“Overpriced for the Quality of the Food”

Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marina Dr and Fj Torras Cswy
Reviewed August 21, 2010

My wife and I had dinner here on 8/20/2010. We made a reservation through Open Table. We arrived in St. Simon's early so we decided to see if we could be seated early for dinner. I told them we had 6:30 reservations, but we were early and asked if they could seat us. They could, which was great, but then they called us a "no show" on Open Table! Apparently they don't know how to use the system.

We had the bruschetta appetizer. There wasn't much flavor and the bread was soggy. For dinner, I had the paella and my wife had the lobster and crab ravioli. Neither was actually *bad*, but it was one of the blandest meals either of us had ever had. We split the bread pudding for dessert and that was okay.

The service was excellent and the staff were friendly, but the food quality is not even remotely worth the price. There's no way I could recommend this place or would consider going back.

1  Thank JLassiter
There are newer reviews for Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar

Reviewed July 25, 2010

The waiter was nice but overworked; he kept apologizing. They ran out of the beer my husband ordered, and much later he was able to settle on a substitute. The glass was chipped, but he just waited and told the waiter at the end of the meal to retire the glass, because it would have been impossible to get another one in a timely manner.

My husband ordered fish tacos, which were acceptable, but very overpriced for this area. I ordered paella, and I have never had anything like this described as paella. The saffron, which gives paella the characteristic golden color, must have been omitted. The dish was as bland as hospital food and the rice was white and watery. We are residents of the area, and there are many better places to eat on the island. I cannot imagine anyone returning more than once.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

For starters, I ordered iced tea and it arrived in a dirty glass. Our waitress was so overwhelmed with the number of tables she was serving that she had no time to devote to us. I finally asked another server to bring me a coke. He returned to tell me that they were out of coke and offered to bring me sprite. I thanked him and he returned promptly with my drink. What I received was a glass of carbonated water. At that point, I just gave up and decided to drink iced water. My wife ordered the special but asked to have it without broccoli. When our dinner arrived, she had a plate full of broccoli upon which her entree was plated. My dinner was completely bland and without taste. I will never return to this restaurant, and I would not recommend it either.

2  Thank Ryrfan
Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stopped immediately upon arrival to the area - just in time for lunch on Wednesday, July 14 (2010). We were immediately seated and greeted by a bright and energetic waitress. She was quick to get our drinks, explain the menu and checked back on us frequently. The food (I had the Crab Cake BLT - my colleagues had salads) was great - not too much and cooked just right. The price was also very reasonable. Too bad we decided not to go back on Friday and instead visited Delaney's Bistro for lunch!

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I usually enjoy this restaurant but their Mother's Day Brunch was a bust. I had high hopes for a nice fun lunch with the wife and kids but it just did not happen. The staff seemed tired and sluggish from the night before. I had to ask three times for a server to come to our table. No bread at the table and extremely slow food service. The 'hostess' seemed more 'clueless' and considering we made it in before the 'church crowd', you would think they would have been more up to speed. On a brighter side, the food was tasty and hot and the view of the marina is excellent. So far, I am 50/50 on service at Coastal Kitchen. This makes my 9th visit and I can state this - although the food is good it is pricey and while the location is very nice - the service has been terrible each and every time I have eaten there. If you don't mind bad service, you'll enjoy the food and atmosphere. Secondarily, the $10 Margarita was the worst drink I have had in years and even though I specifically asked for no salt, salt rimmed the glass. Sadly, I would probably point friends to another location.

For those who might think I am just a demanding patron, it is not so. I worked as a waiter in college at very upscale restaurant, I eat out regularly and am a very friendly diner and good tipper. I know bad service when I experience it.