“Best meal of our trip to St. Simons Island”

Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marina Dr and Fj Torras Cswy
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Best meal of our trip to St. Simons Island”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

During a brief visit to the coast, my family and I stopped in for dinner at Coastal Kitchen on the suggestion of a friend. We had a delicious meal and a thoroughly pleasant experience. I started with a half dozen raw oysters. This was followed by a kids fried shrimp for my son - large, lightly battered, and he subbed out the fries for an order of white cheddar grits so large that he couldn't come close to finishing it. My daughter enjoyed the shrimp and grits with andouille sausage; thumbs up from her. My wife and I both enjoyed a pan seared grouper special with cheddar grits and sauteed vegetables. Everything tasted fresh, and while the seafood was outstanding it was almost a shame how good the grits were - they almost stole the show! We skipped dessert but marked this place down as a keeper for return visits to the area.

• Visited March 2014

Saint Simons Island, GA
“Good food, O.K. service, very noisy.”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I'm a local who hadn't been here before and went, at the request of my daughter, for her 22nd birthday. The restaurant was not packed, but the service seemed a bit slow compared to their competitors. The food did not disappoint, and lived up to its reputation. However, if you are a visitor to Saint Simons, and you do not wish to feel as if you are in a high school cafeteria, I would pass on Coastal Kitchen. The noise was simply unbelievable. During the entire night I could not hear my wife and daughter, at a table for three, unless they shouted. I'm not exaggerating. There must be something wrong with the acoustics related to the design. I have no idea what the owners can do about it, but I would not go back for that reason.

2 Thank pdlenter
Savannah, Georgia
“Best Shrimp and Grits in town!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The butternut squash shrimp-n-grits is amazing for anyone willing to try a non-tradiitional option. The lobster nachos are big enough to feed two. The location is perfect for a date or showing off our coastal views to visitors. We've enjoyed viewing dolphins, rays and all manner of sea birds from the pier while waiting for our table.

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Duck Confit was super!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our meal at Coastal Kitchen this Saturday evening was SO good that I wanted to do another review even though I've previously reviewed this restaurant and given it an excellent rating.

One of the specials that evening was the duck confit and special it was! So flavorful and tender, the leg of duck was served on a bed of mushroom risotto that also lived up to the overall excellence of the meal.

Our waiter, James (Jimmy) did a great job of describing the dish and the steps that go into making a confit and really had me looking forward to my entree. The wine paring - a crisp Pinot Gris, was perfect.

Thank you Coastal Kitchen for a wonderful evening.

• Visited February 2014
jeff m, Owner at Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Chris...The duck confit does rock!!! So much so that we run it as a special every weekend...hope to see you over the summer...Jeff
Harmony, Maine
“Gritty oysters and more”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We've been to the Coastal Kitchen twice now, and it just doesn't measure up. The first visit featured a server whose name might have been Cypher since that's the amount of personality he seemed to have. Oysters that night were good, but the entrees -- shrimp & grits for me, paella for my spouse -- were mediocre and also served unpleasantly scorching hot like they'd come out of a blast furnace. On the second visit, our (different) server was somewhat more cheerful at least. However, the oysters were full of shell bits and grit, discouraging us from a second round. Other problems: my burger ordered medium rare came practically well done. Spouse's chicken dish was short on bird, maybe five or six slices equal to half a breast, with too much feta and olives accompanying it. The worst part of this less-than-great experience was THE NOISE! It was a busy night so the din was at a level requiring YELLING across the table. Or texting maybe would have worked better. Fortunately, an excellent martini helped calm my nerves, and that's the only compliment I can give.

• Visited January 2014
5 Thank courage_fan
jeff m, Owner at Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I would like to begin by apologizing for the gritty oysters and the overdone burger. My question is did you let someone know that there was a problem? I promise we would have bent over backwards to make the situation right had we been given the opportunity.

In regards to the compliant about the food being served too hot.... I am at an utter loss. First complaint I have ever had about steaming hot food being delivered to a table.

In regards to the server refer to as "Cypher" I must admit I had no idea what you were talking a about so I googled for a definition.

cypher - a person of no influence

How dare you be so insulting to another human being. This statement discredits your entire review in my opinion, My staff and i eagerly await your apology.