The beds are luxurious. Sleeping on a cloud cannot come close.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground level and faced the dock/pier. There was no noise. Beautiful room. Very...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I have been here twice to enjoy the McGladrey Golf Classic and I am hopeful we can make it again this year. The grounds are beautiful and encourage me to keep up my running schedule in spite of the humidity. The staff, though sometime sparse, are very helpful and pleasant. I feel as though they are happy to have me there. The fitness center is well equipped including fitness instructors. The indoor pool is a little too warm for a workout swim. The boutiques offer a variety of items whether it is something you forgot to bring or something you just cannot live without. The adult pool is quiet and inviting. Walking on the beach was quiet and peaceful. We love this resort and plan to visit often.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
East TN
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a week at the Cloister, and I honestly cannot imagine a better vacation. There was stellar service all around with especIally good dinner service in the Georgian room. The whole resort has a great food and wine program too. Wines offered by the glass were often Sea Island branded from known vintners, and Sea Island branding proved to be a mark of quality. I loved the scallops at Southern Tide, halibut and risotto at Tavola, and tasting menu in the Georgian room. The bartender at the Georgian room served up excellent drinks while the Sommelier chose beautiful pairings for the tasting meal.

My hotel rooms were large and beautifully appointed. Kids camp was terrific for parents needing a break. My family had such a good time that we extended our stay.

This is a perfect place for families too. I hope they keep their game up because right now, Sea Island is tops. Sure there is a price for all of this. If you can afford it, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank CORT71
RRiess, General Manager at The Cloister at Sea Island, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for being a recent guest at the Cloister. I truly appreciate your warm compliments regarding your dining experiences and look forward to sharing your praise and compliments to our Chefs and Staff. I hope to welcome you and your family back soon!
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 31, 2013

After a nine-year break, we recently vacationed at The Cloister. I was first introduced to Sea Island about 25 years ago by my wife, as she had visited many times with her parents, and then later as member of Junior Staff. We honeymooned at The Cloister, and had introduced both of our children to the treasure on the Georgia coast. After the complete makeover of the property, we had personal reservations that this special destination might have changed ... might have lost something in the redo ... that it would be very different.

And yes, it is different. But it is wonderful. The main hotel now backs up to the river & the marsh, and the beach club seems to have almost flipped in terms of the pool locations. If you have not been to experience the new construction, then it will take some time to absorb all that has changed. And it's probably not fair to compare the old vs. the new. But with that said, our room was fabulous ... well-appointed and comfortable. We had a nature-view two queen suite with a separate sitting area. Our specific room had a wonderful private courtyard with a private access to the pool.

And the charm of the staff is what makes this place so special. "Yes ma'am" and "Yes sir" are exchanged equally and appropriately between guests and staff alike ... as it should be in the South and common courtesies are extended between people regardless of socio-economic class.

The dining is very good, although we did feel that there is room for additional casual dining on the main property. The beach restaurant menu could have been more extensive, and incorporated more coastal flair in my opinion ... was not as completely "southern" as it's name would imply.

The front desk seemed slightly out-of-sync upon check-in, but otherwise everyone was in-step as you would expect at a five-star resort. And while some things have changed ... familiar faces such as Houston, George, Sebrina and others provide that warm feeling of renewing old friendships that bridge wonderful memories with more recent experiences.

We hope to return ... and soon ... much sooner than another nine-year break ... everyone had a wonderful time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gafan
Thank you for being a loyal guest at Sea Island. I sincerely appreciate your compliments regarding our resort. We strive to offer our guests gracious hospitality and I am delighted to know your family experienced it firsthand. Please contact me directly if I may be of any assistance.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked 8 days at one of the so-called "Sea Island Cottages" for the celebration of my husband's 75th birthday with his family. I say "so called" because the house was five bedrooms and five and a half baths, with a small, protected pool, and fabulous views of the river that borders the resort on the west side. It was PERFECT for a family gathering - lots of privacy that also allowed us to prepare most meals for a family that included two small toddlers - but also, afforded us access to all of The Cloister's amenities, including the Beach Club.

Services at the hotel and restaurants is excellent, and there is plenty to do for all age groups. We took advantage of the fabulous weather (the week before Memorial Day) and went to the Beach Club every morning. There are three pools - one for adults, one for families, and one for children - and the beach set-up and amenities are fantastic. Full service, including very comfortable lounge chairs and umbrellas, and staff who will bring food and beverages at your whim.

We tried three restaurants, and interestingly, the best food was at the Oak Room Bar - the most casual. The shrimp and grits was "to die for". We celebrated the birthday at Colt and Allison, where the service was five-star. The steaks there (their specialty) were good, but not great, especially for the price. We went to Tavola twice - the first time, the food was excellent, the second time - less so.

We had two slightly negative experiences during our stay. The first at our first dinner at Tavola, when we were seated at the worst table in the room, even though the place was about half full. They did move us when I complained, but when I spoke with the maitre d' as we were leaving, the woman who orginally seated us said, "Well, someone has to sit at that table". Hmmm.

The second involved the Beach Club. Believe it or not, the resort decided to begin construction on a water slide for the family pool - and jackhammers were fast and furiously at work, making many of the guests VERY unhappy. When I spoke with the manager, he sympathized and passed my complaint (and apparently those of others) along to upper management. I did receive a call from the director of operations later that afternoon, who profusely apologized and said that the decision to do the work that week was "a mistake" and that it was being stopped immediately.

Seriously...why wouldn't they have done the project in January or February?

On the whole, though, I would highly recommend The Cloister. However, you must be mindful about the time of year for a visit. Probably April and May would be best. Too cold for swimming earlier in the year, too bloody hot in June-August, and too much of a hurricane chance in the Fall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elena G
RRiess, General Manager at The Cloister at Sea Island, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for being recent guests at Sea Island and for submitting feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my apology for your disappointment with your dining experience at Tavola. We have updated the majority of our restaurants due to feedback from our guests and we welcome your comments which have been shared with our culinary leadership team. I also want to apologize regarding the construction at the Beach Club. The timeliness of the construction did interfere with our guests’ experiences, and for that I am truly sorry. We did cease construction immediately. We are proud of our rich history and are constantly striving to improve. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts and opinions. We hope to welcome you back to Sea Island soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sea Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!