Hotels.com
Priceline
ZenHotels.com
Trip.com
Travelocity
All reviews lake brienz giessbach falls third floor stunning views amazing place breakfast buffet old style enjoy the view half board steam train historic hotel main course hiking trails forest view bygone era pool table dining experience
Selected filters
Reviewed July 4, 2019

Our weekend stay at the Grandhotel Giessbach was one of the best experiences of my life. We originally saw the hotel the previous year while cruising down Lake Brienz. It was so fascinating set up high on the mountain that we made a reservation before we got off the boat. As the hotel is quite a landmark in the area, making a reservation as early as possible was a wise thing to do.
The setting is so lovely and the historic funicular that you take to scale the mountain is so much fun and adds another special touch to staying at the hotel. The grounds are pristinely kept, and the beautiful Swiss architecture kept us in a trance.
Our suite ( Horace Eduard) in one of the towers, had an awe inspiring view of the lake, mountains, and the Cascades waterfall. Three waterfalls that join into one, that you can hike, with bridges that cross over it and enables you to walk behind. The spray from the falls is so refreshing. We stayed this year during one of the hottest weekends. We were concerned about the lack of air conditioning, but it was a needless. The weather on the mountain had a cool breeze flowing in and out of the triple windows of our suite. The breeze and falls, were like natural air conditioning. So healthy!
The suite's bathroom was bigger than some of the other rooms observed. The bedding, decorations were not only beautiful but comfortable.
The third floor where our suite was located had a 24/7 coffee and tea bar available, as well as a charming lobby bar, with a gentleman playing piano from breakfast on into the evening.
We made dinner reservations 48 hours in advance as suggested on the website, for the Cascades room. The view of the waterfalls during dinner was so lovely. The food was delicious and reasonable for a four coarse meal. There were multiple choices of starters, (warm and cold) mains, and desserts. Champagne breakfast was included in our room rate daily. The Breakfast buffet had everything anyone could want. Everything beautifully fresh and again with a view of the falls outside this time on the terrace. Fresh fruit smoothies were served to you at your table to compliment the incredible breakfast.
While, the location, beautiful suite, delicious food were all wonderful, I would have to say the service was even more superb. I have never been treated so kindly. We were asked multiple times daily, if we were satisfied with our meals, room, etc. all staff went out of their way to attend to our questions and needs. The manager also stopped by each table to make you feel welcome and gave information about what to see, history of the hotel, and make sure we were aware of the free funicular, lake transportation, and open air folk museum that was also available to us during our stay.
I can't thank the staff at the Grandhotel Giessbach for giving us a dream weekend and experience I will always remember.

Room tip: A room with a lake and waterfall view is preferred
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2019

We thought we'd be lucky to get a table, but we managed one on the terrace and enjoyed the spectacular views both over the lake and up the waterfall. The service was a little slow, but they were incredibly busy and the food was excellent. We had a quick peek in the entrance hall and would have liked to have stayed here as it was such a special place.
Next time we will.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2019

We (my brother, 2 friends of me and I) would like to drink a coffee und eat a cookie on the terrace of the hotel.
First of all we would like to ask a water for our 2 dogs, but than the waitress pointed to an almost empty bowl under another table, and said, there is some. There was about 1 cm water in the bowl, and that was anyway the rest from earlier. We said it her, and then she brought some fresh water to the dogs, but not with pleasure.
She handled the dogs as some "disturbing things", although the made nothing, they were in silent and calm.

The waitress was for the entire time arrogant and up-stage, and unfortunately spoke not at all good german.
For example when she brought out the drinks she could not all of them bring, because she had not enough big plate. It would be of course no problem. My brother then would like to ask, if his order was right, because he said just "Latte", and not "Latte Macchiato". So he just would like to be sure, that the right drink will come in the next round.
But the waitress didn't really understand the question, and she started to preaching very arrogant, and showing her plat to the face of my brother, that she didn't have more space on the plate, thats why she didn't bring it yet. We told, that is not a problem at all, we would like just to know, if the order was clear, or not.

Not just the service was bad, but all of the latte macchiatos were total cold, and the half of them was foam, furthermore the cakes had also a very bad quality.

The restaurant would be basically "fancy" according that belongs to a 5-star hotel, and accordign to the preises, but unfortunately also the service and also the products were bad.

So this visiting unfortunately ruined the end of our daytrip.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank KDora8
Reviewed June 20, 2019 via mobile

I have looked at The Grand Hotel, Giessbach with wonder on many occasions as I travelled upon Lake Brienz, snuggled amongst the trees high above the water, with the magnificent waterfall thundering down the hillside above. I had promised myself that on the next trip to Switzerland I’d go there to visit but never seemed to get the time, well today I decided the time had come and we should dine there for my wife’s birthday and after starting the day up the Schilterhorn for breakfast one would imagine it hard to top it with a more spectacular venue for dinner but we did.
The Grand Hotel is one of those places that everybody should visit at least once in their lifetime. Whether it is only to walk in the beautiful woods or garden, wonder at the majestic power of the waterfall or stare into the beauty that surrounds this little gem on all sides over Lake Brienz, it has to be experienced. Our dinner in “Les Cascades” restaurant was just beautiful, the restaurant sits at the base of the falls and our table was centre window facing the water cascading down through the trees. The starter of vegetable soup with mushroom topping was superb, the main course of Oberland beef for two was incredible, cooked medium and to perfection, sliced and served at the table, a mouth watering Bernaise sauce to accompany and desert of Rhubarb and sour cream mousse literally just topped off this superb dining experience.
Service was superb, the hotel manager Mark visited us during the meal to check our needs were being met and made our visit very personal and appreciated...
I cannot speak highly enough about this beautiful hotel and if our visit was anything to go by I could recommend this experience to anybody visiting this area, it could be as it was with us, the highlight of our holiday from Ireland. I cannot wait to come back and stay here next time, the thought of waking up in this little bit of heaven would just be incredible to experience...

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2019

Such a magical place and experience - I now recommend this hotel to all my friends when assisting them with Switzerland travel plans. Similar to another reviewer, we initially wanted to explore this property due to the Band of Brothers connection, however once we set foot on property it became so much more than a filming location. It is truly like stepping back in time with traditional decor and remote feel. Arrival by boat/funicular is easy and because the funicular was extremely empty, the funicular operator gave us a brief history of the funicular and property itself. Our first visit here was September 2018 and loved it so much, we returned in May of 2019 with four friends to share the experience with them

Date of stay: September 2018