“Absolutely stunning”

The Cloister at Sea Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Interestingly enough, I've wanted to go to the Cloister in the mid 1980's after reading Anne Rivers Siddens's book, "Downtown". The main character was from Savannah and moved to Atlanta in the 1960's. She fell in love with the young "blue blood" whose family summered at the Cloister. Obviously, there was a twist in the ending but needless to say, I was enthralled with visiting Sea Island after falling in love with Ms. Siddens and the south. Well..it took almost 30 years but I finally made it in time to celebrate my 49th birthday. I understand the former hotel was razed in the mid 2000's but the new hotel still has the integrity of a 1920's Spanish Mediterranean hotel. Coming from California and now recently settled into South Carolina, I plan on coming back to this beautiful resort year after year.

Room Tip: If you love beautiful decor, I suggest staying in the main hotel and not the Beach Club. It was stu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I am a little disappointed this is only a 5 star resort. It sure seemed like a 10 star resort! The folks at Sea Island pay attention to every little detail.

At first glance the prices seem high, but the reality is the hotel and staff go out of their way to accommodate all aspects of the trip. While I dont normally stay in a place such as this, I was truly overwhelmed at the level of service and attention I received.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I visited The Cloister at Sea Island to rest after a recent family wedding. It was wonderful. He played both the Seaside and the Plantation courses and loved both of them. The food was excellent; our favorite restaurant was Colt & Allison at The Lodge. I spent a day at the Spa, which was one of the best I have ever visited. Try the "Botanical Grommage" treatment and massage...perfect! The rooms are large and completely appointed with soft, good quality linens and towels. The staff is excellent; very accommodating and helpful with suggestions of things to do and places to eat, both on and off property.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am at least a 6th or 7th generation Georgian, and I spent my honeymoon here before the renovations of the 2000's, so I admit to some bias, but The Cloister is simply the best. I have had the pleasure of experiencing many luxury resorts in th Western Hemisphere and many Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott properties and can still say none of them have equaled the service, quality and experience offered at The Cloister, much less the history. The Cloister, the Beach Club and The Lodge are our standby favorite places. We just celebrated our 15th anniversary there. The Colt & Alison at the Lodge is our favorite restaurant there and the Beach Club bar at Southern Tide can't be beat for an afternoon of watching college football. The views of salt marshes sooth our souls each visit and remind us of young love, new lives beginning, and looking forward to the future at a backdrop representative of our deep Georgia roots. Sea Island is heaven on earth.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just returned from a 2 night stay at The Cloister with my husband. Words cannot describe how perfectly wonderful our stay was at this property that "took our breath away". The rooms were stunning with great views and ambience. The staff was friendly and helpful. You must visit The Georgian Room for a dining experience you will not forget. Also, visit The River Bar for a wonderful lunch with great water views.

The Cloister is a luxury travel experience filled with wonderful southern charm that is perfect for couples or a family.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank CarolinaGirls50
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Living in Atlanta I had heard about The Cloister for years...I'm just sorry it took me so long to finally visit. The entire resort is gorgeous. Everywhere you look are beautiful views, both in and outside of the hotel. My suite was enormous and very well appointed, especially the bathroom.

The food at the various restaurants was most impressive. From Italian to traditional American cuisine, each meal was better than the last. And I highly recommend breakfast in the Georgian Room...what a way to start the day!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Seah873
Reviewed November 5, 2012

had the opportunity to spend three glorious nights in October at this resort. Attention to detail, cleanliness and friendly efficient staff all made for a perfect stay. Beautiful grounds for strolling. Complimentary afternoon tea in the bird room. Stroll around and visit the on property chapel.

Room Tip: Ask for intercoastal view at main lodge and oceanfront in other sections
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons
Best Western Plus St. Simons
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Inn at Sea Island
The Inn at Sea Island
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!