I had not been back to the Cloisters in many years and this visit was like a warm bath, even though the weather was not as warm as we had hoped! We visited with a family of 10 and 3 generations. I cannot comment on the hotel accommodations as we belong to a membership organization called Exclusive Resorts and stayed in one of their spectacular 4 BR homes that is immediately adjacent to the Cloisters property (literally a 1 minute walk).
We ranged in age from 3 - 68 and there were SO many wonderful activities for our family that it was impossible to do them all -- but we tried! We had 4 little boys with us, ages 3-9, and they loved it all, from golf to "shooting school" (I think this was the favorite) to a fishing expedition, to shuffleboard, tennis, bikeriding, jigging at the plantation dinner, the children's dance party, to the pool, to the beach where we flew kites - it's hard to remember all the activities. There is a "camp" for children which we did one day and they loved that too. Bingo night was a family event; you have to dress up and it is A TRIP. Hilarious, fun and wonderful even if you don't win.
The staff was exceptionally attentive and helpful and the hotel itself is spectacularly beautiful - not in a new mega-mansion kind of way, but in a very organic, "isn't this perfect for this site" kind of way. It has a large capacity, including a convention center, but gives the feel of a small boutique hotel.
With little children, we didn't avail ourselves often of the hotel restaurants, but the ones we tried were great (River Bar and casual cafeteria-style for families on the beach) and I understand the Georgian Room is over the top. Next trip.
It IS expensive. Everything is ala carte, so almost all activities have a cost to them - but it is not unreasonably expensive.
In summation, I recommend it highly as a destination for families of all ages - even the teenagers looked happy!
It is in the south, so dressing up is in order for some of the events. But our little guys felt important!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resort that offers golf lessons plus a variety of other activities such as kayaking, horseback riding, sailing and swimming. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Cloister at Sea Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cloister At Sea Island Hotel Sea Island
- Cloister Resort Sea Island
- Cloister Sea Island
- The Cloister At Sea Island Georgia