“We come every year and love it”

Sylvan Valley Lodge
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

We come to the Lodge every year for a family reunion. We rent out the entire lodge, and enjoy the beautiful scenery as well as all the inn offers. I have also attended a wedding here. Breakfast is always fantastic and cooked to order. I have also attended the beer and wine tastings. The pairings are always amazing. I am always sad to go. The innkeepers are great at pointing out local sites and history. I climbed the Ruby falls (sorry I can't remember the whole name) and it was amazing. For me, close enought to cute soap boutiques and fudge (of course)!

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I take a trip to Helen each year, and since '07 when I stayed at Sylvan Valley, I won't stay anywhere else. I love the place and recommend it to my friends up from Atlanta. The proprietors are friendly, helpful, and know the local GA wine scene as well as anyone. The rooms are well-appointed and a cut above the rest in the area.

Room Tip: Each room has it's own character. Rooms 11, 14 and 17 are my favorites.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark F
Reviewed May 25, 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend here and absolutely loved it! The location was EXCELLENT for us because we didn't want to be in town, yet it was a convenient short drive if we wanted to go. The room was very quaint and charming, exactly what my husband and I like. No cookie cutter hotel room here. Very clean, staff extremely helpful and friendly - just an all around relaxing getaway. Will DEFINITELY go back :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Muthz555
Reviewed May 25, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Sylvan Vally Lodge with our daughters (ages 1 and 3) and had a great weekend! We stayed in one of the cabins and it was perfectly sized for our needs. Had a mini-fridge and microwave, which made it very easy for between-meal snacks and early breakfasts for the girls. Our cabin was decorated with bears and the girls spent all weekend growling at them. Lots of room on the property for them to stretch their legs as well as some fish to feed. The sourdough toast with breakfast is a favorite of mine and the girls loved their special smiley-face pancakes.

Our hosts were very welcoming, like they were opening their home to us. This is probably our 8th visit in 6 years and we will continue to come back again and again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank scottishdncr
Reviewed May 22, 2012

will post pics soon but in a nutshell, we paid half price and still paid $300 for 2 nights stay. very disappointing. rooms were more like a motel than a premium room that we were told. cheap mismatched fixtures that look like bought at dollar store, torn draperies, shower head coming off wall, cracked old bathroom tiles, ac that just shuts off, mirrors that are falling apart, filthy stained carpets, lush gardens were not lush as much as overgrown and unkempt with weeds, cheap plastic chairs on our deck overlooking the parking lot...what a joke. stay away!

• Stayed: May 2012
5  Thank dmtash
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband told me that i have to view this place like I would look at staying at someone's house....not like a hotel.....so I have done that and well here are some of my thoughts....

Today is our last day here and well our stay was nice and simple. The proprietors are friendly, but they do not provide anything a little extra...I duuno....say coffee throughout the evening (we are in the middle of nowhere and the closest coffee shop is 15 min away...there is nowhere to grab a small snack)....

The decor is a bit of a mix of 1990's carpet gone awry, Victorian, and country. The room is fairly clean....I guess i would say clean enough if that makes sense.

The exterior needs some work...in my opinion they should begin with the interior first.

All in all this isn't a bad place. The location served as a nice point to visit the smoky mtns and return for the night. I guess the stay would have been a bit better if the proprietors paid more attention to the little details. I say drop about $10,000 to $15,000 into this place and they would have a great lodge.

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank sbkuru
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We have stayed here probably about 10 times over the past 20 years. This Wine Highway Weekend we stayed at Bernies which has horrible wishing we stayed here. We love Sylvan Valley Lodge and friends stayed her this weekend and were happy with it. Spring Wine Highway weekend we stayed here and it was great. At one point we stayed here thinking we were staying somewhere new we were disappointed it wasn't something new because they changed the name... but happy with the rooms, the comfort etc. The cabins used to be uncomfortable but they are very comfortable the owners are very welcoming. The wine pairing dinner was great if you don't want to be disappointed stay here its great.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 9 in Sautee Nacoochee
Barefoot Hills
Barefoot Hills
#4 of 8 in Dahlonega

Been to Sylvan Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!