This is not your grandfather's Cloister any more! I spent Christmas at The Cloister with my sister and her husband. This was my second trip to the resort. The first one occurred many years ago before it was turned back into a 5 start resort and I would not have returned based on that experience. However, I had heard wonderful things about the place in recent years and decided to give it another go. We could not have had a better time. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite at The Beach Club that was exceptional. The staff was very accommodating and the food in the 3 restaurants we visited (Southern Tide, River Bar and the Georgian Room) was superb. The entire resort was beautifully decorated for the season. And the spa was first-rate.
While the property appears to be spread out, it is an easy walk between the Beach Club, the Spa and the main Cloister building. That said, you can always ask for a shuttle to cart you from place to place. However, during a busy season such as Christmas, the wait could be more than you bargained for, so walking back and forth was really the answer for us.
If you are not a golfer (I am but sis and her hubby are not) and it's not beach-sitting weather (which it was not), there is not a whole lot to do. (Meaning that 5 days was plenty of time to spend there.) However, the little town just before you get to the entrance to the resort has some very good restaurants and shopping and a trip down to the beach town on St. Simon's (where the lighthouse is) is a fun thing to do. There is also a movie theatre nearby. We saw Lincoln - probably the best movie I have ever seen!
The one caveat here, which is a double-edged sword depending upon your inclination, is that it is a family-friendly resort. There were more children there than we had anticipated. However, the resort had scheduled numerous activities for kids and because of the size of the resort, we did not feel "overrun" with the little tykes.
Finally, this resort is not for the faint-of-pocketbook. It's pretty expensive but we felt we received good value for our money, which is all you can really ask for. All in all, it was a great experience and I highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resort that offers golf lessons plus a variety of other activities such as kayaking, horseback riding, sailing and swimming. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Hotwire, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your The Cloister at Sea Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cloister At Sea Island Hotel Sea Island
- Cloister Resort Sea Island
- Cloister Sea Island
- The Cloister At Sea Island Georgia